• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Zumo 665

T

Toadmanor

I have been using a Garmin 2730 for a few years. I really like it and use the XM radio and weather. I have it connected to my Autocom unit and all works nicely. However the touch screen has gotten progressively more funky. It randomly acts as if it has been "touched" so randomly selects something or goes into calibration mode.

So I have been lusting after a Zumo 665. Seems to have all the features I would want. It also has Bluetooth. The only Bluetooth device I have is my iPhone. So with my Autocom why would I want Bluetooth?

The only thing I can think of would be to connect my iPhone via Bluetooth and play my iTunes music through the Zumo/Autocom. Would that work?

What else should I be thinking of before I drop $950?

Someone posted, I believe over on ADV, about successfully resurrecting a 2610 touchscreen using an iPhone screen protector sheet. Might be worth a shot if you want to keep the 2730.

i have a zumo 550. I use the bluetooth for the phone. I like that all of my contacts are right there and if someone I know calls me I can see their name on the screen before I answer. I also have XM and Autocom. So the phone is bluetoothed to the Zumo, which then sends everything through the Autocom. Works fine.

The only thing I can think of would be to connect my iPhone via Bluetooth and play my iTunes music through the Zumo/Autocom. Would that work?

First of all, there's a $100 rebate right now and GPS City has the 665 for about $850.

Here's what I do with my iPhone, Autocom, and Zumo...

The phone is connected to the Zumo via bluetooth. The Zumo is connected to the autocom via mic and speaker cable. I use the MP3 player in the Zumo for music. The Zumo is "control central" for phone, music, navigation, xmradio, navtraffic and navweather.

You might need an Autocom interface for the Zumo. I have no idea if your old Garmin needed one or not, but the Zumo definitely does.

I have been using a Garmin 2730 for a few years. I really like it and use the XM radio and weather. I have it connected to my Autocom unit and all works nicely. However the touch screen has gotten progressively more funky. It randomly acts as if it has been "touched" so randomly selects something or goes into calibration mode.

So I have been lusting after a Zumo 665. Seems to have all the features I would want. It also has Bluetooth. The only Bluetooth device I have is my iPhone. So with my Autocom why would I want Bluetooth?

You can buy it for $919.00 free shipping with a Garmin $100 rebate, drops it to $819.00 and it comes with the XM 40 antenna!

The 665 has it's own MP3 player so you don't need to use the phone for tunes. I have to assume the sound quality would be better coming directly from the Zumo to a Bluetooth headset. pair the phone to the zumo and pair your headset to the Zumo!

If all you want is Bluetooth phone, Nav. and Mp3 ( and you would have XM Radio access if you want it too)I don't think you need the autocom. The 665 will do it already. You need the autocom to add Radar dectector, bike to bike and intercom all integrated with all sources.

Although, JM corp. now has bluetooth intercom or hardwired intercom directly to the drivers headset. The drawbacks there are mono only to passenger if hardwired to Driver's headset. if Bluetooth to driver's headset when in intercom mode, no other sources are available.

For now I will be set up as above with a hardwire to my passenger. she does not ride with me that often, but at least we can talk to each other. Her sound will be mono. One advantage to JM Corp. is they generally build their units to be software upgradeable when new firmware is available. When they do have blutooth with music and intercom avaialble I would just have to buy her a new control unit, and use the same speakers already in her helmet or if they develop strereo hardwired capability to the passenger from the driver.

Last edited:
I have the Zumo 550 with Autocom. MP3, Nav prompts, XM and radar are wired connections. The Autocom auto-muting workks great with all these devices. My iphone is bluetooth to the Zumo as a phone. The Autocom is bluetooth to the Zumo as a headset. Bluetooth ONLY handles the phone connections. Keeping the phone connectitons all bluetooth allows you to have stereo music. And being able to control music and phone from the Zumo is sweet!

From what I've learned, the advantage of the 665 is that is INCLUDES the XM receiver (there may be some other bling items). That's cool if you want XM. Otherwise, Zumo 550's can be bought for about half the price of a 665.

I have the Zumo 550 with Autocom. MP3, Nav prompts, XM and radar are wired connections. The Autocom auto-muting workks great with all these devices. My iphone is bluetooth to the Zumo as a phone. The Autocom is bluetooth to the Zumo as a headset. Bluetooth ONLY handles the phone connections. Keeping the phone connectitons all bluetooth allows you to have stereo music. And being able to control music and phone from the Zumo is sweet!

This has been noted before, but the above set up is the way to go. The Zumo actually has two bluetooth systems in it. One for your phone connecting to your Zumo and the other for your Zumo to connect by Bluetooth to the Autocom. An additional bluetooth module needs to be purchased from Autocom and it gets plugged into the Aux1 where the phone would normally be hard wired.

When connected correctly, your Zumo will display both a phone icon and an earphone icon since it's outputting to the Autocom as if it's an aux earphone. Works great!

An additional bluetooth module needs to be purchased from Autocom and it gets plugged into the Aux1 where the phone would normally be hard wired.

It should be noted that connections depend on which Autocom variation you own.

I think you guys are missing something here or maybe i am misunderstanding something?

i have no Autocom or "central" system other then the Zumo.

Just a Blackberry Storm and a JM Bluetooth stereo headset. Both are paired to the Zumo 665, Again if all you want is the XM services (including the x-tra weather, traffic and Radio) , Mp3 , Nav Directions and Cell Phone through your headset you need nothing else.

If you want to add bike to bike comm. Radar Detector, passenger services equal to driver, then you need something like the Autocom.

for the times when the wife is riding with me, she will have a JM headset hardwired to my headset, which allows intercom and music to her mono.

Am I missing something here?

First of all, there's a $100 rebate right now and GPS City has the 665 for about $850.

Here's what I do with my iPhone, Autocom, and Zumo...

The phone is connected to the Zumo via bluetooth. The Zumo is connected to the autocom via mic and speaker cable. I use the MP3 player in the Zumo for music. The Zumo is "control central" for phone, music, navigation, xmradio, navtraffic and navweather.

You might need an Autocom interface for the Zumo. I have no idea if your old Garmin needed one or not, but the Zumo definitely does.

gpscity price is $899.95 after the rebate.

I paid $819.00 after the rebate at www.megagps.com

But they have increased the price now also to $899.95 after the rebate.

Yes, thanks, I got that, but it seemd like folks were implying that a full system like an Autocom was a "Mandatory" piece of the pie, to get Phone, Nav and Music.

Since it was mentioned that the Zumo was being used in conjunction with an Autocom system I was merely noting an ideal set up for pairing those two items.

Whatever works for you is fine.

gpscity price is $899.95 after the rebate.

It's not uncommon for GPS City to vary pricing. I paid them $869.95 on May 21. The $100 rebate has been sent in, which makes it $769.95. I sold the Zumo 550 for $415, which makes the net cost of the upgrade $354.95.

I'm happy.

Back