• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel pressure from pump reading on gs-911 (2004 R1150RS, 47k)

MOONDOG59

will the gs-911 show running pump pressure on the gs-911? I got one reading of ~70psi which can't be right on a 35psi compacity pump. After that I could get any reading. The bike was running "OK" once it got warmed up but still having a hard time getting it started. I am getting a good pattern on the injector test on a piece of cardboard but I am not sure if that indicates 35psi.
This is a continuation of an issue posted earlier on my bike won't start.

I haven't worked on any 1150's but it's my understanding from the wiring diagrams, reading forums, and knowledge of older Oilheads that there's no pressure sensor anywhere in the fuel system. I know most of the fuel system is identical between my 96/97 bikes and the newer ones up to 2005.

I believe the only "sensors" are the analog pressure relief valves in the Fuel Pressure Regulator and the fuel pump.

What setup got you that 70psi reading? Was it a dead-ended gauge in the fuel "send" line? Because if you've plugged the fuel "send" line from the tank straight into a gauge with no T-fitting to allow pressure to go elsewhere, it will typically read the highest pressure your pump can build before the pressure relief valve opens.

I have found monitoring fuel trim in real time to need more modern computing equipment on the vehicle. I don’t do it very often so I kinda have to relearn the goings on.

OM

Back