• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel cap pull tab loose on a 2018 rt

Ragman2

I have a 2018 RT. The pull tab on my fuel cap is loose. The cap seems to lock but I do get an error when I use the GS911. I can open the cap at any time if the bike is locked or not. The only possible cause is that I installed a SW Motech tank bag that uses the locking ring attached to the fuel cap. I tried loosing the two top screws to see if that helped but did not.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I have a 2018 RT. The pull tab on my fuel cap is loose. The cap seems to lock but I do get an error when I use the GS911. I can open the cap at any time if the bike is locked or not. The only possible cause is that I installed a SW Motech tank bag that uses the locking ring attached to the fuel cap. I tried loosing the two top screws to see if that helped but did not.

Do you have any other suggestions?
My bike is a 2019 RT:
Recently did my 24K mile service, removed all the Tupperware to install new air filter. Had to remove my SW Motech tank ring to get the panels off. While all was disassemble I did the gas filler neck mod - drilled a big hole at the top of the filler neck for faster tank filling. Anyway...
After complete reassembly my gas cap would not close. I removed the SW tank ring (again) and inspected. The lock would not allow the cap to close. I clicked the lock into the open (unlocked) position and the cap closed easily. I did not make any pics.
1. Check your lock mechanism. Is it stuck in the unlocked or locked position. Is it operational?
2. Is the electrical connection to the lock intact? Will the lock open and close (unlock and lock) with the gas cap open?
3. Can you remove your SW Tank Ring and inspect, then reinstall correctly?
4. I can make pics if helpful.

I too have had issues with my 2016 RT gas cap and have found that the plunger for the locking mechanism may need periodic lubrication. A bit of spray silicone has fixed the issue for me.

Bob

Back