• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coolant Mix For R1200

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
So, I picked up a 1 quart bottle of BMW coolant, but it doesn't indicate what the appropriate mix is. The bottle says to refer to the service manual (please lets not go down the rabbit hole of available service manuals in this thread). So, what is the typical mix? In my cars, it's typically been 50/50.

Last edited:
What brand? Picture of the container?
OM

Sorry, it's a 1-quart bottle of BMW coolant. The bottle says to refer to the service manual (please lets not go down the rabbit hole of available service manuals in this thread).

I edited my OP for more clarification.

According to Bob's- https://store.bobsmotorcycles.com/product/bmw-antifreezecoolant-1-quart

And if it looks like this-
82-14-2-209-769_6880.jpg

-BMW Antifreeze/Coolant, 1 Quart
PRODUCT CODE: 82142209769

BMW Antifreeze/Coolant is specially formulated for the utmost performance and protection in your BMW, and thus it is the only product of its type recommended for use in BMW motorcycles.

One Quart, undiluted, must add distilled water. Also available in gallon size.

The coolants have changed through the years. I probably have 5 different kinds depending on manufacturer of the vehicle. 50/50 has been a standard and if you can, in the small system of a motorcycle, I would use distilled water.
I try to stay around the 50/50 deal as it really doesn't help much in overdoing it and too much can bother the gaskets/seals.

OM

As OM said, 50/50 has been the traditional mix. It’s what was called out in service manuals, when you could still get them, and that’s what I always use. It tests good to below zero degrees F at that mix and when it’s that cold my bikes are in the garage and I’m sipping a hot toddy by the fire.

Best,
DeVern

50/50 mix sounds good. I'm not adding much, topping off a bit, so it's a bit less critical than if I were to be replacing the coolant, since whatever I put in will be diluted with what's already in there.

Thanks again.

As a side note, it seems that the transition from a gallon jug of coolant, requiring dilution, marketed as convince, worked out best for the manufacturers as now they could sell half as much actual product mixed with water……for the same price.
OM

Seems to me that the SPEC - ASTM D 3306 is the key to what is compatible. But there are multiple coolant types addressed under this standard.

https://www.document-center.com/standards/show/ASTM-D3306

BMW 82 14 2209 769 blue concentrate is a glycol ethylene-based all-season coolant that provides rust and frost protection. Designed to suit your BMW’s specifications, this coolant is also equally beneficial for Ford, Jaguar, Honda, Land Rover, Porsche, and general motors.

Also, the quality of this antifreeze is determined by its rust protection. That is why most automakers subject antifreeze products to cavitation’s tests as well as lengthy corrosion. The coolant features a hybrid technology that protects the cooling system from rust and freezing in all seasons, and in summer, it protects the engine from overheating.

The coolant is also made with a water to antifreeze ratio of 1:1, which helps protect against freezing or corrosion up to -37C. It protects metals such as aluminum, steel, and cast iron. The product simply does not disappoint as it delivers on its promised one-year round protection to your engine.
  • Great for use in aluminum or cast iron engines
  • Prevents formation of residues or sediments in the engine
  • Durable
  • Nitrite and phosphate-free
  • Formulated exclusively for BMW engines

There are three types of coolant technologies out on the market today — Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT), Organic Acid Technology (OAT), and Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT).

Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) Coolants
Inorganic Acid Technology is one of the more primitive formulations of coolant used on a vehicle. However, it is still the recommended choice of fluid for some classic cars with old-school engines. An IAT coolant comprises silicate and phosphate corrosion inhibitors to protect the metal, especially iron, components in an engine and cooling system.

However, modern-day BMW engines use many aluminum parts that can be damaged by an IAT coolant.

IAT coolants are predominantly an ethylene glycol mixture. While it has excellent thermal properties — high boiling temperature and super low freezing temperature — the chemical composition of IAT coolants means that they often lose their properties fairly quickly.

To overcome its shortcomings, manufacturers began to look at other formulations that would work better with newer engines. The result was Organic Acid Technology.

Organic Acid Technology (OAT) Coolants
OAT coolants were made of non-degradable chemicals, overcoming one of IOT coolants’ most significant drawbacks. This meant that they had a longer lifespan and were less resistant to increasing electric conductivity and consequently corrosion as they deteriorated. These coolants were also silicate, borate, and nitrite free.

Unlike IOT coolants that had to be replaced every 2 years, OAT coolants were designed to last around 5 years or about 150,000 miles. However, it’s better to stick to a shorter replacement interval to keep performance at optimum levels.

The most significant advantage that OAT coolants brought was their compatibility with aluminum parts.

On the flip side, these coolants did not come with silicate and phosphate corrosion inhibitors.

Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) Coolants
Hybrid Organic Acid Technology is a formulation that combines the best of the previous two types of coolants. It offers the thermal properties of IAT coolants and the anti-corrosion strength of OAT coolants.

This is the recommended BMW coolant and is the only type of formulation you should ever use in your motorcycle.

Big John in SD...you are very informed on coolant iterations so a couple questions. I could not get BMW coolant quickly but Walmart down the road readily had Peak European blue antifreeze meeting ASTM D3306 so I gave my R1250RT a drink. When my 2020 gets to 3-4 years of age I plan to drain the OEM coolant, flush with DI, run it, drain it and fill with the gallon of Peak on my shelf.

I can't seem to find an SDS on the BMW coolant but I can find the Peak. Both have ethyl and diethyl glycol. Peak uses sodium benzoate (a silicate) and is a HOAT. I don't know what the BMW coolant uses for the HOAT. Do you know what's in the BMW or have an SDS to share?

Back