• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ca. vapor-reducing gas nozzle

brownie0486

Cagers don't have a problem, but us motor riders have a hard time getting a full tank with that Ca. gas nozzle. Here's a solution I recently came across on Advrider where a member was offering these for 5.00 or 5 for 20.00. I grabbed 5 of them, a few for friends who ride into Ca. often enough. Here's a video of how it's used.

MC gas nozle.jpg

It's a nifty device for people who don't wanna get their hands dirty and smelly... Personally, I don't mind and I've never had an "issue" with this.

It's a nifty device for people who don't wanna get their hands dirty and smelly... Personally, I don't mind and I've never had an "issue" with this.
That would be me. The only time in Ca. on a motor several years ago, I held the boot up and filled the tank. But there was a gas smell on my hands, which transferred to my gloves. Not a lot, but more than I'm willing to accept [ it's carcinogenic and once transferred to the gloves can't be healthy ].

I suppose I could have gone inside and washed my hands before donning the gloves.

Interesting. Considering the trouble that getting “every last drop” into these bikes cause, I have an idea how much gas I am going to need and just check the level a couple of times. When I see fuel, I round off and done.
Pretty fair spring in the vapor capture bellows. Separate gloves for fueling and repairs.
:dunno
OM

Here's a solution I recently came across on Advrider where a member was offering these for 5.00 or 5 for 20.00. I grabbed 5 of them, a few for friends
I did the same quite a few years back.
It was a good purchase. Since buying them we have not been to a gas station with vapor recovery pump :)

Interesting. Considering the trouble that getting “every last drop” into these bikes cause, I have an idea how much gas I am going to need and just check the level a couple of times. When I see fuel, I round off and done.
From what I remember when using that type of nozzle, by the time you compress the boot enough to let the pump turn on the nozzle is pretty deep into the tank.

I don't know what you guys are doing. There should be no fuel on the OUTSIDE of the bellows. Compress the bellows by holding the outside of the bellows. Insert nozzle 1” into tank. Watch fuel level. Fill tank to desired level. Stop filling. No gas on hands, gloves, tank, or underwear. :dunno Of course it helps to see the fuel level if you’ve removed the anti leaded fuel flapper from the filler neck.

:dance:dance:dance

From what I remember when using that type of nozzle, by the time you compress the boot enough to let the pump turn on the nozzle is pretty deep into the tank.
Could be the way it is in Kaliphornia Lee. We have them in Mass but any real trouble with operating the pump handle seems to be if the handle is newly replaced. It seems that perhaps having to hold the handle at all times has been replaced with a 2 position “automatic catch” like in the “old” days.
The “catch” now means no one has to bring a tennis ball 🎾 with them to jam into the handle to allow gas filling. :scratch
I’m not a fan of unattended gasoline flow. :uhoh
OM

Pretty fair spring in the vapor capture bellows. Separate gloves for fueling and repairs.
:dunno
OM
I've done that and left with a gallon short when I thought the level in the tank was close to full [ at the lower fill neck level ]. The light plays havoc at times seeing into the tank. That meant I needed gas when my brother did [ his holds 1 less gallon than the RT ].

Of course it helps to see the fuel level if you’ve removed the anti leaded fuel flapper from the filler neck.
On the K75 removing the flap gave you a large opening, making it easy to see into the tank.
Most of our bikes since the K75Ss had a tube at the filler opening making it hard to see into the tank.
Most of the time I don't try to get the max fuel in the tanks.

For anyone who didn't own a older K bike here's what the flapper looks like.
1708958523120.jpeg

1708958548283.jpeg

Last edited:
On the K75 removing the flap gave you a large opening, making it easy to see into the tank.
Most of our bikes since the K75Ss had a tube at the filler opening making it hard to see into the tank.
Most of the time I don't try to get the max fuel in the tanks.

For anyone who didn't own a older K bike here's what the flapper looks like.
View attachment 96886

View attachment 96887
If anybody desperately needs one of these I suspect I can find several on a shelf or in a drawer someplace. Some vague notion of "putting it back to stock" pops into my mind sometimes. :)

My experience in Ca. as well with those nozzles. Either hold the boot up by hand, use this tool or miss the last gallon on fill up. I fill to the bottom of the tube. Why have a 6.3 gallon tank that you can only fit 5.3 gallons in before it shuts off?

On the trip back from Ca. to Az. after motor school all day [ 5:30pm to 12:30 am ] I missed one station with 40 miles left on the odo. Problem was the next station across the desert sign said 50+ miles. I made it with very little to spare, but had I just filled till it shut off, I'd have run out of gas in the middle of nowhere with no traffic but truckers moving.

Crossing the wyoming plains, it was touch and go to find gas in time. Fortunately we made it to this little town in the middle of nowhere with gas. I was within 20 of running out, my brother was on fumes. That little bit more when topping off kept us both on the road instead of sitting on the side of it in 95+F heat with no shade for as far as I the eye could see.

I top up whether it's necessary or not.

Last edited:
Huh. I think I had trouble with this maybe the first three times I filled up a motorcycle (1986 K75 at the time).

Then I figured out if I tip the nozzle toward the "top" of the nozzle (i.e. lean it toward the windscreen if I'm sitting on the bike and holding the fuel handle toward me) to compress the bellows against the fuel filler ring, the pump fills to the right line and shuts itself off. I don't touch the rubber or the gasoline and I can see the fuel in the filler.

(Go ahead and wag your finger at me for sitting on the bike while I fuel. I haven't blown up yet.)

Back