• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Connected Ride App

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
Is anyone else disappointed with the Connected Ride App?
IMO the app itself is OK if not a bit "clunky" (having to re-connect every time the bike is even briefly turned off and restarted, I suppose I can live with that)
But what I really don't like is the quality of the map itself. For one thing, the font used is so small as to be nearly impossible to read. For another, the bike's location is in the center of the screen meaning that 1/2 the map shows me where I've already been. It would be nice if the icon could be moved around on the display. Lastly, I have contacted BMW through the contact us part of the app as well as on my home computer. The only thing I've gotten so far is a confirmation of receipt - the auto-reply. It makes me wonder if anyone is really reading the feedback.

All of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below are about the Connected Ride App.

Is anyone else disappointed with the Connected Ride App?
IMO the app itself is OK if not a bit "clunky" (having to re-connect every time the bike is even briefly turned off and restarted, I suppose I can live with that)
But what I really don't like is the quality of the map itself. For one thing, the font used is so small as to be nearly impossible to read. For another, the bike's location is in the center of the screen meaning that 1/2 the map shows me where I've already been. It would be nice if the icon could be moved around on the display. Lastly, I have contacted BMW through the contact us part of the app as well as on my home computer. The only thing I've gotten so far is a confirmation of receipt - the auto-reply. It makes me wonder if anyone is really reading the feedback.

If you're using the phone by itself, then yes, it's not great. But if you have the cradle, it'll make your phone show a way different view of the GPS map.

Not sure if you're using an iPhone, but I used Automations to start Connected Ride every time it connects to the bike via Bluetooth. I like the music functions quite a bit, but next step for me is the charging cradle to make the App work better.

I think it's gonna fill that spot between full GPS nerd fest and nothing at all, though I wish it supported CarPlay.

If you're using the phone by itself, then yes, it's not great. But if you have the cradle, it'll make your phone show a way different view of the GPS map.

I used the Connected Ride App for about six months and did not like the contrasts between different items on the map. Am I reading this correctly that the map is different with the BMW phone cradle?

I don't think the map layer coloring changes, it gives a perspective vs top down view from what I've seen when on the cradle.

They really missed the boat on supporting android auto and carplay

For another, the bike's location is in the center of the screen meaning that 1/2 the map shows me where I've already been. It would be nice if the icon could be moved around on the display.

I understand this point, but I have had at least a dozen GPSs since 1997 and all of them had the vehicle icon in the center of the screen. A few allowed the display to slide when the touchscreen was swiped but the display would not stay in this configuration. It went back to the vehicle icon being centered.

Mine's been working flawlessly now for some time from navigation to music to phone, and reconnects each and every time without fail, in my case it looks like Apple has finally worked out the kinks. I've grown to like it a lot, very convenient. The map mirrors that on my TomTom Rider so I was accustomed to it out the gate. I like the concept and the fact I don't have to drop another 700 bucks for a dedicated GPS, cradle, ram mount, etc. etc.

Mine's been working flawlessly now for some time from navigation to music to phone, and reconnects each and every time without fail, in my case it looks like Apple has finally worked out the kinks. I've grown to like it a lot, very convenient. The map mirrors that on my TomTom Rider so I was accustomed to it out the gate. I like the concept and the fact I don't have to drop another 700 bucks for a dedicated GPS, cradle, ram mount, etc. etc.

Pretty much my take. I hate dealing with Garmin and their unbelievably bad software. I work for a software company and Garmin’s stuff is a relic of 1995. How, in 2023, do you need two pieces of software to manage a device and when we have things like dragging routes on Google Maps, why do we need to use waypoints to manage routes? Archaic and unnecessarily complex describes their software. It is very much “user second” and “device first” in terms of who it serves. O

Brutal and unnecessary given today's tools. I know, I sell them and help design them so that lawyers, the least technical people on the planet, can accomplish complex tasks.

I got a 595 with my GS and I'm going to sell it to buy a cradle. The PO removed the OG Nav Prep cradle, so I need to find one of those, too. Should be a wash, but I know I'll use it way more than the 595.

Are you using the Apple Automations to fire up Connected Ride when it bluetooths to your bike? That's been super convenient for me.

Last edited:
Pretty much my take. I hate dealing with Garmin and their unbelievably bad software. I work for a software company and their stuff is a relic of 1995. How, in 2023, do you need two pieces of software to manage a device and when we have things like dragging routes on Google Maps, why do we need to use waypoints to manage routes.

Brutal and unnecessary given today's tools. I know, I sell them and help design them so that lawyers, the least technical people on the planet, can accomplish complex tasks.

I got a 595 with my GS and I'm going to sell it to buy a cradle. The PO removed the OG Nav Prep cradle, so I need to find one of those, too. Should be a wash, but I know I'll use it way more than the 595.

Are you using the Apple Automations to fire up Connected Ride when it bluetooths to your bike? That's been super convenient for me.

I've never heard of Apple Automations, I'll have to look it up, my mum wanted me to be a lawyer, so I dont hold out much hope that I'll understand it.

They’re just If/then rule builders. They have a little guide to help build them.

IF your phone connects to your bike via Bluetooth, then start BMW Connected Ride app.

Works great and I never have to fish my phone out of my pocket to start the app.

Pretty much my take. I hate dealing with Garmin and their unbelievably bad software. I work for a software company and Garmin’s stuff is a relic of 1995. How, in 2023, do you need two pieces of software to manage a device and when we have things like dragging routes on Google Maps, why do we need to use waypoints to manage routes? Archaic and unnecessarily complex describes their software. It is very much “user second” and “device first” in terms of who it serves. O

“help design them so that lawyers…” funny. I was an expert technical witness on an $800 million lawsuit against State of California. I wrote one part of the technical legal declaration. Our attorneys in LA said the Judge (who presumably had been a lawyer at some point) would not understand it and they asked me to rewrite it as if I was explaining it to an 8th grader. 😂

Our attorneys in LA said the Judge (who presumably had been a lawyer at some point) would not understand it and they asked me to rewrite it as if I was explaining it to an 8th grader. ��

Which is a common recommendation for much technical writing and general writing. I always tried to do this when writing my Benchwrenching column. But that meant 1960s 8th graders, not necessarily 2020s 8th graders.

Not sure if you're using an iPhone, but I used Automations to start Connected Ride every time it connects to the bike via Bluetooth. I like the music functions quite a bit, but next step for me is the charging cradle to make the App work better.

I think it's gonna fill that spot between full GPS nerd fest and nothing at all, though I wish it supported CarPlay.
iPhone13 does not sit squarely in the cradle. BMW has admitted this problem and has stated they won't be addressing the issue. The phone connects to the bike via Bluetooth so why would it make a difference if the phone is in the cradle or connected with a cable and kept in the tankbag?

I often keep my cell phone in my tank bag, hooked to a charge cable, I've had zero issues connecting to the bike this way and sometimes prefer it to the cubby. I have on one occasion had the phone get to hot in the tank bag during recharge and shutdown.

Heat is really hard on batteries so if you must keep it there in hot riding weather at least move it to the bottom of the bag instead of right on the top.
Heat is not only hard on batteries, but other electronics as well. My Note10 suffered the loss of wireless charging on my trip to Springfield through 3 days of 105+F temps, with a peak temp of 119F in Needles, CA. Had to wait, cooling the phone in my shirt, to get a picture of the prairie schooner.
1708451701338.png

iPhone13 does not sit squarely in the cradle. BMW has admitted this problem and has stated they won't be addressing the issue. The phone connects to the bike via Bluetooth so why would it make a difference if the phone is in the cradle or connected with a cable and kept in the tankbag?
It's hard to see the screen in the tank bag is why I went with a mount, especially one that allows me to use the wonder wheel to control my phone. I have a 12 Mini and it's fully secured.

If it doesn't work for you then it's not the right solution for your situation, I guess. :dunno

Back