• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does a Motorcycle-Friendly Motels & Hotels Guide exist for the US and Canada?

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
Just like I have some for Europe and logged into my mobile with GPS co-ordinates listing prices, amenities, etc.

Now that I am done with touring the Alps and Europe after 27 years of doing so, at my older age I am looking to tour this side of the pond where roads are a lot less technical. I have done very little "motorcycle" touring here: NY, VT, MI, WI, FL and ON, QC, NB, NS, NFLD/Labrador and hope to do much more.

But looking at the motel & B&B rates here, what the eff are they smoking in comparison to what I paid overseas. No comparison in what you get for your buck.

All I know is I have never seen such a Guide, but then I also never really looked for one. Anything On-Line?

Thanks!

Many times in the past I have used hostels and university/college residences for overnight stays when on the road. I confess, during COVID I really haven't done much riding. My last stay in a hostel was in 2015 and I believe the price was $25 CDN. No idea what current prices might be as everything seems so much pricier now.

Some folks say they've heard horror stories regarding hostels but my use of them in Europe,Canada and the USA were always without any incident.

I believe hostels are more easily found in Canada than the US but I stayed in them in both countries.

http://www.hihostels.ca/en/home.aspx

This link might take you to CDN universities and colleges for overnight (or several nights) in Canada. I've used these several times in the past.

https://www.universityrooms.com/en-...j7pP2u9zXdtiL_zfQyZtpKe9QyVnfjMoaAk-6EALw_wcB

https://www.hiusa.org/?gad_source=1...WzXD6irGWFlULnh90jTNuXAEJD4NxGesaAowREALw_wcB

Backpackers Canada
http://www.google.ca/search?q=backp...s=org.mozilla:en_US:official&client=firefox_a

Last edited:
Some folks say they've heard horror stories regarding hostels but my use of them in Europe,Canada and the USA were always without any incident.

Actually, I did stay in one back in 1995, my first year and my first night touring Europe in Karlsruhe and stayed at Kolpinghaus. Clean, quiet and cheap. From then on, I stayed in a B&B (Zimmer Frei) and later in hotels. I am getting too old for camping and packing a damp tent, last I did that was 2014 in Denmark and back in the early 90s at Camp Scholler at the EAA in Oshkosh, WI.

I am starting an Excel spreadsheet for Ontario so far. No big rush, its winter and I have plenty of time.

I have Excel spreadsheets and have over 300 Accomodation Waypoints (.gdb) for Europe if anyone is going. And I know some really excellent hotels there that I have stay at many times.

Actually, I did stay in one back in 1995, my first year and my first night touring Europe in Karlsruhe and stayed at Kolpinghaus. Clean, quiet and cheap.

Got married in ‘71 and had a three month honeymoon travelling on two Honda 49cc mopeds through the UK, France and Spain, staying in many hostels, some of which had married quarters. Most were absolutely fine, a few, very few, were a little grungy but they were the exception. Hotels were as you said, very reasonable priced when hostels were not available. Although we used hostels in the UK, having both being born British, we we were fortunate to have a number of relatives who were more than happy to give us the odd night’s lodging. We returned the favour many times in later years when they visited us.

As you might expect, those mopeds did have the odd issue, but not a big deal as it seemed that every village or town always had a Honda shop. Those bikes took over the Alps and Pyrenees.

Last summer I camped to and from Winnipeg, with the exception of two nights in a hotel and a motel; $193 & $225! I understand that the reasonable US motels that made travelling for me quite reasonable have had their prices skyrocketed. The grungiest US motel that I’ve ever stayed in Rapid City was 80 USD and was told the next night would be $120 because of a festival starting the following day.

I understand why you are looking for more reasonably priced accommodations.

I own the domain names motomotels.com and motocampsites.com… the idea was to build a list of moto-friendly places to stay.

These were to be part of an MOA mobile app that I was going to lead the development of, but the wheels kind of fell off that wagon.

That is a very good start. Too bad there are no URL links to the motels though. That page has been bookmarked.

I start with that site, then copy and paste the address into Google Maps. That brings up photos and reviews that help me choose wisely

I own the domain names motomotels.com and motocampsites.com… the idea was to build a list of moto-friendly places to stay.

These were to be part of an MOA mobile app that I was going to lead the development of, but the wheels kind of fell off that wagon.

btw, if you remember the MOA Posse thread I started a couple of years ago, where the idea was to meet up at various motels along the way as one rode to the rally, was another attempt to build a database of moto-friendly places to stay while on tour. This would be a great membership benefit, imo. :nod

btw, if you remember the MOA Posse thread I started a couple of years ago, where the idea was to meet up at various motels along the way as one rode to the rally, was another attempt to build a database of moto-friendly places to stay while on tour. This would be a great membership benefit, imo. :nod

It was actually a pretty good thread Ian. The main instigator in the thread has moved on. Perhaps it can be started again for the Rally and other events such as the Gateway functions.

OM

What is a "Motorcycle Friendly Hotel"?

Joe

Reasonable price
Halfway level parking
Park outside the room
Cleaning rags available
Owner or manager who's knowledgeable about the roads and points of interest in the area.

Reasonable price
Halfway level parking
Park outside the room
Cleaning rags available
Owner or manager who's knowledgeable about the roads and points of interest in the area.

Without fail, every motel/hotel I've stayed in for the past 10 years has had either outside-the-room parking or allowed me the park my bike in the covered Check In entranceway. And they've all had cleaning rags available. Some even offered me the use of their water hose if I wanted to wash the bike.

I've found that a smile and a polite, respectful request goes a LONG way to a satisfactory result.

One exception was the Best Western in Lodi, California. The first time I stayed there wasn't an issue. The second time an overly-officious clerk refused. A short, polite note was sent to management which resulted in an apology.

Without fail, every motel/hotel I've stayed in for the past 10 years has had either outside-the-room parking or allowed me the park my bike in the covered Check In entranceway. And they've all had cleaning rags available. Some even offered me the use of their water hose if I wanted to wash the bike.

I've found that a smile and a polite, respectful request goes a LONG way to a satisfactory result.

Yes. Same experience with my travels.
So I'm not sure what the differentiators are.

Joe

In my latest travels as an aging solo rider, I look for Holiday Inn Express locations, almost exclusively. Good rooms and a better-than-most free breakfast. In one 60 day trip on the road in the US, only one, didn't allow me to park the bike under the covered entry, siting the local fire marshal didn't allow it, and all said they would keep an eye on the bike. Zero issues. When I've stayed in sleezy motels, there were nights I could barely get any sleep worried about security and other "guests". Getting rested and fed are worth it to me.

Now, my other way of travelling is not by spreadsheets, but by online travel websites like Travelocity or Expedia. I plan my riding day first (while connected in my comfy hotel room), setting a route on my laptop that includes things I'd like to spend time doing and seeing, and putting it in my GPS, then search for hotel/motels near my target end-point, and make the reservation. In this way, my GPS has all the places I've stayed at in the past, a few I chose not to stay at again. Simple, and extremely portable.

Another option that I don’t believe seeing mentioned is the recently revived MotorcycleTravel Network where one stays with a fellow motorcyclist for a reasonable price. I used it twice and hosted once. The price was good but as a host I felt we were taken advantaged of. As a traveller, although my hosts were fine, there was the need to socialize. I have no issues chatting with interested folks who approach me at gas stops or in restaurants but after a day of riding I prefer the quiet of my own company, planning the next day’s ride, reading and getting to bed early for an early morning departure. Hence I never used it after the second host.

There is a smal membership fee.

https://motorcycle-travel.net/

Back