• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin GPS and Battery Chargers

Kentuckyblue

Bluegrass Rider
I wanted to share an educational experience that I just had. Perhaps it will be of value to you as well.
I recently purchased a new GPS and while scanning through the quick start guide ran across this statement: "Remove the device from the motorcycle mount before connecting a battery charger to your motorcycle".
I was curious as to why, and asked numerous others for their thoughts. I even asked a dealership representative. No one had ever heard of this. I have previously used GPS's for years and had never heard of or done this.
My unit is a BMW Motorrad Navigator VI, made by Garmin. So I contacted Garmin Tech Support with my question. This is their reply:

Hello Ray,

Connecting a battery charger to your motorcycle while the device is connected can cause too much electrical current to be provided to the Navigator resulting in a device which no longer functions.*
Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Alex
Product Support*- Auto OEM Team
Garmin International

My previous units were earlier BMW Navigators and I never had a problem; however, considering the cost I will follow the recommended procedure.

Hope you find this informative.

Ray

My Garmin Navigator V has been on my motorcycle and hooked to a tender for 3 years when not riding. It still functions. I have never heard this before either, and I don't imagine it will change what I do. I don't think it can hurt a thing unless you power up the device while hooked to the charger.

Good to be safe rather than sorry.

I suspect it is very much like static electricity, not good for electrical components and one is supposed to take several precautions when working on most anything electrical to avoid a static electricity discharge which can damage/destroy electrical components, but it rarely happens.

Rarely doesn't mean won't, just means rarely and I'd think the Garmin/BMW stance is in the same camp. Some chargers will kick out a fairly heavy shot under certain conditions, and some are likely much less stable than we'd be comfortable with if we actually saw what they were doing.

Good idea to remove it anyway as the Nav-V and Nav-VI at least don't turn off with the bike. They simply go into their standby mode and draw a small amount of current. I always pull mine if the bike is going to be stationary for over a week, just to eliminate that tiny bit of parasitic draw.

Back