• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ethanol, Do you Avoid Using Gas Containing Ethanol?

I don't worry about whether it has corn squeezins in it or not. I haven't had a problem with it. I do try to always buy from a station that pumps a lot of gas so the fuel is fresh. Never had a problem. I just don't keep it a long time in anything.

I have not even seen fuel without either Ethanol or MTBE (now outlawed) for probably 30 years. Guess I need to travel farther east more often.......{I have over 250,000 miles on bikes since '91, all with oxygenated fuels, and no issues and mpg is still in the 43-45 range. I tend to mix smaller batches and shake well for my chainsaw and weedeater that are still 2-strokes}

You need to get on pure gas. I found 3 stations on the 101 between you and brookings, or. last week as I was riding south.

I assume this is a useful reference? http://pure-gas.org/
For me Yes! Last time I looked there wasn't anything for 150 miles :thumb

So we use it in all the yard equipment (got about 30 gallons on hand) - 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Chainsaw, weedeater, trimmers, blowers, tractor, etc
I find it so much better on a daily basis for the small engines. Really a must for "wet" storage over the winter.
I have beed buying VP Racing fuels and mixing the two-stroke but will probably take a run to a now local station to try it from the pump.
The bike has been OK with ethanol but with more convenience, I would only run Non-E.

BTW, has anybody bought a gas can that they like lately?
OM

In New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland: all premium grade gasoline is ethanol free according to http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NS Another reason to travel this way :thumb - Bob

This might help: http://www.ec.gc.ca/energie-energy/default.asp?lang=En&n=0AA71ED2-1

I'm sure you don't actually believe everything you read on the Interweb but the reality is, and having to submit warranty claims on failed engine components, I know that every fuel sample I have taken in the last few years contains renewable resource content, even in Halifax/Moncton/St. Johns.

The very reality is that our Consumer and Corporate Affairs does not require the publishing of the percentage content until above 5%. Further proof, look at the price of Canola Oil 5 years ago versus now. This price increase accounts for COLA and the prairies had a bunch of bumper crops the last few years but certainly doesn't account for the availability.

You are using renewable resource fuel in Canada whether you like it our not. I don't know if you have Federated Co-op out there but try their stuff in any machine that burns gas. The surprise in the difference in performance will blow you away and I don't think you will be happy. Pure-Gas lists them as non-Ethanol and I know for a fact, that isn't accurate in the least.

Shell Canada claims that their V Power is ethanol free in all of Canada. Their Ontario pumps do state that the V Power is ethanol free. When riding in Ontario, I try to visit Shell stations, whenever possible. Apparently there are some rubber parts in my K's gas tank that do not react well with ethanol. When touring, I just stick with name brands and it only stays in the tank for a few hours. ;)

Folks from Canada, please read between the lines.

Shell Canada claims that their V Power is ethanol free in all of Canada. Their Ontario pumps do state that the V Power is ethanol free. When riding in Ontario, I try to visit Shell stations, whenever possible. Apparently there are some rubber parts in my K's gas tank that do not react well with ethanol. When touring, I just stick with name brands and it only stays in the tank for a few hours. ;)

It's a fact, we have Ethanol in all of our gasoline and bio-component in all of our diesel. The vendor, be it whomever, is not obligated to publish the content of renewable resource component below 5%.

I have the testing to prove it. I've sat through the seminars where the egg-heads blame engine design.

Marketing+Interweb does not equal reality!

The topic about the amount of renewable resource content in fuel is hot. If a fuel vendor in Canada is claiming no renewable resource content, they are breaking the law and liable for fines.

I didn't vote for Harper and I sure as heck don't ride with tree-huggers or granola munching sandal wearing conservatives. It's the reality in Canada. We tolerate way too much in Canada. Smoking ban on patios on a nice summer day? That's up next.

Like several others have already said, I use fuel w/o ethanol when it is available. There are two stations in my local area that have signs on the pumps that say the premium, 91 octane, has no ethanol. I guess I believe the signs because I pay the extra for the fuel.

But when ethanol-free fuel is not available, I don't worry too much about using regular unleaded fuel of whatever octane is available. The bike does not seem to care either.

I find it so much better on a daily basis for the small engines. Really a must for "wet" storage over the winter.
I have beed buying VP Racing fuels and mixing the two-stroke but will probably take a run to a now local station to try it from the pump.
The bike has been OK with ethanol but with more convenience, I would only run Non-E.

OM

Thought I was reading my own post for a second

As for a gas can that I like, 5 gallon race / dump cans from a bike shop are my favorite.

OM
I got on a "gas can kick" and ran a recent thread on ADV that hit several pages in "The garage section". There are still a couple of good cans out there. Canada still has the "good cans". What I did was go to ebay for a few days & bought an NOS Eagle can & a Gott can to replace "lawyered up" Blitz cans that had cracked from constantly expanding/contracting. Look on web, Amazon etc for metal gas cans. I also liked the USMC cans that pop up on ebay but pricey.
Even though I'm no fan of 10% gas for 2 strokes I have several 2 cycle tools around the place-chain saws, string trimmers, Stihl garden cultivator & Stihl 4 stroke blower(uses mix). I use full syn mixing oil from Baileys(cheaper then Stihl but good stuff) and like mentioned I mix smaller quantities than pre-ethanol gas days. Stihly has placards on their dealer counters proclaiming , "use 89 octane only"!

I get the biggest kick out of the blatant one-upsmanship on here........Now it's gas can "mine is better than yours".......For me, I could care less...........I do hate the what I call "Ob.m." cans, actually spouts. The spouts are now a three handed affair and forget about turning a ten year old loose with lawn mower chores.......
Anyway, a couple of years ago I found these and use them on a constant basis. Figure perhaps 20 gallons of diesel, 10 to 15 gallons of gas and a gallon or so of 2 cycle per month:

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

Again, been using them a couple of years now and they stand up to even my hired hand......

All gas that comes on this place is immediately treated with Lucas gas treatment, stabil...the ethanol kind, and or the new stuff called "startron" which they say is even better than stabil..........Since I began doing this, treat in the can as soon as I unload from the transport vehicle, going on 3 or 4 years ago now, the MANY gasoline driven tools and equipment have had ZERO.......NO........gas related problems........Before that it was fuel lines, float bowels, and dissolved plastic parts in the carbs.........

Not gonna go into the equipment but it's your standard:
2 chainsaws
3 tillers, including a 63 troy bilt horse in preemo condition
weed eaters
industrial chipper
ON AND ON AND ON..................

Anyway, good stuff...........http://ezpourspout.com/wp/............God bless.......Dennis

Briggs and Stratton sold a great can about 10 years ago that met the lawyered up no spill requirement and was actually useable by someone without 3 arms. Second best in my opinion is No-Spill. Not trying to get into a one upsmanship contest just pointing out alternatives. You can still occasionally find the Briggs and Stratton cans on ebay. No-Spill has a website. No affiliation.

For thr 2 stroke power equipment I bought a funnel that will seperate wat er from gasoline. If you add water to ethanol fuel the ethanol binds with the water and the funnel will seperate the gasoli e out. This was a deperation move before premixed non ethanol fuel became available in quart cans.

Paul......
Yes.......I got one of those funnels awhile back, and yes, they work; but they are too slow for farm work and I really don't like the amount of fuel they waste as part of the separation process.........lol....maybe an ounce???

....They sell ethanol free gasoline in cans?????..............lolol........That's as bad as what we once called "white" gas that was actually nothing more than lead and additive free. One used it in gasoline lanterns and stoves instead of getting octane influencing ethyl lead............Then that faded away and one now buys that fuel in cans in the camping section of stores....

lolol.......NOW...........Ethanol free gasoline in cans????....Mixed 2 cycle oil in cans already mixed up for the consumer????

What will they do next???????.................sell drinking water?????????

As I sit on top of my mountain here in NW Georgia, watchin and listening to the BMW bikes go by and missin out on some free camping..........Oh well.........God bless........Dennis

For thr 2 stroke power equipment I bought a funnel that will seperate wat er from gasoline. If you add water to ethanol fuel the ethanol binds with the water and the funnel will seperate the gasoli e out. This was a deperation move before premixed non ethanol fuel became available in quart cans.

was it one of these?

fc3.jpg

I just tested one a couple weeks ago, running 1000 ml of E10 blended with 20 ml H2O through it. It failed pretty miserably with ~1/4 of the ethanol / water layer flowing through the screen. That funnel had been in use previously, but looked to be in good condition. I'm going to repeat the test with a new funnel and if that fails, try it again with ethanol free fuel. The 50:1 fuel / water mix was poured slowly against the wall of the funnel so I don't think anything in the test process influenced the result.

On a related note, It is probably a bad idea in general to use fuel that has had the ethanol removed in this manner unless you were buying a higher octane fuel than you actually needed. You probably just knocked the octane rating down significantly (by ~2 for E10) as ethanol is used to raise the octane rating.
here's a good, quick read on the subject:
http://www.racegas.com/article/11

Last edited:
Back