• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F700GS w/ trailer

WOODY8023

Every thing about our bike trip from Michigan to Alaska is complete except for this: We can' find anyone who is willing to wire my BushTec trailer to my F700GS. :scratch
We are running out of time!

Every thing about our bike trip from Michigan to Alaska is complete except for this: We can' find anyone who is willing to wire my BushTec trailer to my F700GS. :scratch
We are running out of time!
While this isn't really a ride report, let's see if we can generate some help for you.....I can always move it :D
I've wired a number of things and I don't know how things would tap into the BMW CANBUS way of doing things. In the old days, when I needed isolation, I would use something like this-
119190.png

http://www.towready.com

This is essentially an isolation device that picks up 12V from the battery and distributes it to the trailer without being attached to the bike in a normal 12V drain sense.
While I have used the older version, this kind of device "picks" a signal off say the turn signal lead using just enough voltage to light an LED. The "lit" LED has a corresponding sensor that "sees" the LED and switches the trailer light on- power is direct from the battery.
I don't know if it's a knowledge thing or apprehension to mess with a new bike that you are running into. I don't know if my example will work but If I needed to do it, without any other examples available, I'd start with something like this. The extremely low draw may still register as a bulb fault on the dash.
It will be interesting to see how this works out.
OM

I'd contact Electrical Connections in Knoxville, TN. They make a trailer converter that I used for K1600GT. Should be able to use the same for your BMW...

Bushtec makes a wiring isolator. They are not difficult to install. The isolator is connected directly to the battery through a fuse. Then you tap into the wiring harness which puts no load on the canbus system.

Success!

I talked with Woody a few days ago. He is now on the road to AK after getting an isolator from Open Road Motorcycle Outfitters. I am sure he is thanful for the help. :bow

I talked with Woody a few days ago. He is now on the road to AK after getting an isolator from Open Road Motorcycle Outfitters. I am sure he is thanful for the help. :bow
It's nice to have a conclusion :thumb
OM

I have regular contact with them, so will ask for pics.....stay tuned.

I didn't think it would be possible to attach a trailer to a 700 GS and stop it when flying into a stop sign..... I'd like to see the pictures of it myself, as I'm always open to new possibilities for my 700 GS. Would certainly be nice to get some of my camping gear off the back end of the bike. I felt the weight made my front wheel a little soft this last trip to the rally.

I didn't think it would be possible to attach a trailer to a 700 GS and stop it when flying into a stop sign..... I'd like to see the pictures of it myself, as I'm always open to new possibilities for my 700 GS. Would certainly be nice to get some of my camping gear off the back end of the bike. I felt the weight made my front wheel a little soft this last trip to the rally.

And they are riding two up. He called me last Tuesday from a motel here in Helena. We had talked before about meeting for coffee, but unfortunately I had to be on the road at 5 AM the next day. Sounded as if things were going well for them.

The F650/700/800GS bikes have an LED tail light with only two wires. The tail light is pulsed at a rate too fast for the eye to see when running and powered full time when braking. I mention this because wiring in the trailer lights will not be straightforward like most bikes with a separate circuit for running and brake lights.

mike

Back