• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Injection Cleaner Use

gregu

Greetings. Purchased a diesel truck and found scholarly articles complete with ASTM methods surrounding cetane "boosters" and FI cleaners that was enlightening. I looked for the same regarding gasoline FI cleaners and did not find the same expertise. So I will ask of the BMWMOA community...
HISTORY: I use a tank of fuel every 2-3 weeks in my RT, some weeks more. I use Lucas ethanol conditioner (green color) and Lucas conditioner/lubricant treatment (straw color) at the prescribed doses. Did this for 38k miles in my 2007 R1200RT and now started doing it in the 2020 R1250RT with only 6k. Other bikes 2000 VFR and 2005 SV1000 also get the treatment but sit idle for longer periods. No problems with any bike.
INTERNET: Describes problems with O2 sensors, degraded tank-pump parts, etc. compared to many positive reviews...but no white papers etc. I see many threads about Seafoam causing exhaust catalyst fouling...have used Seafoam for a really old diesel tractor successfully...but keep it away from autos.

Nothing in the owners manual about fuel additives for the RT. Anyone in the BMW world have any science for the FI cleaners?

I have nothing scientific but will note that for several years BMW dealerships in the United States sold Techron Fuel System Cleaner bottled with a BMW label.

A nearby friend with multiple bikes had a similar question not long ago and did a bit of research...
Besides looking at what chemical are in the brew, he also found a few videos that directly compare them in controlled situations. (Go to YouTube and enter "fuel additives" in the Search box.)
Most of them turned out to be absolute crap or even harmful; Lucas was rated as Poor, as were SeaFoam and StarTron.
Red Line additives came out pretty well and are now all he uses. Techron and the various Stabil additives also fared well.

LUCAS has been the secret cure for fuel systems in the Duramax equipped GM Diesel engines when the injection system went iffy for some time. Depending on what I’m working on, I use Techron, Gumout and Lucas.
OM

I had issues with having to push the start button twice and hard starting. After running Chevron Techron through it cleared up starting issues on both my RTs. I buy the 32 oz bottle at Napa at a good price and use it periodically in both bikes and cars.

"It contains a polyether amine-based detergent" I believe this is also the same one in Berrymans B12.

If you use Top Tier fuel of the correct minimum Octane, you really shouldn't need to add anything else to your tank.

https://www.toptiergas.com/

We disagree. Regardless the "top tier" fuels you use, over time there will be deposits that can build up on injectors, that are cleaned away with proper additives. I only use Chevron premium fuels unless travelling and find it unavailable when travelling. I DO notice a difference in how smooth and responsive my car is [2008 BMW 535i Sport with @180K] after adding Berrymans.

Though not as noticeable, I can detect some improvement on my 2015 RT using Techron.

That is an advertisement and Top Tier is a marketing tool.

I'm not advertising for Top Tier fuel, I just added the link in case anyone hadn't heard of it. My point was, buy from a name brand station that has a good aditive package, not from the no name fuel station to save 3 cents a gallon.

I normally use Chevron, Shell, or ExxonMobil and haven't had an issue with my cars or bikes. I used to add some techron to the tank of fuel before an oil change, but I've never noticed a difference from doing so. I do, however, take the opportunity to "blow the carbon out" of my vehicles when entering the highway, so maybe that's why I haven't had an issue.

I don't bother with the techron additive before a service any more and everything still runs great, so I stand behind my statement. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited:
I have used Techron concentrate for several years on my 08 RT and now my 18 RT, and my 06 GS650. It cleans out injectors and takes away the water. I too use top tier gas, mostly Non-Ethanol. In my carb bikes, 79S and Yamaha 650 I use Sea Foam for same reason. Had a fuel issue with a buddies Carb bike several years ago on a trip, after a fill-up. Can of Seafoam for him, cured whatever was in the gas. JMO

Bob

Here in CA, all gas is required to have cleaning additives; however, the cleaning additives vary. I've noticed that my engines run a bit better when I rotate between the top gas companies. Their cleaners are just a bit different that tends to work a bit better.

I use Yamalube Ring Free. It is concentrated Techron. I buy it in 32 oz bottles. 1oz treats 10 gallons. Have used it in every bike and car I have owned in the last 20 years.

We disagree. Regardless the "top tier" fuels you use, over time there will be deposits that can build up on injectors, that are cleaned away with proper additives. I only use Chevron premium fuels.....

But I thought Chevron premium fuels contained Techron? If using Chevron fuel, I'm genuinely curious as to why one would also need to periodically add Techron? :scratch
(In case I've offended anyone, I'm not saying the stuff doesn't work)

But I thought Chevron premium fuels contained Techron? If using Chevron fuel, I'm genuinely curious as to why one would also need to periodically add Techron? :scratch
(In case I've offended anyone, I'm not saying the stuff doesn't work)

It is a matter of the concentration of the cleaner in the fuel. I don't tell others what to do but I will tell others what I myself do. I run a dose of Techron in a tank of gas just before and after a 12,000 mile service.

I started using Techron in my fuel injected vehicles over 20yrs ago. About every 10k miles I’d treat the fuel. It was the only injector cleaner that seemed to have any positive effect. I still use an injector cleaner but it’s been a long time since Techron or recently Liqui-Moly has made any perceivable difference. I surmise the fuel I’m using keeping the injectors clean on its own.

Thanks all for the feedback. Apologize for starting another "oil thread"...seen a lot of them on the forums for all of the various MC's I ride.
A white paper would have been nice, but it seems that the FI cleaner biz is wide open for snake oil.

Truth be told, I got gallons of Lucas for free so I'm using it up. Lucas is probably the least informative of all the brands. Mostly it is petroleum distillate and the cleaner portion is not openly disclosed. Probably a benign or just average cleaner so now that I have a diesel...I can use it up :)
My simple searching shows Techron is informative and has the highest cleaning trade secret contents carried in distillate. Seafoam has a polyolefin amine (cleaner) but lower content. Berryman B-12 has an exotic blend of aromatics, alcohols, and a small portion of trade secret cleaner. I bet it cleans but the toluene and ketones could eat up most elastomer o-rings/seals with prolonged exposure.

All said, I'll join the group thinking for Techron in the new RT's tank. Thanks again.

Back