• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Frozen ignition lock on RT

Hammam

Well, winter is just around the corner up here in Montreal, and temperaures are getting low. Plus, we have rain and some snow. So, the other morning, I found my ignition lock frozen. Couldn't get the key in.

What can one do to prevent that? Can one use use the same anti-freeze as for a car? I 'm wary about that.

Thank you.

A bike lock is mechanically similar to any other. You can use regular lock antifreeze.

Cap?

Reminds me that I read about a home made plastic cap that fit ...

Can't remember which forum, may not be MOA...

Last ride here in Mississauga was 3 weeks ago; in garage since...

Graphite type lubes help- don't use grease or heavy oil, etc
Covers, too

Tricks for frozen locks-
Don't use the heated key trick with the BMW RFID key- you might fry it. $100 to replace.
A syringe shot of pure alcohol to melt ice would probably be OK.

Probably a bunch more I've forgotten- been a while since I lived in Buffalo......

Lock Anti-Freeze - small bottle - auto section or auto parts store.

Alcohol works, but then the lube in the lock cylinder is gone and the lock gets gritchy.

Some sort of cap/cover
Lock lube not oil to loosen things internally and displace any moisture trapped
I won't say move to a warmer climate though it's very cold now in southern ca

Well, winter is just around the corner up here in Montreal, and temperaures are getting low. Plus, we have rain and some snow. So, the other morning, I found my ignition lock frozen. Couldn't get the key in.

What can one do to prevent that? Can one use use the same anti-freeze as for a car? I 'm wary about that.

Thank you.

Two suggestions.

One - I created a 'cap' that fit snugly over the ignition antenna ring for my R1200RT. It was one of my Touring Tips some years back. Not sure which issue, so PM me and I'll zap you a photo or personal reprint of the 'tip.'

Another trick we law enforcement officers used when called to citizens who were frozen out of their vehicles was to place the key inside one's mouth and breath warm air on it for about 20 seconds - actually warmed the key up enough to surge thru the frost inside the locking mechanisms and open most vehicles.

Give it a try! :dunno

Back