• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Enough, For Goodness Sake!

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Yup, I’m referring to the ubiquitous motorcycle wave. The motorcycle wave has gotten out of hand…. way out of control. Why do I say this you ask? Well over the past two weeks Annie and I have ridden the Lolo Pass, Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons NP, Chief Joseph Byway and the Beartooth Pass. All are motorcycle magnets and I would estimate that we encountered (going to be very conservative now) 15 million motorcycles. Doing some quick ciphering I estimate that means we received 18.6 million waves when the two-up two-phers are accounted for. So, as I rode along and received all those waves I began to ponder, as I am want to do while riding. (Normally I ponder weighty matters of national security, but lately it has been the whys and how’s of the wave.)

First I wondered why it is the people wave to me when I’m on my bike. Could it be intended as a general gesture of goodwill, a conveyance of kindness and friendship from one human to another? I think not. The wave seems to be limited to motorcyclists and if it were intended to be such a universal greeting it would seem it would be granted to all; even those in Buicks. The closest thing I’ve seen to a true gesture of goodwill is the finger I often get here in Montana no matter what I’m riding or driving. No not the finger you are probably thinking about, but the raised index finger from a hand at the 12 o’clock position on the steering wheel of a pick-up truck driven by a generally older rancher or farmer. Those guys seem to finger just about everyone; true humanists those agricultural types. But anyway, even if the waves I received from all those bikers of late were of the general goodwill-to-all ilk they are still not for me. I tend to identify with Oscar more than I do with Felix, sad to say.

Well then what is behind the wave if it is not such a universal custom. It must be that all those millions of wavers thought that we have some other form of bond; a link formed by the fact that we ride motorcycles. I don’t buy that either. Other than a two-wheel vehicle I think that I share little in common with the riders that waved to me. The overwhelming majority of the wavers were of the rebel, non-conformist outlaw sort. How could I tell? Well they were generally bedecked in the rebel, non-conformist outlaw uniform consisting of: the rebel, non-conformist outlaw bandana worn as a helmet (preferably in a stars and stripes pattern); a rebel, non-conformist outlaw black leather vest covered in pins obtained at events they towed their motorcycles to (the vest was often worn over a rebel, non-conformist outlaw wife-beater shirt); and they sported other rebel, non-conformist outlaw accouterments such as the chained wallet, manly leather tassels on the ends of their handle bars and genuine F-16 fighter pilot sunglasses. These guys and gals may be doctors, lawyers, teachers or carpenters and be very nice people, but they weren’t waving at me because what I do for a living or because I’m nice to puppies. Nope, they were waving because of motorcycling and in my opinion our values and behaviors concerning motorcycling could not be more different.

And to go off target for a moment…. I also pondered the different types of waves one receives. First is the effusive wave. This is given above the handle bar and is like Queen Elizabeth’s wave (elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist) but delivered as if the waver is on an overdose of meth. This is rare, almost always delivered by a female rider and I suspect is a genuine expression of happiness and goodwill. Then there is the point and ignore. In this wave the deliverer must be careful to never, ever make eye contact with the recipient or even slightly turn his head towards the other rider. The arm is extended and the index finger is pointed towards the ground as if to say, “Look out for the pothole”. Although the index finger is used, these are not agrarians. The aloof manner in which this wave is delivered makes it the ultimate in cool. It can only be enhanced by the tricky double delivery in which rider and pillion deliver the point and ignore in perfect unison. There are other variants of the below the bar wave, including; the hand slap in which they waver holds out the arm with the palm facing the recipient. It’s almost as if you are expected to slide over and slap his palm as if you were the Yankees celebrating a win at Yankee Stadium. And finally there is the drop. This is the lazy man’s wave. The waver simply lets go of the handle bar and lets the arm fall to his side… little technique and no effort here. Kinda makes me wonder what would happen if all bikes had left hand throttles. Oh the chaos that would cause.

Back to why riders wave. So I don’t buy into the brotherhood pap. No I just don’t think I share enough in what I think motorcycling is about with folks that spend as much time polishing chrome as they do riding, or have bikes with more time parked in front of a bar as it does on the road, or ride crotch rockets on the road as if they were at Leguna Seca. Maybe if I met them we would be close friends and I do wave to friends.

But I haven’t gotten to what is truly irritating about the wave. What really makes me shake my head is the attitude of some towards those who choose not to wave (me for instance). For example, recently on this forum a member posted about how he felt GS riders are snooty because they do not wave. Another comment on this forum indicated that the poster assumed that those who do not wave were having difficulty controlling the bike and could not handle a wave; sad commentary indeed. Reminds me of high school hallway behavior. “We all bundle.”

So I’ve officially forsworn the wave. Please do not condemn me and I will not think ill of the wavers… yes, even those of the rebel, non-conformist, outlaw sort. Remember, my right to not wave is guaranteed in our Constitution. Article…. Well look it up, it’s in there. Remember, love and waves, to be considered true, must be given with no expectation of getting anything in return.

So as not to be seen as a hypocrite, I must acknowledge that even I in my most curmudgeonly of moods sometimes develop an instant bond with an approaching waving rider. In a nano-second there develops a sense of communion and goodwill that is overwhelming and instinct and reflex takes over. My arm tenses and my hand quivers and sometimes I’m waving despite myself. This normally takes place when the waver uses the effusive technique. And, oh, I always return the friendly finger when I get one.

As long as you will still stop to assist another rider on the side of the road, we will not revoke your comradery card, and let you stay in the club :D.

I'm gonna wave at you anyplace outside of five mile radius surrounding a rallye unless i'm pulling the clutch lever:dance

I simply hang on to the bars most of the time. OP's right, the wave thing is out of hand.
In KY & some/many other places you have , of course, the "pick-up truck wave" using one finger(not the backwards salute, thank you) and when in my car it's apparently OK to just ignore the world and watch traffic. I can almost remember when cruising(few yrs ago) that we were always trying for any form of recognition from the opposite sex:waves,smiles, talk, and if you were really lucky...:hug,etc..

:wave

I wave because it keeps me in the moment. It's more about paying attention.

But then it always makes me sMile when the other rider waves back.

My favorite wave of all time came on a 10 degree day in Minnesota. He stood on his pegs and waved with both arms! We were the only bikes on the road and we each recognized a fellow nut!

Voni
sMiling

An excellent piece of writing. :thumb:thumb

And it sums up my own feelings on the wave. Lots of the aforementioned wannabe outlaw types around here. On a lightly traveled road, yeah I'll probably wave, but at every scooter coming my way?? Fuhgedaboudit!!

Being the mid grade curmudgeon that I am, I refuse to bolster the ego of some clown trying to look like a badass in a Mel Brooks movie. :stick

More popcorn, please.... :lurk

When our friends were looking at some property in rural NW Illinois, they were told by a local that no one would sell property to another couple. When asked why that would happen the response was "they don't wave back".:dunno

If waving is the biggest problem you have to face while riding then you should inform everyone why you don't wave.

Me? I'm having too much fun riding to be upset about something so trivial.

:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave

NOTE that sometimes that index finger pointing up means that there is a Sky Cop watching the road! Fellow riders have thusly saved me a stop, quite a few times.

I learned in Europe that it's better to keep your hands on the bars and make friends later, at the top of the pass.

But I'll nod or give a rider a thumbs up as we pass. :thumb

A thumb up can also mean that the road ahead for him is clear; if he's about to encounter debris, I'll "sweep" my index finger & pinky down across the road as we pass.

When I got my first Jeep, everyone in Jeeps waved at each other. Now not so much. When I had Corvettes everyone in Vettes waved at each other. Now not so much. When I got my first bike, everyone on bikes waved at each other. Now not so much. Times they are a changin.

If I don't wave at you, it's nothing personal.

I'll still pull over if it looks like you need help. You can still use my tools.

If I'm in the middle of nowhere and haven't seen another motorcycle in a while and it's not raining I'll almost always wave.

If you're riding another old K-bike, I'll wave with both hands. :)

If I wanted to wave all day, I'd sell my bikes and buy a boat.
Great post, AKBeemer.

If I get a wave, I'll always give a wave back unless I'm busy with the controls in which case I'll give a very obvious nod of the helmet in the other bike's direction. However, I draw the line at waving to another bike on a multi-lane freeway. THAT I don't get. Here we are bombing down the interstate, about a hundred yards apart and the other guy sees me mixing it up amongst other cars and trucks and he feels the need to say: "I see you, are you having a very nice day?"
And, if I'm not in the mood, I'll just look away.
Sometimes, just for laughs (our own, I'm sure; the other guy is left wondering what it's all about) my buddy and I mix it up and give, randomly, the Queen's wave (fingers together, all wrist, no arm), the Arsenio wave (closed fist, circular forearm motion), the Brave's Fan wave (tomahawk chop), the Rock Paper Scissors wave (self explanatory), the Hurry-up wave (2 fingers extended to the side, circular motion), the YoYoYo wave (index and small finger only in a down and inward motion), the Bud Light wave (left and right index fingers pointed toward the other rider; only to be done on a straight road), etc.
You can be creative, self amusing on a long ride and leave the other guy wondering just "what the hell are THOSE guys doing?"
Great fun!

You're supporting the stereotype of the haughty BMW rider who doesn't wave at anyone.

That is the attitude I was alluding to as being the most frustrating. Because some choose not to wave it is used as basis for making judgements about them; seems childish to me. I care not what others do; wave or not wave. Yet others seem to care about what I do not do.

Maybe this has been addressed, but I've noticed when riding that if another bike approaches, and I'm in AGATT and he's got a do-rag and handlebar mustache, he doesn't return my wave. Like...what's that all about?:nyah

That is the attitude I was alluding to as being the most frustrating. Because some choose not to wave it is used as basis for making judgements about them; seems childish to me. I care not what others do; wave or not wave. Yet others seem to care about what I do not do.

Maybe this has been addressed, but I've noticed when riding that if another bike approaches, and I'm in AGATT and he's got a do-rag and handlebar mustache, he doesn't return my wave. Like...what's that all about?:nyah

Flyrider, meet AKBeemer; AKBeemer, Flyrider!

Personally, I wave at everyone whenever it's reasonable for me to do so; and I don't really care whether they wave back or not.

Back