• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Enough, For Goodness Sake!

I got tired of all the waving and stopped for awhile. . .

I started waving again two years ago after I found myself coasting down a freeway exit ramp with a dead and blacked-out motorcycle (my gremlin-prone Virago . . .) and 30 miles from home. No sooner had I put my feet down than a contractor's pickup pulled in behind me and two pirate-clad/leather vest/do-rag harley types jumped out and offered to help. . .the very same ones that ride loud bikes and lots of MOA pilots seem to have no limit of contempt for.

After some simple diagnostics, we all agreed it wasnt going to be a roadside repair. It was a bad place to stop, so one of the evil leather-vest wearing 'bikers' pushed me, by running behind with his hands on my pillion--in very hot weather, I might add--through two busy intersections and about a quarter mile along an extremely busy road with no shoulder .. . to a convenience store, the first place where I could safely leave the bewitched Virago. His buddy followed in the pickup, shielding us from approaching traffic behind us. They then insisted on giving me a ride home, 20 miles out of their way. During our ride, I learned that except for one license suspension, both had ridden motorcycles since their teens. One still rode, but the other could no longer ride motorcycles because he had been hit from behind while making a left turn, breaking his back, pelvis, and both legs and putting him in rehab for 2 years. His riding days are over, but he was the one who pushed me on the bike.

I still pass these guys driving to construction jobs in their pickup once or twice a month. . . and I always wave to them. Although I'm usually on a BMW, and they're in a pickup, they always wave back. Not sure if they've made the connection or not.

No big moral to the story except that I usually wave because I FEEL like waving, not because I think I should, or because someone else did it first. I really dont think much about it and I don't care what other people think. It doesnt bother me at all if they dont wave back; I'm doing it for me, not for them.

Sometimes I wave at people to annoy them.

One such case would be the local outlaw biker clubhouse I ride past on my way to work.

I always waved at the guy outside wearing the club colours, having a coffee and smoke. He of course never waved back at the guy riding a red airhead, with hi viz tank panniers, a holstein cow seat cover, and a hi viz riding jacket.

So I started beeping the horn frantically and waving as I went by, eventually he was trained to wave back without me beeping the horn at all.

I still smile every time I go by and he waves at me.

Regards, Rod.

Back