• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First Ride on my GSA today...dropped it.

H

HONDARIDER

If I was smarter, I'd keep this to my self...but it was funny...and I'm stupid. Very first ride on the GSA today...in the rain...on brand new TKC80s. Took the bike down to get an inspection sticker in preparation for the warm temperatures that the weather man promised for next week. Made it down the hill...no problem...rode across town...no problem...sticker...check...riding home...accellerating as I exited a corner...crossed a man hole cover...slippery...tail end kicked out...AND...nothing happened...regained traction and rode home like a pro. However...pulled into the driveway...rode up to the garage door...attempted to perform a very tight u-turn in front of the door so that I could back in...standing on pegs...turning...turning...steering lock...no more turning...too close to the door to make the turn...hit brakes...foot down...too late...going...going...gone!:banghead

How ridiculous! 25 years of riding and I just dumped it in the driveway...at 2 mph. The crashbars are certainly effective, but what a big heavy pig this thing is. Fortunately, my tank was 100% full so it was like picking up a normal motorcycle with a 70 pound kid sitting on the bars. I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come. Maybe I should have bought a Ruckus scooter instead. So lame.:violin

Don't feel too bad. I think everyone has dropped their GS at one time. They are tall, and top heavy and at slow speed if you let it get beyond the point of no return.... you are not going to stop it.

I rode all the way to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico only to drop mine in the driveway of a friend's home because the gravel was loose and I was tired and my foot slipped.

Great story -- thanks for sharing! I can't count the number of times I should have gone down from youth/stupid, but nearly all my drops have been at zero speed, and usually when I'm tired and just not thinking (oh, I was supposed to put the sidestand down BEFORE I leaned the bike over? Doh!)

Next time, don't forget the obligatory GS-on-its-side, foot-on-your-trophy picture. :D

Next time, don't forget the obligatory GS-on-its-side, foot-on-your-trophy picture. :D

I wasn't aware that was a "thing". NEXT time I'll be sure to set up the tri-pod and snap a glamour shot. It will give me time to gather my strength before lifting the fat pig.:thumb

My first trip to the ground on mine

Was on A1A, just South of Daytona, Bike Week 6 years ago. Tried the old U-turn and looked over the wrong shoulder and before I knew it I was standing over the bike, switching the motor off and just turning a shade or two of Bright "Embarrassment Red". I got it picked up and running back down the road before any helping hands could get out of their cars to help.

I love it. We all seem to have the same problem - darn things won't stand up by themselves. Ive dropped mine twice while sitting still.

I assume this is the only reason that the Can Am Spyder exists...

The high center of gravity and awkward slow speed maneuvering is why I traded my GS for a R1200R. I was happy with my GS when I lived in a rural area, but when I had to ride it in heavy traffic, it took the fun out of riding.

I HATE when that happens!! I've had three 0 mph "drops" of my RT in the 2 years I've owned it. Each time it was something silly and like you, my many years of riding didn't help! On one of the tips, I did it in front of my favorite local coffee shop .. fortunately noen of my buddies witnessed it, BUT since I wasn't moving the angle of the drop was just right to snap my left (shifter) peg off!!! As well as the requisite scratches on the left pannier. All because I THOUGHT my side stand was fully deployed before I started leaning the bike over... I about cried!!!

I wasn't aware that was a "thing". NEXT time I'll be sure to set up the tri-pod and snap a glamour shot. It will give me time to gather my strength before lifting the fat pig.:thumb

It's all about technique! If I can pick it up, anyone can!

If you don't mind sharing, what is your technique?

I would chime in and say that she's probably using what's referred to as the "Granny" technique but I'm not going to because I'm a little bit afraid of her and don't want her to think I'm making any comments about her age.

:bolt

Back