• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does a Motorcycle-Friendly Motels & Hotels Guide exist for the US and Canada?

Laramie, Wy., best western twice now has offered to let us leave the motors under the overhang check-in area without asking. Last year the clerk offered that they were going to get a good soaking overnight, leave the bikes under the canopy [ that's a nice consideration knowing the weathers going to turn nasty overnight ]. Both times we stayed there, I handed the clerk a 20.00 for letting us do so at check in

Hawthorne, Ca., forget the name of the motel chain but one of the major ones. On a busy street, no parking lot but an underground garage attached that was two levels. Told I needed to put the bike in the garage, I asked about security, yes they had a guard on duty 24/7 in 3 shifts. I'm entering the garage and it's nearly full on the first floor. Security guard saw me looking for a spot and flagged me over to him. Told me follow him he'd show me where to put it where it would be watched by a camera. He had me pull it into one of two handicap spots just right of the garage entrance. I asked him if that was going to be a problem with law enforcement, no, no problem. He'd watch the bike for me till his shift ended and tell the next guard on all night to keep an eye on it as well. I handed him 2 20's, one for him and one for the next guard, I appreciated their keeping an eye on the bike for me.

Whitehorse Canada heading back to the US from the arctic circle run. I've arrived just after dark, and it's drizzling lightly. I'm tired and hungry. I pull into a Micky D's because I had to get something in me, I asked a few employees where they recommended I might get a room. One of the counter guys said "don't stay at the place behind us, it's known for tweakers hanging out looking to steal anything not tied/locked down. Asked where he might suggest, he said 1 miles down the road toward the center of town, they cater to motor riders. I ate, then checked into his recommendation. The clerk told me to leave the bike off to the side under the canopy where he could watch it all night on the camera's, and he'd make sure security kept an eye on the motor for me as well. I found the guard after checking in while unpacking the bike and handed him a 20 just to keep an "extra" eye out with the motor that night.

Somewhere in the middle of Wyoming [ near their gas and oil fields as we could smell it ]. I asked about leaving the bikes under the canopy, no way Jose' was the reply, BUT if we'd like we could put the two motors in one of two handicap parking spots right in front of the building. I didn't like that idea but the clerk assured me we'd be fine with law enforcement and the bikes could be watched by camera's though the rest of the lot was not under surveillance.

Never been turned away, but have decided to go elsewhere once inside the lobby having had no reservation and just found a place at the end of a days ride.

Old trick I learned many years ago when I was a travelling employee. Try to get to the front desk close to 1700 and you'll have a better chance of getting a room. That's when they release the rooms being held for the "no-shows".

Joe

Treated well.

About 10 years ago I was north of Banff (somewhere up there - I frequently get lost) and running out of daylight. I pulled into a fairly modern motel with a tall well dressed young man behind the counter that looked to be of India decent. He greeted me with a smile and said "how may I help you"? I said I am looking for the best rate in the area and asked what was available. He quoted me a very reasonable rate and then announced "Deal or No Deal". I laughed and said "Deal". The hot tub was about to close for the night and I asked if that was a hard rule. He smiled (only he and I were in the lobby) he announced in a loud voice "Ladies and gentlemen can I have your attention please - the hot tub hours have been extended for three hours", we both laughed. The extended hours gave me a chance to snack and get warmed up.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449L

Pricing comparisons and why I hardly every overnight while on tour on this side of the pond. In fact, other than a one-night stay this past September at a whopping CA$151 (US$110) per night in a very basic motel and prior to that it was 2003. Why bother when I can tour elsewhere driving epic roads with great scenery and great food and drink for a lot less $$$.

In 2003, I did an Eastern Canada tour of QC, NB, NS and NFLD/Labrador returning via the Trans Labrador highway. I stayed in Cheticamp, NS while on the Cabot Trail. The room was a very basic 1960's style motel that ran me CA$119.03 (US$87.29) and dinner with two beers ran me CA$33.87 (US$24.84). Remember, that was 20 years ago. I talked them down by $20 to get the above room rate telling them "you do not understand, I do not want to buy the establishment, I just want a room for the night".

Then 19 years later, I stayed in Arabba in the Dolomites, Italy. I have stayed there a few times over the years so far. The 2022 price was €72 per person including an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet (trust me, far better than we get here) and a four-course dinner (drinks are extra). With present day exchange, that is CA$107.40 or US$78.76. A smoking deal considering operating costs are far higher in Europe. I and my friends would like to know how they do it and not gouge people.

This is what you get...
Hotel Olympia - Room.jpg

And the view from our balcony in 2022...
Hotel Olympia - Arabba 2022.jpg

No shortage of motorcycles at this hotel when we stayed there in 2022. I wonder why? Good reasonable prices, maybe? There is my GSA, well one of them anyway.
Hotel Olympia - Motorcycles.jpg

And here is another one in 2022 overlooking Lago di Garda from our balcony for a mere €45 pp/pn (US$49.22).
Hotel Paradiso - Tremosine sul Garda.jpg

Since initiating this thread, I have spent countless hours on YouTube looking at motorcycle tours people have posted in ON, AB and BC. All I can say is I am depressed and sorry my Euro bike may be sold in the next week or so. I'm going to miss it and the low prices, but after doing so for 27 years, I want to tour here for a change.

About 10 years ago I was north of Banff...

Wayne Koppa

So Wayne, do you happen to remember what that room ran you and did it include a buffet breakfast and dinner? Or better still, the name of the hotel to see what it goes for today.

For you guys coming up here, it is a deal. For me heading stateside, paying an extra 36% or more using our worthless dollars is a killer. I heard Monopoly sets will now have Canadian dollars in it aka play money.

So Wayne, do you happen to remember what that room ran you and did it include a buffet breakfast and dinner? Or better still, the name of the hotel to see what it goes for today.

For you guys coming up here, it is a deal. For me heading stateside, paying an extra 36% or more using our worthless dollars is a killer. I heard Monopoly sets will now have Canadian dollars in it aka play money.

Don't remember - don't care.

Canada can be reasonable if you don't count the price of fuel (compared to US) Value Added Tax on lodging and prices during popular holidays (Canada Day). We spent a few days in Tobermory, ON over the 4th of July and Canada Day. Over 600.00 US for three nights in a rustic cabin, no air. They were slammed, meals and lodging were pricey. We will be back.

Comparing prices in Europe without mentioning you can't get there and back without a pricey airline ticket and a loss of time to travel days does not tell the whole story.

I have free lodging in Greece where the population makes even less than those in Italy compared to US and probably Canadian wages. Lodging and meal cost is I am sure respectively less than here. If you stick to lower income countries then you should find lower expenses than most of North America.

I have lived and worked overseas. I have plenty to see and do here. Before many can make it to the airport and thru customs I can be on the road to a place I want to go. Its more a process of organizing you time and priorities. Something I am not the best at.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449L

Comparing prices in Europe without mentioning you can't get there and back without a pricey airline ticket and a loss of time to travel days does not tell the whole story.

Wayne Koppa

Actually touring Europe in 2003, the cost per day including airfare was less than my 2003 Eastern Canada tour. All things being equal, hard to believe, but spreadsheets do not lie.

Actually touring Europe in 2003, the cost per day including airfare was less than my 2003 Eastern Canada tour. All things being equal, hard to believe, but spreadsheets do not lie.

A few years ago, when we were spending up to four months touring North America on our motorcycles each summer I built a spreadsheet: not to track what we were spending but to compute what we could afford to spend. I computed as best I could all fixed household expenses: insurance, utilities, taxes, vehicle depreciation, fund for home repairs, etc. I then subtracted total fixed expenses with a liberal allowance for the unexpected from our total net annual income. That provided an amount for discretionary spending which I divided by 365, providing a net daily budget.

Any day we spent less that amount we were richer when we went to bed than we were when we got up that morning. Some days we blew the budget like when we needed a couple of new bike tires. Some days we were way under. But I could keep a good sense on what we could afford as we toured. Some days we camped; some days we were in hotels. Fuel was fuel and food was food. But I knew our daily budget as a round number. It was a good guide to spending and what we could afford day after day.

This is of course hardly needed for a one or two week trip but was very helpful for traveling a third of the year.

A few years ago, when we were spending up to four months touring North America on our motorcycles each summer I built a spreadsheet: not to track what we were spending but to compute what we could afford to spend.

Paul, I've been touring Europe yearly since 1995 and I often get asked what does it cost because we can't all afford to take guided tours or for someone like me, I look for value. And when you are there for 5-7 weeks every summer, you need to budget. Mind you, that is never an issue in the Alps or I would not have gone back as often.

Of course if my last name was Bezos, Musk or Gates, why would I worry.

Then 19 years later, I stayed in Arabba in the Dolomites, Italy. I have stayed there a few times over the years so far. The 2022 price was €72 per person including an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet (trust me, far better than we get here) and a four-course dinner (drinks are extra). .

While I've only been able to tour the Alps and Dolomites a couple of times, I'm amazed at how much cheaper and BETTER the hotels in Europe and the UK are compared to the US. Their breakfast buffet spreads will blow you away with their selections and quality of foods. US hotels are a bland, overpriced embarrassment by comparison.

While I've only been able to tour the Alps and Dolomites a couple of times, I'm amazed at how much cheaper and BETTER the hotels in Europe and the UK are compared to the US. Their breakfast buffet spreads will blow you away with their selections and quality of foods. US hotels are a bland, overpriced embarrassment by comparison.

Amen.

US hotels are a bland, overpriced embarrassment by comparison.

Exactly! Same goes for motels and hotels in Canada as well.

I just love it when someone on a forum tries to school me on something I have been doing for 27 years touring there. Or the clown on another forum trying to school me on vehicle batteries; good luck with that one as well.

Just like I have some for Europe and logged into my mobile with GPS co-ordinates listing prices, amenities, etc.

Now that I am done with touring the Alps and Europe after 27 years of doing so, at my older age I am looking to tour this side of the pond where roads are a lot less technical. I have done very little "motorcycle" touring here: NY, VT, MI, WI, FL and ON, QC, NB, NS, NFLD/Labrador and hope to do much more.

But looking at the motel & B&B rates here, what the eff are they smoking in comparison to what I paid overseas. No comparison in what you get for your buck.

All I know is I have never seen such a Guide, but then I also never really looked for one. Anything On-Line?

Thanks!

No wonder you're not impressed with North American roads if that's the sum of your riding here. No offense intended at all. :ha

I've never seen such a hotel guide. I like to use Hotels.com and in 40ish years of touring in the US, I've only had a couple bad experiences. One in a hotel back in the early 90s (kind of a funny story, actually) and the other in a campground that was not funny. That's out of hundreds of nights of traveling. There used to be a book series, "Motorcycle Adventures in [your region here]", but I don't think they've been updated in 25 years.

Come on out to California. If you want technical, we've got that. If you want sweepers, we've got that. If you get 50 miles outside the major cities, the place is deserted, too. Seriously. I've been to 48 states and while Vermont isn't exactly flat, most of those locales don't have any serious mountain roads. I've also learned that "twisty roads" in Wisconsin means something different than it does here. No offense intended; they're just different places with different expectations.

I'd highly recommend buying a set of Butler Maps as you being exploring. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the sheer variety of roads available in North America. Until you get further south on the Appalachians and Smokies, or over to the Ozark or west of Denver, you really haven't see much of the good riding on this continent.

Been to 49 states and most of the provinces, so ask away about locales. I'm sure others here can point you to interesting riding locations around the continent.

We've had good luck with renting AirBnBs and using them as a base of operations, which allows us to live like a local and run loops out of the house. Many have a garage so you can keep your bike safe. We like to rent them in fairly rural areas and like to make sure it has a hot tub or something. Just a thought about other options beyond hotels.

I hope that's helpful.

I'd strongly recommend maybe checking some of the regional brewers here in N. America, too. You may expand your World of Beer and Ale a little bit for the better.

Enjoy, Alex. I think once you make it out of the NE corner of the continent, you're going to be surprised by both the sheer volume of decent riding, but how uncrowded most of it is; especially in the west whether CA or US.

Last edited:
I like Butler maps for planning. Sever years ago I started using Rever so I can see the Butler maps on my tablet during trips.
MOA members get a 15% discount on Butler map and 33% discount on Rever.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/member_disc_public

https://www.rever.co/

https://butlermaps.com/

Yep.

Astonishingly great maps. The road ranking system is genius and has been accurate in my experience. FWIW, the scale on my NorCal and SoCal maps are 1:890,000 and 1:300,000 for the map insets. If the need for scale is mileage measurement, they usually have "pins" on main intersections and mileage indicated alongside the route between two "pins".

Good to know on the discount. I'm going to use both. :thumb

No wonder you're not impressed with North American roads if that's the sum of your riding here. No offense intended at all. :ha

YouTube did the rest and from what I saw, I was not impressed.

As for maps, 1:200 000 is as far as I will go and prefer 1:150 000 or 1:175 000. I like detail. Now you know how I find all the great roads. ;)

Actually Dave, PM me 5 YouTube links to what you consider to be great riding roads. Not on here since this thread is about motels & hotels. Seems that a few that have experienced both here and there confirmed my thoughts.

Back