• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fried headlight wiring/how to get more beam adjustment 2012 RT

kurmugin

Krmugin
Soooooo, after burning out yet another H7 bulb, I realized that I had fried the wiring near the connector.
My motorcycle being a 2012, the cheap plastic holders for the light connectors had broken long ago. I never thought twice of it, until yesterday. The connector was discolored, and the wires had gotten way, way too hot. Guess it was a good opportunity to put the replacement ceramic H7 connectors on. I'm guessing that the connectors got a little loose, and that caused the overheating.

As I had to re-crimp some wiring, I removed the nacelle. In doing so, I found the mysterious second adjustment knob for the vertical headlight adjustment on my 2012. There is the customary vertical adjuster on the dash, of course. But there is an additional adjuster that is up on the headlight assembly itself. I took a picture of it in case it may be of help to anyone else. I have previously tried Cyclops LEDs, but removed them, after getting flashed too many times by passing motorists. I had the dash adjuster all the way down, and the beams were not ok for oncoming drivers. I'm getting second thoughts about trying the Cyclops again, now that I have a little more downward adjustment. d0IzHSL+QsmN1iZsBNt8JQ.jpg

Mine got cooked too. I put in LEDs and used ceramic connectors anyway, also soldered added wire length due to how it hooks up. Those plastic connectors for the headlights are rubbish.

Which generation of the Cyclops? The newer ones have a small piece of metal that acts as a cut off. I have ~4k on my 650 and no one has flashed me yet... :blush errrr... "highlighted the fact that I have a misaimed headlight"

Back