• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel Tank Liner Failure - Red Kote and BMW original liner

eleven

Hello. Anyone had any experience with removing a botched Red Koat liner and remnants of original BMW factory liner from 20 year old tank. The Red Koat liner was applied on top of the failing BMW liner. I have done some research and plan to use acetone to remove the Red Koat liner and Vinegar to remove the BMW factory liner. Just don't know the best process for this. Do you fill up the 5 + gallon tank with the acetone or just use like a gallon to swish it around inside the tank? Also, how long does it take for the acetone to do the trick and once the Red Koat liner is out, what is the next step as far as washing out the tank prior to the vinegar going in?

I have had very good luck with methyl hydrate but that was for the Red Koat or the BMW crap but never both at the same time.

All I did was put about 4L of methyl hydrate in, shake real well, let sit a few hours, repeat and the coatings sloughed off in sheets.

Por-15 product and method...........a few little tricks but not gonna bore you with them if your heart is set on "acetone".......Good Luck...Dennis

M.e.k.

M.E.K. or a M.E.K. substitute from Home Depot is the recommended reducer/thinner for the Red Kote product. Be careful with it as it will also eat the paint off your tank and do a number on your hands, eyes, respiratory system. I have used it a number times with great success, the important part of getting it right is properly preparing the gas tank for a new liner application.

thank you very much for your input. Acetone worked on the Red Koat and vinegar removed the factory liner. Plan to re-coat with POR 15 or maybe go with no liner at all and keep the tank over half full when not riding.

...or maybe go with no liner at all and keep the tank over half full when not riding.

Uh, that seems like a really bad idea. Exposed steel is going to rust...it's just a matter of time...seems like peace of mind would be worth the effort.

Yeah you make a good point. Probably better idea to line it with POR 15. Wanted to use Red Kote because it is easier to remove if later the liner doesn't hold but Red Koat doesn't do well with Ethanol I've heard.

When I get around to doing this (and my R25/2 needs it), I'm going to strongly consider the Caswell tank sealing products.

Actually Red Kote holds up very well

Yeah you make a good point. Probably better idea to line it with POR 15. Wanted to use Red Kote because it is easier to remove if later the liner doesn't hold but Red Koat doesn't do well with Ethanol I've heard.
I have done Red Kote in 6 of my own gas tanks and have had excellent results even when the ethanol gas sits and festers for a month or two, no lifting, peeling or any other issues. I did do the Por 15 treatment in my Bristol Grey R 69S Sport tank and didn't have any significant issues but did notice that it would get a little soft (dent it with a finger tip) but it didn't peel or lift.

I've had a Red Kote liner in my Dover White R 60US for almost 20 years with many periods of time the bike sat with festering ethanol fuel in the tank and it is still as solid and nice as the day I did the job. Por 15 is a great product I just prefer to go with Red Kote.

Back