• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Purchase Question

tourunigo

(1992, K1100LT) After unknowingly 'blowing up' my old 2820 Garmin (soldering wires on live unit :banghead), I am looking for a new unit. Would like to have Nav 5 but $$$$$ so looked at a 590LM and thought it more approachable, dollar-wise- although still significant $. However, a friend suggested that I look at a 660LM where my modest expectations for a GPS matched my financial frugalness. Question: what would be some considerations (+ & - ) regarding the 660LM? Thanks for your thoughts on this. - Bob

Last edited:
(1992, K1100LT) After unknowingly 'blowing up' my old 2820 Garmin (soldering wires on live unit :banghead), I am looking for a new unit. Would like to have Nav 5 but $$$$$ so looked at a 590LM and thought it more approachable, dollar-wise- although still significant $. However, a friend suggested that I look at a 660LM where my modest expectations for a GPS matched my financial frugalness. Question: what would be some considerations (+ & - ) regarding the 660LM? Thanks for your thoughts on this. - Bob

That depends on what you want/need in a GPS. I have had a dozen or more Garmin units starting with a III before the III+ came out. I now have a 660 which I like a lot. It is less versatile in setting flexibility than my 276 was but much better visibility than the 2600-2700-2800 street pilots were.

The only quirk I hate is that it has to be at 1.2 mile or shorter range for the waypoints to be visible on the screen. Routing is good. Tabular data is OK. Points of interest are more-or-less up to date but it is an older unit.

I do not own the 660LM but based upon the other forums I read that model is met favorably.

Another option is to hang tight for a little while longer for the VI to release which will in turn drop the V down from $$$$$ to maybe $$$$ - which is not far from the $$$ 660LM. Imho, the roi just might be the best with the V.

(1992, K1100LT) After unknowingly 'blowing up' my old 2820 Garmin (soldering wires on live unit :banghead), I am looking for a new unit. Would like to have Nav 5 but $$$$$ so looked at a 590LM and thought it more approachable, dollar-wise- although still significant $. However, a friend suggested that I look at a 660LM where my modest expectations for a GPS matched my financial frugalness.

If you decide on a 660 you can still buy a new one for $328. https://smile.amazon.com/Garmin-Zum...=UTF8&qid=1488909205&sr=8-1&keywords=zumo+660

A couple days a go I saw 2 used Nav V units for sale on ADV. One for $500 shipped and one for $525 shipped.

Since the K1100 will not integrate with a Nav V I don't think the V would be worth the extra money.

Bob, here's a chart that will give you a good overview of the physical and feature differences, it;s from GPS Central in Calgary.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/zumoseriescomparison.html

I went from a StreetPilot 2730 (very similar to your 2820) to a 390LM (smaller version of the 590LM with not quite as many features). I noticed a big improvement naturally and am now using a Nav-V which is very nice, but isn't miles ahead of the 590LM.

The beauty of the 660LM is that it a) is reasonably priced - likely the most bank-for-the-buck and b) will fit a BMW Nav-IV and Nav-V mount.

What the extra money for a 590LM would get you (that would be a plus for me) is a larger screen, Garmins "Curvy Roads", Round Trip, and Exit Services. Those are the items/features that I would use on a regular basis that I'd appreciate, but certainly, YMMV. So, for me, it would come down to me making a decision on if those additional features on the 590 that I'd like are worht the additional coin. With my dimishing vision, I find the larger screens helpful, and Exit Services has usefull on long trips (only works on limited-access highways).

Like your 2820, both will get you there and back quite well, it is mostly a matter of which features/abilities that are different between the two are of any importance to you, and how important ($$$) are they. Always a dilema.

Bob:
I just acquired a 660LM from Amazon for $310 and here are my findings so far:
The RAM mount that comes with it may take some finagling to get to work.
I have not noticed anything crazy in regards to routing. The BaseCamp software has done a great job of transferring my route preferences onto the unit. The 660LM does not come with the "twisty" preference option on the unit itself, but BaseCamp does. Used it for the first time yesterday and it did a decent job if keeping me off of major state routes, highways and interstates. Not a lot of curvy roads running around in Johnston and Wake Counties (NC), though it did keep us on mostly back roads.
In a few weeks I am attending a gathering in Maggie Valley, NC and will use this unit a lot. I will be able to have a much better review of the 660LM then.

I got the 660LM due to others reviews, opinions and not having the $$$ for either a used Nav 5, let alone a 395 and 595.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Mike

If you decide on a 660 you can still buy a new one for $328. https://smile.amazon.com/Garmin-Zum...=UTF8&qid=1488909205&sr=8-1&keywords=zumo+660

A couple days a go I saw 2 used Nav V units for sale on ADV. One for $500 shipped and one for $525 shipped.

Since the K1100 will not integrate with a Nav V I don't think the V would be worth the extra money.

Mmmm.... Lee - thanks for the correction. You are correct if the V does not integrate with the K1100, not worth it. My mistake - thought we all ride R 1200 RS in the fast Granite Grey Metallic Matte. :thumb

Mmmm.... You are correct if the V does not integrate with the K1100, not worth it. My mistake - thought we all ride R 1200 RS in the fast Granite Grey Metallic Matte. :thumb
I do not own the 660LM but based upon the other forums I read that model is met favorably.
Another option is to hang tight for a little while longer for the VI to release which will in turn drop the V down from $$$$$ to maybe $$$$ - which is not far from the $$$ 660LM. Imho, the roi just might be the best with the V.
I ran a 660 on my FJR and used it for listening to route directions that I programmed in. Excellent unit, but like a lot of Gamins, the screen is too small. The Mark V with its integration into the R1200GS LC is the best GPS since buck wheat. But that is only because of the integration. So waiting for the Mark VI really isn't an option. The 660 run thru a Sena 20S for navigation is as good as anything.

Thanks to all! Running unit through Sena with Sat Radio (albeit for infrequent use). And, as pointed out earlier, my aging, up close visual, is getting somewhat challenging. Wanted the 5" for that reason (have it in my truck). However, likely to go with the 660LM and put any extra (HA!) funds toward the tires. Side note: that 5" that I have in the truck will, again, be velcro'd on the back of my jacket for Mary's use :hug . That combo has come in handy as well as providing some copilot activity for Mary.

Again, thanks for the valued information and suggestions. See you in SLC. - Bob

Bob, I purchased a refurbished 590LM last fall after looking at it, the 595, 660, 390, 395 and the TomTom. The link I provided doesn't show the 590LM there anymore. That's probably something that changes on availability. If you go the "refurbished" route, what I found was everything I received looked brand new. I even got the full "new" warranty from Garmin, not some third-party warranty. The only difference I could see was that I saved about $250.

I went with the 590LM for a couple reasons:
  • Screen size was 5 inches. That's more glove friendly and much easier to read with aging eyes than the smaller screen size.
  • Garmin's traffic subscription was a one-time cost, versus an annual renewal like with TomTom.
  • I wanted the "Curvy Roads" option.
  • The screen is brighter than the older 660/665.
  • The feature list is almost as good as the 595LM.

So far, I've been pleased. I've used it commuting through the winter here in Seattle and the unit seems weather proof. It integrates easily with a smartphone app that will feed you traffic and weather updates. Route guidance is easy to follow both visually (because of the large screen and brightness) and through my Sena headset.

Chris

Bob, I purchased a refurbished 590LM last fall after looking at it, the 595, 660, 390, 395 and the TomTom. The link I provided doesn't show the 590LM there anymore. That's probably something that changes on availability. If you go the "refurbished" route, what I found was everything I received looked brand new. I even got the full "new" warranty from Garmin, not some third-party warranty. The only difference I could see was that I saved about $250.

I went with the 590LM for a couple reasons:
  • Screen size was 5 inches. That's more glove friendly and much easier to read with aging eyes than the smaller screen size.
  • Garmin's traffic subscription was a one-time cost, versus an annual renewal like with TomTom.
  • I wanted the "Curvy Roads" option.
  • The screen is brighter than the older 660/665.
  • The feature list is almost as good as the 595LM.

So far, I've been pleased. I've used it commuting through the winter here in Seattle and the unit seems weather proof. It integrates easily with a smartphone app that will feed you traffic and weather updates. Route guidance is easy to follow both visually (because of the large screen and brightness) and through my Sena headset.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Will keep my eyes open for refurbished deals. The real PITA for me is if I buy in the U.S. I have the exchange rate to deal with so must be careful in that regard. - Bob

Back