• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fundraiser for the Ultimate Coast to Coast World Record Attempt

not everyone needs the same amount of sleep to function normally.
To the guy who needs 8 hours a night, changing to 5 might have a devastating effect.
To the guy who needs 4, three might not be so bad.

Just because one person can't/won't do something doesn't automatically make it unsafe for everyone.
To compare John's ride to the constant stress of a flat-out race is apples and oranges.

To use a comparison of one highly skilled motorcycle rider with a law regulating truckers at the lowest common denominator for all of them is also apples and oranges.

Several riders in the endurance community heard of Egan setting the record a few years back and though "I could beat that". I never found the time to attempt it, but I certainly believe it's doable--I calculate by about 5 hours. Plan wisely the 13 or 14 fuel stops needed, have arrangements in place for the hotel stop or three and then go.

Something many don't understand is that much of endurance riding isn't about how you ride--it's about how you stop. If you can run 5+ hours at a time non-stop, that's only three stops per day. your fourth stop comes when you stop for fuel/hotel.
Keep the speed at 65/70/75 the rest of the time and see how easy it can be to stay above the needed average.

Not everyone can do everything.
Some don't have the skills needed to participate in this type of event.
I couldn't run a marathon.
My friend can't do brain surgery.

....but I have to wonder why someone who hasn't done the activity in question feels the need to tell others "how it really is", or what a rider with skills unknown to them is capable of doing.

RyanBrunswick021.jpg

John Ryan has already broken 24 hour records in
  • New York
  • Washington, DC
  • San Francisco
This run is more a measure of
  • the machine
  • road conditions
  • fortuitous timing

Hey Rev, Is Lyle still riding your back seat?

After several hundred thousand miles (including five Iron Butt Rallies) Lyle retired a few years back. He assumed that meant he'd be put out for stud service--he's been kinda disappointed in that department :mad

World Record Attempt

John Ryan needs our help to set a new World Record.
:)

This thread was to raise awareness of an event and a call to interested members to support a fellow rider, it should be nothing more than that.

Its as if one of our members is riding for charity in and for a foreign land, you can support them or not. Don't degrade or attempt to invalidate a dream of another. If you don't like the story or ad turn the page.

This thread was to raise awareness of an event and a call to interested members to support a fellow rider, it should be nothing more than that.

Its as if one of our members is riding for charity in and for a foreign land, you can support them or not. Don't degrade or attempt to invalidate a dream of another. If you don't like the story or ad turn the page.

Thanks for getting the thread back on track. My contribution will be sent tonight .

So are you saying that ONLY those who are supporting this questionable endeavor are allowed to post about it?

This is not a charity ride it is a ego driven event.
Last year I thought that commercial links were banned from members signatures but now its OK to beg for money for someone's joy ride.:nono

The OP did not post this as a commercial advertisement, nor was it spammed all over the forum. It also wasn't simply "give this guy money", it was "hey, this guy is doing something I think is cool, feel free to help him out if you want". I don't see it being much past "poker run" events in the events section.

At this point, if you want to donate to the cause then donate, and if not that's fine, too. In the meantime, while I've voiced my concerns (and honestly I never would have if I knew people were going to start taking things to the level they have gotten to - on all sides), I will be interested to hear how this works out for him. I'd be interested, after the fact (as it may be "confidential") to see what his schedule looked like - planned vs actual for fuel and rest stops. I'm going to assume he will be eating on the move.

I hope we can all wish him a safe ride! :thumb

When John gets here I plan on starting a thread to provide info and pictures of his time here. Depending on the timing of his ride I may ride up the haul road and try to get a picture or two as he passes by (I would ride with him and pass him for some action shots, but there is the small problem of me not having the required riding or photographic talent to do so). John has let me know that he does not mind me doing so.

Just so it is not a surprise to everyone, he is riding a FJR not his beemer for this attempt. Most would think it a noteworthy accomplishment just to do the road on a FJR.

Statdog,

You say ONLY those that want to support should post then drop this little gem at the end. "here is mine, freedom of press from a fellow veteran."

First off this isn't the press. Secondly if there is any freedom there has to be freedom for the opposing opinion to be voiced. Make up your mind, is this going to be your simple cheerleader utopia idea here on the board or is there really freedom? :scratch

Stuff2c, how many of those records were done on public roadways, in traffic with folks who not only not asked if they mind participating in the risk or even have any idea that there is some kind of race record going on?

If this guy wants to set some kind of endurance record he is certainly welcome to do so. On a sanctioned, monitored and safe track where the risk is to himself in trying for a record. The event can then be monitored, recorded and verified that he actually achieved what he set out to do.

/MOD HAT ON

All, please keep your posts on-topic about the ride or rider. Posting your opinion is allowed, but sniping at each other will not be tolerated anywhere on the forum and will result in moderation actions. Thanks.

/MOD HAT OFF

Iron Butt Association has very carefully defined methods of documentation. I am confident John will get the witness signatures and fuel receipts needed to satisfy scrutiny of his ride.

Update

Had a voice mail from John Ryan today. He is in Minot, ND sorting out some issues with his bike. Leaves tomorrow and expects to be in Fairbanks by Thursday. Needs to fix a problem with his CB when he gets here; an important tool for his try at the record. If all goes well he could start the run next weekend.

Too bad he could not hold to his original schedule that had him starting this weekend. The weather is dry and warm. Annie and I rode up the Dalton today to have lunch at the Hot Spot Cafe (5 miles north of the Yukon) and the road is in great shape. Hope it stays that way for John.

More to follow.....

Had a voice mail from John Ryan today. He is in Minot, ND sorting out some issues with his bike. Leaves tomorrow and expects to be in Fairbanks by Thursday. Needs to fix a problem with his CB when he gets here; an important tool for his try at the record. If all goes well he could start the run next weekend.

Too bad he could not hold to his original schedule that had him starting this weekend. The weather is dry and warm. Annie and I rode up the Dalton today to have lunch at the Hot Spot Cafe (5 miles north of the Yukon) and the road is in great shape. Hope it stays that way for John.

More to follow.....

It has to be hard to plan for something like this that covers such a distance - especially when weather is involved. Had he left this weekend he might have caught Memorial Day traffic, or maybe some of the heavy rainstorms moving across the lower 48. Hopefully next weekend looks good for him, and it stays dry up in your neck of the woods so the Dalton is a fast, safe ride for him.

John arrived tonight in Fairbanks. He was sitting in my driveway when I got home from playing golf at 2100 hrs. He may leave for Prudhoe as early as Saturday morning. Has some maintenance to take care of and the weather up north may be iffy. He certainly does not let the grass grow under his feet. It's 2300 hrs and he just left for Walmart to get an oil filter so he can change his oil tonight.

Back