• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dealership Service Warning - Illinois

motodan

My 86 year old brother and I met in Champaign, Illinois Thursday for visit/motel stay. Other than solve a few world problems over some domestic and international beers, he had an appointment for first service on his new C400GT scooter on Friday. It was a 100 mile trip for him to this dealer (closest one, which I know is like next door in our BMW motorcycling world). However, at 86 I do believe the miles are "longer". Dealer's rep said they opened for service at 8AM, so we arrive at 8AM to be first in line...they didn't open till 9AM. Brother checks scooter in, hour and half later service rep announces service is complete. Brother pays bill (not a detailed bill at all) and ask if owners manual was stamped - NO IT WASN'T! Get it stamped. Go to scooter and check service settings, it had NOT been advanced. We ask to have the date and mileage service reminder be updated. We are told their computer isn't functioning! So not checked for any codes or any potential software update(s) and no service date/miles advancement.

This dealership, Sportland, changed hands in January. I will be asking BMW who the Certified BMW Service Tech is at this location. BMW use to require that designation of at least one at their authorized dealerships. I might assume they have neither a certified BMW Tech and they didn't have a working BMW computer.

Be aware!

He'd called the dealership on Wednesday to confirm time, so he did check, less than 48 hours before appointment. And their web site has correct open and closing times...it is just their employee stated it wasn't correct and they opened an hour earlier. Dealership failure on numerous levels. The fact they said service was complete, took his money and said goodbye while knowing they should have at least told him they didn't check systems was a complete lack of competent service. Neither of us will deal with them again. And BMW is going to get an ear full.

Looking at their website (https://www.sportlandmotorsports.com) they've got a number of lines besides BMW. Looking only at their BMW inventory, they have exactly four BMW new bikes in stock, and a few used models.

Their entire inventory consists of 119 various models including four-wheeled off-roaders. Maybe BMW is not their main event, so to speak?

He'd called the dealership on Wednesday to confirm time, so he did check, less than 48 hours before appointment. And their web site has correct open and closing times...it is just their employee stated it wasn't correct and they opened an hour earlier. Dealership failure on numerous levels. The fact they said service was complete, took his money and said goodbye while knowing they should have at least told him they didn't check systems was a complete lack of competent service. Neither of us will deal with them again. And BMW is going to get an ear full.

One needs to specifically ask about exactly what is expected, including computer updates. It’s part of the new world. I doubt BMW will care as the dealer is separate.

I had my BMW in at a local shop for a front tire and oil and filter. When I picked the bike up the service reminder was still on. I asked why? I was told that I didn’t ask for the bike to be hooked to the computer. :scratch
I said- “come on all you employees, I want to give you a lesson in marketing. When a customer comes in for an oil and filter, tell them it is $45.99. That includes oil, filter, shop charges and resetting the service reminder. For an extra $20.00 we can run your bike through the BMW computer system and check for updates”.

Pretty sure it fell on deaf ears, but I tried. As for stamping the book, I thought that concept had become obsolete?
OM

. As for stamping the book, I thought that concept had become obsolete?
OM

Well, in the BMW world, I think there are the "haves" and "have nots" Gary. BMW 4-wheelers' service histories I believe are kept in a nationwide US database maintained by BMW NA in Woodcliff Lakes, NJ. I don't know where they're kept for Canadian 4-wheelers, or the rest of the world. Records for two-wheelers are maintained at individual servicing points aka BMW Dealers, and are provided by hard copy to the owner.

For the four-wheelers, the last seven digits of the VIN are the key for any BMW Center to pull the records on any vehicle. Also, BMW Centers have "key readers" which record information regarding problems with a particular vehicle when the car is presented for service.

I thought in the past, it was an actual “inked” stamp……sorta like a stamp in a passport?

This may help MotoDan-

And goes along with John’s reply.

OM

One needs to specifically ask about exactly what is expected, including computer updates. It’s part of the new world. I doubt BMW will care as the dealer is separate.

I had my BMW in at a local shop for a front tire and oil and filter. When I picked the bike up the service reminder was still on. I asked why? I was told that I didn’t ask for the bike to be hooked to the computer. :scratch
I said- “come on all you employees, I want to give you a lesson in marketing. When a customer comes in for an oil and filter, tell them it is $45.99. That includes oil, filter, shop charges and resetting the service reminder. For an extra $20.00 we can run your bike through the BMW computer system and check for updates”.

Pretty sure it fell on deaf ears, but I tried. As for stamping the book, I thought that concept had become obsolete?
OM

Stamping the manual, in this case, is the only way to know a service was done, as the receipt only mentions a bike with no other specifics.

Looking at their website (https://www.sportlandmotorsports.com) they've got a number of lines besides BMW. Looking only at their BMW inventory, they have exactly four BMW new bikes in stock, and a few used models.

Their entire inventory consists of 119 various models including four-wheeled off-roaders. Maybe BMW is not their main event, so to speak?

Yes, they are surrounded by cornfields, it’s central Illinois, farmers like four-wheelers. They have been around 40 plus years, with BMW for over 10 years. They’ve always been a multi make store. However, Sam the owner retired, with new owner taking over last January. Appears it has gone down hill since then, but of course that’s only my experienced opinion. They still hold themselves out as a BMW dealership, but I do wonder. Maybe BMW will know the status…or maybe not.

Last edited:
Back