• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Craftsman Torque Wrench

Amazon and some of the big box stores are selling Craftsman torque wrenches at 50% off.
CRAFTSMAN Torque Wrench, SAE, 3/8-Inch Drive (CMMT99433) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VZZDFL...t_i_DBZQA9FT2EB1S1SW1VJ0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have a Craftsman ⅜" torque wrench I've had for about 20 years. It works fine, but when I'd had it around 5 years the numbers on the dial started wearing off. While I could still see them, I wrote down each click value on a card. The numbers were completely gone after owning it about 7 years, but I can still use it since I have the card with the values. However, I would never buy another one. Just my .02 worth.

I have a Craftsman ⅜" torque wrench I've had for about 20 years. It works fine, but when I'd had it around 5 years the numbers on the dial started wearing off. While I could still see them, I wrote down each click value on a card. The numbers were completely gone after owning it about 7 years, but I can still use it since I have the card with the values. However, I would never buy another one. Just my .02 worth.

I have a Craftsman 3/8" drive torque wrench that is about 8 years old. Its garbage. Something broke in the ratcheting mechanism after a handful of uses. Unfortunately the "lifetime warranty" is a thing of the past.

I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive that's 20+ years old that still works like the day I bought it... and I've used it a lot because I would bring it to the race track and use it for torqueing wheels and other things. I also have a 40 year old Craftsman 1/2" drive that has the old school gauge on it that reads as the rod on the wrench bends. I haven't used that one in years, but I'm sure it works fine. Its too bad that the old ones were built so well and the newer ones are (IMO) junk.

I now have both a Tekton 3/8" drive and 1/4" drive that I use for motorcycle maintenance. Both of these seem to work great and I use them a few times a year.

Last edited:
I have three Craftsman torque wrenches: 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives.

All three are at least 20 years old and still work well. The 3/8" drive wrench gets used a lot doing motorcycle maintenance. The 1/2" drive is used mostly on Oilhead and K bike rear wheel bolts.

I have three Craftsman torque wrenches: 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives.

All three are at least 20 years old and still work well. The 3/8" drive wrench gets used a lot doing motorcycle maintenance. The 1/2" drive is used mostly on Oilhead and K bike rear wheel bolts.
I bought this wrench to cover the high torque bolts. I have a low torque Craftsman wrench but have been using the old type wrench (the kind with the lever and bar) door high torque bolts. I felt that old wrench was just not accurate in the 35 to 55 nM mid range. Now I have modern wrenches coving the entire range needed for the bikes and car.

Do the 20 YO wrenches touted above bear ANY resemblance to the big box store sale? Where are the new ones manufactured?

Do the 20 YO wrenches touted above bear ANY resemblance to the big box store sale? Where are the new ones manufactured?

Not really. The old good ones appear to be a little klunkier - not so sleek and colorful as the ad I saw here.

I have a Craftsman 3/8" drive torque wrench that is about 8 years old. Its garbage. Something broke in the ratcheting mechanism after a handful of uses. Unfortunately the "lifetime warranty" is a thing of the past.

The Craftsman torque wrenchs I bought about 20 years ago only had a one year warranty.
All my other Craftsman stuff had a lifetime warranty.

I have three Lowe's brand click type torque wrenches in a variety of ranges, and a Craftsman beam wrench. Also have a Snap On 1/2 inch beam type wrench that has an analog dial and a light that comes on when the desired torque is reached. The Snap On was a gift from a friend who bought two of them at a garage sale for $20. Another friend is retired from a local trade school that has the ability to calibrate torque wrenches and he checked the Snap On. At an actual 70ft/lbs it read 71 ft/lbs.

No, my 20 yo old wrench doesn't look like the one in the picture.

I did try to return mine when the numbers were wearing off...like Lee said, I was told sorry, no warranty.

I think the quality of Craftsman tools dropped after Stanley Black & Decker bought them in 2017. The quality may have been going downhill prior to 2017, but I think the quality is lower now than it was when Sears owned them. Of course, this is just my opinion and is not based on any testing or reports that I've read.

I think the quality of Craftsman tools dropped after Stanley Black & Decker bought them in 2017. The quality may have been going downhill prior to 2017, but I think the quality is lower now than it was when Sears owned them. Of course, this is just my opinion and is not based on any testing or reports that I've read.

I agree!

A torque wrench is a valuable tool to have.
Years ago I bought a set of 3 clickers at Harbor Freight for $10 each on sale.
They have worked well for me and although I have never had them calibrated, reviews on the internet are mostly favorable. As with all clickers, it is important to release the pressure to “0” when done using them.

A torque wrench is a valuable tool to have.
Years ago I bought a set of 3 clickers at Harbor Freight for $10 each on sale.
They have worked well for me and although I have never had them calibrated, reviews on the internet are mostly favorable. As with all clickers, it is important to release the pressure to “0” when done using them.

Same here, though I use a "trust but verify" approach. Torque is just force x distance, which can be easily measured with a ruler and a digital scale. Google or YouTube will show you how. New, two of my HF clickers were accurate within 1%, the third I adjusted from 2% to 1% (just because I could). I check them yearly, or before a major project, and none have required further adjustment. Snap-On and most other brands only guarantee 4% accuracy for clicker wrenches.

Same here, though I use a "trust but verify" approach. Torque is just force x distance, which can be easily measured with a ruler and a digital scale. Google or YouTube will show you how. New, two of my HF clickers were accurate within 1%, the third I adjusted from 2% to 1% (just because I could). I check them yearly, or before a major project, and none have required further adjustment. Snap-On and most other brands only guarantee 4% accuracy for clicker wrenches.

Thanks for the tip on verifying the wrench. I had no idea it was so easy using a vice and a luggage scale!
I just checked the $10 HF 3/8” which gets the most use and even after all these years it was within 3% (on the light side), according to a digital REI luggage scale. Easy to re-adjust, too.

I read somewhere that the "Standard" used in the Nuclear Power Industry for Torque Wrench Calibration is only plus or minus 5%.

My three Harbor Freight and One Proto (50 years old) all test well within that range.

I've got the three Craftsman sizes from 25 years ago also and you don't see any numbers disappearing off them. They used to sell some fine tools. I use them quite frequently.

I've got the three Craftsman sizes from 25 years ago also and you don't see any numbers disappearing off them. They used to sell some fine tools. I use them quite frequently.

Yep I have 3 sizes also and no numbers off. However I don't use it day in day out.

When I bought my 3 they still gave a lifetime on them! I did replace the 3/8" many years ago but only because I dropped it from a second floor onto concrete and it did land head first and dent the concrete. At that time Sears did not even blink and told me to go get a new one. Years later they stopped Lifetime on the Torque Wrenches. But still their tool policy was the best, never a fuss just go get a new one.

When Stanley started making or being involved in their tools a few years ago I had some grief and told Sears did not warranty the tools. I walked outside and called Sears and I could not believe someone answered, I explained what I was told, gave them the store # and the managers name and waited 15 mins. I was called to go back inside and get my new tools.

I would not buy a craftsman tool now and bet my knuckles on them.

10 years and earlier I have no problem with. My wrenches from them are 20 years old at least and some 3/8" drive's I have are at least that old.

Sad day gone when Craftsman tools went away as they were a working mans tool and held up very well at a pretty reasonable price.

Sad day gone when Craftsman tools went away as they were a working mans tool and held up very well at a pretty reasonable price.

Eddie Lambert, the Vulture Capitalist bought Sears so he could dismantle it as a retail company and then sell off the real estate. In so doing he sold off Craftsman, he sold off Kennmore, he sold off Die Hard, and anything else he could separate. This is a case study that will be taught in business schools for the next century.

Last edited:
Torqure wrench testing

Here is a link to what I think is a very valid torque wrench test which might answer some questions and dispel some myths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP4uECoH8cc

If you don't know about "Project Farm" on YouTube, this guy does a fascinating job of testing just about everything from gun lubricants to car air filters to glues, all kinds of tools, and on and on. :thumb

Back