• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 590LM GPS - $519

daboo

I stumbled upon a "deal" this week and put in my order. FactoryOutletStore.com is selling refurbished Garmin 590LM devices for $519 with free shipping. (For that price, they should!)

Some of you will look at "refurbished" and walk away. This gps has the full Garmin warranty. Often all that has happened is someone opened the box and decided they wanted something different. The item gets returned to the manufacturer and thoroughly checked out...and then sold at a large discount. How much of a discount? Well, the 595LM is $899 and a 590LM is $799.

The difference between the 590LM and 595LM is very little. Which might be why Revzilla has put the 590LM on closeout. My thinking is that Garmin feels the less expensive model is cutting into their profits for the higher priced 595LM. How long will the 590LM be around as a new model? How long will you be able to find a refurbished model? Your guess is as good as mine.

Short story...well, maybe long. ;)

I went to the BMW MOA Getaway event at Coeur d'Alene last Friday. I used my old reliable car GPS for the trip over. No problems...till I got to the other end. By then, the sun was coming behind me and washed out the screen, even though I have a very large sunshade on the GPS. I almost missed a freeway off-ramp and I did miss a couple of turns. I couldn't see the GPS screen, I was in traffic, and since there was no Bluetooth, I couldn't hear any instructions either.

On Saturday, I decided to combine the car GPS (for the visual) with my cell phone GPS (for the verbal). In theory, it should be great, but the reality wasn't. They both had different ideas of where to go, even with the same preferences.

On Sunday, I decided to use just the cell phone GPS with the TomTom app. I knew the way home, but wanted to just see how it worked on a trip like that. Well, it worked super...sort of. I hit a bump on the freeway and the screen flipped. If I stood on my head, I could read it. So I went a few more miles and while fiddling with it at 70 mph, it went to portrait mode...while in the mount in landscape mode. If I could only lay sideways on the seat, I could look at the screen correctly. :rolleyes1: A hundred or so miles down the road, I took a break and got it situated correctly. If I hadn't known where I was going, this whole screen flipping could've been an issue...especially if it continued.

The other issue is part way through, the battery level started going down, even though the cell phone was plugged in. I only had the GPS program and an MP3 program running. The screen was on full brightness, and the sun had come out. Since I want to use the excellent camera on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on my post-retirement trip, this is/was a concern. By the time I got home, I was pretty convinced the time had come to quit kludging together a GPS system for my rides. The old car GPS worked great when I had only a couple turns to make on fairly low traffic and familiar roads. But in unfamiliar territory and with lots of traffic, it was out of its league.

$519 is not cheap. But compared to the cost of a new "motorcycle" GPS...it's a bargain.

Chris

Amazon had the 590LM on sale for a brief period back in July for $600. Annie bought me one for my birthday. The 590 replaced a seven year old 450 and I'm very happy with it.

Thinking we are near replacement of our two " vintage "550's. Both of us are losing the rubber buttons, the large power button hopped out on hers this week:banghead

The duct tape repairs are getting old:laugh

Back