• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fundraiser for the Ultimate Coast to Coast World Record Attempt

Voni

sMiling
Staff member
World Record Attempt

John Ryan needs our help to set a new World Record.

I know Paul and I will lend our support.

From John:
A study of my spectacular failure
last year concludes that breaking the motorcycle
record of 96 hours, one minute from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska
to Key West, Florida is very attainable. Therefore, I
have no choice other than to try again.

To this end, friends and supporters have arranged a
fundraiser lunch in New Brunswick, New Jersey, on
Saturday, May 2nd. Evelyn's Restaurant will provide a
buffet of both carnivorous and vegetarian dishes, as well
as a cash bar, from 1 to 5PM.

Evelyn's Restaurant & Bar
45 Easton Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
732-246-8792

Bob Higdon will supply caustic wisdom, and Melissa
Pierson, author of "The Perfect Vehicle - What It is About
Motorcycles" will have signed copies of her book
available. A trophy will be awarded to the long distance
rider.

Tickets will cost $100 per person. They can be
purchased, and donations to the effort in any amount can
be made through PayPal, by sending money to johncharlesryan@yahoo.com.

Thank you, and best regards,
John Ryan

I'll provide whatever on the ground support I can while he's in the Fairbanks area. I can help with accomodations, garage space etc. I'll try to contact him via email.

According to google, Prudhoe Bay to Key West is 5566 miles. Dividing that by 96 hours means you have to average 57.979mph for the duration of the 96 hours. That doesn't account for sleep, food and fuel stops, or the fact that averaging nearly 60mph on the Dalton is not likely.

Doesn't sound terribly safe to me. :dunno

I'm all for people attempting great (or not so great), daring (or just plain dumb), feats. Not so much for asking other people to pay for them.

According to google, Prudhoe Bay to Key West is 5566 miles. Dividing that by 96 hours means you have to average 57.979mph for the duration of the 96 hours. That doesn't account for sleep, food and fuel stops, or the fact that averaging nearly 60mph on the Dalton is not likely.

Doesn't sound terribly safe to me. :dunno

Probably not for you or me.:dunno

John Ryan is a whole other rider!

And as to asking for funding, pass it on by if it's not your cup of tea.

But I'd like to feel part of this effort, so I'm willing to ask.:whistle

Voni
sMiling

There are tales of riders doing the Deadhorse to Fairbanks run at average speeds approaching 100 MPH. I'm more likely to average 10 then 100, but it is actually a place to bank some time since it is not heavily patrolled.

Established contact with John and will provide him a place to stay along with a mutual friend from Glennallen who is assisting him.

The man who did the 1k/24hrs entirely in manhattan, not sure if i can make the dinner, but maybe i can send a little something his way. One of NYC's more interesting motorcycle personalities.

Probably not for you or me.:dunno

John Ryan is a whole other rider!

But I'd like to feel part of this effort, so I'm willing to ask.:whistle

Voni
sMiling

He may be a whole other rider Voni, however that doesn't make it safe for him or other users of the road.

Regards, Rod.

Although I won't be able to attend the dinner, I will send a contribution. John Ryan, as those of you who know him, is one determined man. He talks about his "spectacular failure", which he truly believes. However, for us normal beings, while he didn't set a new record in his last attempt, he missed by only a few hours (five?). Not only did John set the record for New York, but also Washington, DC and more recently San Francisco - riding about 1500 miles in 24 hours! John has to be one of the smoothest riders going - he lapped others while setting his San Francisco record!

Best of luck, John!

Muriel

No ordinary human being?

How about this kid:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_0509_2005_motcyclist_year/index.html

Or ways we can support his cause:

http://www.pbtfus.org/rideforkids/calendar/2009/

If some guy wants to break a record, good for him. If asking for us to fund it is the best way he can figure out how to support his own ego gratification, you're right, I have the option to pass. I also reserve the right to call attention to other riders seeking our participation in accomplishing a goal.

The man who did the 1k/24hrs entirely in manhattan, not sure if i can make the dinner, but maybe i can send a little something his way. One of NYC's more interesting motorcycle personalities.
Watch that Derek.. John's a Jersey Boy, born and bred.. he just wanders into NYC for money.

Voni - if you and Paul want a place to stay for the fundraiser, we'll probably have the house pretty much done by then. Beats a tent in John's backyard.. (plus I'm sure I can find something for Paul to rebuild in the garage..)

John Ryan top ramen challenge

O.K. When I heard about the chance to support John Ryan in his ultimate
coast to coast ride, I was psyched. To think I could be a small part of
his record setting felt really good. Then I realized the timing was
off. The date of the dinner was GRANDPARENTS day in Iowa for Noah AND
Brody. So we couldn't go. Bummer.

But I knew he'd make it without us. After all Pontiac was his key
sponsor. Until yesterday. Just kidding!

What to do! I decided Paul and I could forego our Friday night dinner at
the Freestate Brewery in Lawrence, Kansas. And I'm sure Paul could cook
up a nutritious inexpensive meal at home.

And I could paypal my small support to johncharlesryan@yahoo.com.

Life is good again.

If you found yourself faced with the same tough choices, I'd be
eternally grateful if you could meet my challenge.

Voni
sMiling

> > **** John's message about his event ****
> >
> > A study of my spectacular failure
> > last year concludes that breaking the motorcycle record of 96 hours, one minute from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, Florida is very attainable. Therefore, I have no choice other than to try again.
> >
> > To this end, friends and supporters have arranged a fundraiser lunch in New Brunswick, New Jersey, on Saturday, May 2nd. Evelyn's Restaurant will provide a buffet of both carnivorous and vegetarian dishes, as well as a cash bar, from 1 to 5PM.
> >
> > Evelyn's Restaurant & Bar
> > 45 Easton Avenue
> > New Brunswick, NJ 08901
> > 732-246-8792
> >
> > Bob Higdon will provide caustic wisdom, and Melissa Pierson, author of "The Perfect Vehicle - What It Is About Motorcycles" will have signed copies of her book available. A trophy will be awarded to the long distance rider.
> >
> > Tickets will cost $100 per person. They can be purchased, and donations to the effort made, through PayPal, by sending money to johncharlesryan@yahoo.com.
> >
> > Thank you, and best regards,
> > John Ryan

Last edited:
Actually - NJ's.. but why bicker.

John also established the 24 in some mind numbingly small area with the first WDC 24. So far, San Francisco, NYC and WDC have fallen. The trick according to John is planning, which he's exceptional at.

I'll be there Saturday..:drink

0502JohnRyan097.jpg

Still chance to be part of history as these Iron Butt denizens were in New Brunswick yesterday.

More pictures to follow once I get back from Vermont.

My goal is to ride around Europe this summer, stay in fancy hotels, eat in nice restaurants, drink German beer, etc. Can I count on your support? :stick

My goal is to ride around Europe this summer, stay in fancy hotels, eat in nice restaurants, drink German beer, etc. Can I count on your support? :stick

Certainly - if you propose to do a documented IBA extreme ride better than anybody has ever done it before. Otherwise - go tour on your own nickel like I do every summer.

Last edited:
Back