• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine noise? & Scrambler update 99 R1100R

mzeitz

I've made a couple day trips to play around on some Forest Service roads and an ORV park, I'm fortunate to have some great places to get away within a couple hours in almost any direction. The bike has performed great (though I should say my only trail experience was on a 250 dirt bike and this bike is definitely NOT that) and so far my oil cooler mod has held up fine - no temps over 240 whether pulling a hill on the freeway or goofing around at slow speeds in the park. That said, we rarely get truly hot weather west of the Cascades and this week low-mid 70's was as high as it's been. So I'm thinking about making a run over to Yakima later this week or beginning of next as it's going to be pushing 100 over there (though if I do have a problem it's going to be a long day getting back over the pass...)

IMG_3660.JPG IMG_3669.JPG

Side note - I was at the dealership the other day and happened to be checking out an R nine T. I guess I was thinking that the new boxers were all water cooled but dang if there wasn't a big old oil cooler hanging out in front just about right were I put mine. Got me thinking that if I end up needing more cooling muscle I could easily make that work, and I've already located one in fact...

But I digress... So today I pulled the bike out and power washed the mud off of it, and then started the engine to warm up the oil a little to do an oil change. Except for the wintertime I rarely use the throttle advance (or "choke") lever. It started fine, usually if it seems like it wants to bog down I just give it 1500 or so for a few seconds and it smooths out. This time when the RPM's dropped down a little something in the engine (I think) started making a dry, "scrape-y" kind of sound as it went around is the best way I can describe it. It almost sounds like a bad bottom end noise like a dry bearing, but when I goosed the throttle a little it went away. I let it bog again and the noise returned, goose the throttle and it went away. This happened once before (coincidentally after I washed it then too I think) and that time also it went away and ran normally so I'm thinking it can't have been anything catastrophic as it's run thousands of miles since without incident, although it sure sounded bad.

My only idea was maybe the timing chain tensioner but it doesn't seem like a sound that a loose chain would make. I have the update kit but when I had looked at it, it had the small (15mm) bolt head on the plug so I was thinking it may have already been done. I'm going to pull it apart anyway tomorrow and check. Just curious if anyone had experienced something similar or had any idea what it could be?

Left-side cam chain tensioner? I don't know what a bad one sounds like.

The "Timing Chain" tensioner is behind the alternator, check it out on the MAX fiche in the Engine section.

Left-side cam chain tensioner? I don't know what a bad one sounds like.

The "Timing Chain" tensioner is behind the alternator, check it out on the MAX fiche in the Engine section.

Yes, the cam chain tensioner was what I meant to say. I pulled it apart and what came out looks exactly like the new parts I have. For some reason I thought that there was a spring in there?

IMG_3677.JPG

Perhaps the spring was only on the old assembly? Looks like its shown only on the right side; the new one must rely on oil pressure to keep the tension I guess...

Screenshot from 2020-07-16 11-23-52.png

So if that's not it I'm not sure where to go looking. Next time I start it I'll try to get a video in case it does it again, but otherwise I'll just continue to run it. I forgot to mention that the oil that came out was clean too.

Yes, the cam chain tensioner was what I meant to say. I pulled it apart and what came out looks exactly like the new parts I have. For some reason I thought that there was a spring in there?

View attachment 79607

Perhaps the spring was only on the old assembly? Looks like its shown only on the right side; the new one must rely on oil pressure to keep the tension I guess...

View attachment 79608

So if that's not it I'm not sure where to go looking. Next time I start it I'll try to get a video in case it does it again, but otherwise I'll just continue to run it. I forgot to mention that the oil that came out was clean too.

In the photo in post #3 the "housing" is in the center of the photo. The smaller cylinders to the right are the tensioner itself and there is a spring inside this assembly. But when it is installed it is oriented so that the oil is contained and does not drain out.

Andthat is not the same as the old one shown on the left. When installed with the hex head up oil can drain out of the old one. It will not drain out of the new one.

Thanks for the info. I put the new one in anyway since I had it, replaced the sight glass and changed the oil. Started up and ran fine. You could hear the tensioner tighten up as it built oil pressure for a second or so, but other than that no strange noises. Since I think both times was after I power washed the bike, I wonder if something got wet that normally wouldn't, I can't think of what. Friction surface like the clutch for example. I don't know, just going to run it...:D

Back