• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you refuel while on or off the bike?

What is the immediate hurry for those of you who need to limit or time your gas stops? Is it the same when you gas the car? Is this in connection with a job, like being a courier? What is the ultimate goal?

Maybe it is one of those OCD things, but in my case I want to see what is the correct sequence of events to accomplish the task in the minimum amount of time with maximum efficiency. I know it sound disturbing but it is very satisfying when you get it right.

My bladder is smaller than my fuel tank range, so if I did not get off the bike there would likely be an additional issue to work through.

In my case, it is practice (to shorten time) and ingrain the process in my head so there are no screw-ups and nothing lost or misplaced. I do this for IBA rides & rallies where you are limited on time, or trying to keep your stopped time to a minimum.

Also, I just feel safer doing it that way, so as not to spill on the tank & engine. I always keep my finger near the end of the nozzle for guidance and feel that if needed, I can always throw the nozzle away from the bike. I also feel much more in control of the bike and able to push or ride it away from the pump in a hurry if necessary.

I'm sure there are lots of differing opinions, but that's mine.

Ken

In my case, it is practice (to shorten time) and ingrain the process in my head so there are no screw-ups and nothing lost or misplaced. I do this for IBA rides & rallies where you are limited on time, or trying to keep your stopped time to a minimum.

Also, I just feel safer doing it that way, so as not to spill on the tank & engine. I always keep my finger near the end of the nozzle for guidance and feel that if needed, I can always throw the nozzle away from the bike. I also feel much more in control of the bike and able to push or ride it away from the pump in a hurry if necessary.

I'm sure there are lots of differing opinions, but that's mine.

Ken

KEN F . Former military maybe?

Maybe it is one of those OCD things, but in my case I want to see what is the correct sequence of events to accomplish the task in the minimum amount of time with maximum efficiency. I know it sound disturbing but it is very satisfying when you get it right.

Refueling may be the primary task, but for me it is certainly not the only one. On a long trip, one needs to avoid circulation problems in the legs, so any time I can get off the bike and move around, that satisfies that task, to avoid medical problems. For me to be comfortable on long trips, I have to stop every hour to get off the bike and move around. Otherwise bike travel becomes an ordeal, and a lot less enjoyable.

Frankly, I don't buy into the Ironbutt thing. Too dangerous and makes no sense to me.

Yes, I get off the bike to refuel. I also walk around, get something to drink, maybe chat with the locals, all in the interest of an enjoyable trip.

Harry

Refueling may be the primary task, but for me it is certainly not the only one. On a long trip, one needs to avoid circulation problems in the legs, so any time I can get off the bike and move around, that satisfies that task, to avoid medical problems. For me to be comfortable on long trips, I have to stop every hour to get off the bike and move around. Otherwise bike travel becomes an ordeal, and a lot less enjoyable.

Frankly, I don't buy in to Ironbutt thing. Too dangerous and makes no sense to me.

Harry
YES! to all of the above.:thumb
Important to note, even younger people can have bad results from hours of sitting.
Etiquette is not the issue!:scratch
Also, have you never spilled any fuel? Not on my family...:wow

I always place MC on centerstand, fuel up, then stretch,etc., before departure.
I do find it hard to understand someone (placing bike on centerstand's not gonna happen), read pump screen, get out CC/cash,fool with hose- all when on a bike? Yes, I've done it before but was for unusual reasons.

Off. Centerstand. Don't care about the time involved. Biggest problem is that I can't see the hole with the lid facing me when sitting on the bike (1150 gs) and I don't want to wear Eau de Exxon all day.

I've done it both ways. I put the GSA on the center stand and rarely stay on that to fill it up, my Triumph is very small and light so I do it either way. I'm never in a rush though and like to get off while filling the tank or after anyway.

Definitely off the bike. Were I sitting on the RT, any fuel spillage is likely to flow directly to a part of my anatomy of which I am quite fond. Even if it doesn't catch on fire (the fuel), I really don't want to be soaked in that chemical sewage that is today's gasoline.

Frankly, I never even thought about it before this thread came up. Just been automatically doing it that way for 50 years.

pete

I get off the bike. I finished the Iron Butt Rally twice (1999 and 2003) and got off the bike every fill up then too. Several issues as have already been mentioned. For me a fuel stop is a multi-purpose stop. Fuel, refill drinking water, get rid of some used drinking water, etc. I almost always have a tank bag on the tank too, and they either lift back or fold back into the seating position to be out of the way of the tank opening.

With my aux tank, I only need to stop every 380 miles or so. I need to get off and limber up. plus I can't refuel the aux tank while on the bike. Oh and I'll need a Kit-Kat and a Diet Pepsi.....:whistle

With my aux tank, I only need to stop every 380 miles or so. I need to get off and limber up. plus I can't refuel the aux tank while on the bike. Oh and I'll need a Kit-Kat and a Diet Pepsi.....:whistle

Aw, come on Kenny,"give me a break" :whistle

Of your Kit Kat bar. :thumb

At my age i have no desire to be a member of the IBA, i have to take time to smell the roses. i always get off the bike to fuel it.

At my age i have no desire to be a member of the IBA, i have to take time to smell the roses. i always get off the bike to fuel it.

I'm contented to be a member of the IBA and I take time to smell the roses unless in a rally, and always get off the bike to fuel it too.

So the reckless are vastly outnumbered by the sensible people. Who says world is going to hell in a hand basket.

So the reckless are vastly outnumbered by the sensible people. Who says world is going to hell in a hand basket.

I don't do it, but I don't actually consider it reckless. It is just that for me there are several issues that make it impractical. Tank bag in the way. Need to pee. Want to refill my water bottle. Need to add fuel to the auxiliary tank.

If I happened to slop a little fuel on the outside of the tank it would run down the sides or between the tank and seat. If a spark is going to ignite the whole shebang I don't know that I'm safer standing beside the bike or on it. I suspect that there are a lot more things involved in regularly riding a motorcycle that are as risky as, or more risky than fueling while astride the motorcycle.

But I see no real point to me doing it, even on one of those IBA certificate rides or in an LD rally.

Always off the bike. Even in an Iron Butt run I did this for many of the reasons mentioned, blood flow, bathroom break, dig bees out of my helmet etc. Easily able to do a 24 hour ride in 18-ish hours with these longer (10-12 minute) stops.

Back