• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Injection Cleaner Use

Thanks all for the feedback. Apologize for starting another "oil thread"...seen a lot of them on the forums for all of the various MC's I ride.
A white paper would have been nice, but it seems that the FI cleaner biz is wide open for snake oil.

Truth be told, I got gallons of Lucas for free so I'm using it up. Lucas is probably the least informative of all the brands. Mostly it is petroleum distillate and the cleaner portion is not openly disclosed. Probably a benign or just average cleaner so now that I have a diesel...I can use it up :)
My simple searching shows Techron is informative and has the highest cleaning trade secret contents carried in distillate. Seafoam has a polyolefin amine (cleaner) but lower content. Berryman B-12 has an exotic blend of aromatics, alcohols, and a small portion of trade secret cleaner. I bet it cleans but the toluene and ketones could eat up most elastomer o-rings/seals with prolonged exposure.

All said, I'll join the group thinking for Techron in the new RT's tank. Thanks again.

Yes and one needs to remember Techron is a cleaner only. One needs to also treat for corn gas also.

As I said I use Yamalub Ring Freehttps://www.westmarine.com/yamaha-ring-free-fuel-additive-2280683.html and have for many years. It does everything it says it does.

I use Star Tron to treat the corn fuel http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-additive again it does what it says.

I mix into various sized squeeze STA-BIL bottles I had saved before I found Star Tron. It is mixed so 1 ounce treats five gallons for both corn and Techron. I don't use it every fill especially when running slab to get somewhere.

I have to say if you have never used Sea Foam and fogged a Harley Davidson you have no clue how well and effective carbon removers are. You ran it hot, pulled the plugs sprayed it liberally on top of the pistons, put the plugs in, let sit 5 mins, pull your air filter off, start the bike and spray it into the intake, and just make your whole neighborhood into a cloud of smoke, then change your oil. And it works, no snake oil, nothing but better living through chemicals.

It is your bike do what you want, but I would not trust ANY load of gas to any station 100% in this day and age. I mean it is mixed into the truck at the terminal so anything can happen. I try to use a top name brand and on the road I burn Sheetz, and Turkey Hill or whatever is the franchise Stations are in the area I am in.

In the 70's I worked in a gas station. We had to stick the tanks to change shifts to make sure all gallons matched off all the pumps to the tanks. We also checked for water. We used a paste on the end of this 15 foot wooden pole about 3-4 inches from the end. If there was water in the tank it would turn pink. It always had a bit in it but I think if we got to 3"(cant remember the exact amount) they would have to pump the tank, and add fresh fuel to that grade of gas. I am wondering if the do that with technology now on new installs, but how do Mom and Pop's take care of it? And I still adhere to never buying gas when it has just been dumped.

But hey I am old so habits and opinions die hard.

I have to say if you have never used Sea Foam and fogged a Harley Davidson you have no clue how well and effective carbon removers are. You ran it hot, pulled the plugs sprayed it liberally on top of the pistons, put the plugs in, let sit 5 mins, pull your air filter off, start the bike and spray it into the intake, and just make your whole neighborhood into a cloud of smoke, then change your oil. And it works, no snake oil, nothing but better living through chemicals.

As a teenager I was using Marvel Mystery Oil or some such similar chemical to de-carbonize a Mopar 318 in my dad's garage. Everything was going well until I heard the siren just before the fire truck arrived. Properly chastised it was a few years before I ever did that again. :nono

And the next time I did it, it was in the driveway and not inside the garage. :)

I mix some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas of gasoline powered engines when in storage. Seems to knock down the rust possibility in steel gas tanks.
OM

As a teenager I was using Marvel Mystery Oil or some such similar chemical to de-carbonize a Mopar 318 in my dad's garage. Everything was going well until I heard the siren just before the fire truck arrived. Properly chastised it was a few years before I ever did that again. :nono

And the next time I did it, it was in the driveway and not inside the garage. :)

1959 Studebaker Champion Convertible.
In the driveway when Mom came home.
Got out of her car, promptly walked up and slapped me, telling me to "shut that thing off this minute!"
Grounded for a week, stay home, no car, no friends visiting.
Sister loved giving me crap about what she was going out to do while I was grounded.

Brings back memories...:clap

Yes we all learn. I know I did on that particular instance. I never expected it to smoke like it did and man was it crazy thick smoke.

Just today I got a reply from California Scientific on FI Cleaners (they did a comprehensive review of motor oils a few years back). They stated there are no verifiable studies although light studies consider Techron to be a leader.

They made an interesting comment about Techron and "top tier gasoline". Note, I worked in the oil/gas industry and personally know that gas is gas until the truck pulls on a load at the storage facility and major brands get a squirt of their branded magic. That said, below is what CS wrote:
"There are no Chevron stations in Michigan so the big three car manufacturers truck in Chevron fuel with Techron for their emissions testing when they do so, rather than using something local."

Back