• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gaiters on an "83 R65?

grover1949

I've got a 1983 R65 and need to rebuild the forks. Can I put a set of gaiters on them? If so, what modifications / changes / parts will I need?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Front_Lft.jpg
    Front_Lft.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 68
Off the top of my head, you'll need the gators, four clamps, and an open roll pins stuck in the lower yoke to let the gators breathe. You'll have to drop the sliders and lose the caps on the top of the sliders that are there now. Since you have the sliders off, you might as well replace the fork seals. You should really look at the fork tubes to make sure there are no stone bruises or imperfections in the surface. Otherwise, those will tear up the fork seals pretty quickly.

If the lower yoke assembly wasn't meant for gators, I'm not sure there's a place for the upper clamp to attach to. You'll need that to secure the top of the gator.

Snowbum has a little bit on this on his page:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/miscl.htm

If the lower yoke assembly wasn't meant for gators, I'm not sure there's a place for the upper clamp to attach to.

Basically there is no "place" for the upper clamp to attach. Other than the breather "roll pin" preventing the gaiter from rotating, the top end of the gaiter bears directly on the top of the stanchion tube; the upper end of the gaiter is "thicker" than the lower end that fits over the slider. All 247s use a 36mm diameter stanchion tube, so it's "just" a matter of determining which length gaiter you need - 11, 13 rib.

But more problematic may be the outside diameter of the top of the fork slider that the gaiter fits over. Easy enough to determine.

DSCN0847.JPG

31422002115.jpg

edit - I'm guessing, from Josh's project, that the diameter of the slider is not an issue.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back