• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Concept 101 - by Roland Sands

No, the R9T is based off the BMW lo-rider concept (look it up). Roland Sands got an R9T from BMW and was contracted to adapt his styling to it.

This new concept reminds me of the crap baggers that followed after the chopper trend

They quit making that model because it didn't sell.

Harry

IIRC for 1999 it was their highest selling model.

They sold over 40,000 units during it's run.

According to BMW, they thought the 1200 cc engine was too small for the cruiser market.

See This article where they quote the president of BMW Motorod

Of course, the 1600 will be plenty of cc's and hp and torque to compete in the market segment.

The styling is another thing altogether.

And charging BMW prices will make it even more difficult to sell.

Wouldn't you expect BMW to charge more that than either of those two? I would, but I've been wrong before:dance.

Well, when the GW breached 30K, BMW came out with the K1600GTL Exclusive. So I guess they could.

Tail styling reminds my of a dragster bike I foolishly got on for a quarter mile once (bagless of course). Wonder what the seat height is - that is a draw for many.

No, the R9T is based off the BMW lo-rider concept (look it up). Roland Sands got an R9T from BMW and was contracted to adapt his styling to it.

thanks again. this is obviously the origin of the r9t http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-lo-rider/

Doesn't say RSD contributed to the design of the lo-rider. I was just curious as I think the r9t is a great looking bike and was wondering who the designer is.

the other RSD bike i linked to I don't think its a r9t because the photos are dated early 2o13, hence why i thought it might be the root per the comment i replied to. but obviously not since the lo-rider dates to 2009.

Wouldn't you expect BMW to charge more that than either of those two? I would, but I've been wrong before:dance.
With top-of-the-line Screaming Chicken HD's within spitting' distance of $40K, BMW at $30K for a K16GTL Exclusive still has some head room.

The R nineT was an inhouse job headed by Edgar Heinrich. It built on work done by David Robb’s group with the BMW Low Rider Concept in 2008. Heinrich’s group also did a Concept Roadster based on the wet head and shown at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este 2014 that BMW hosts.

Several concept bikes came out hinting at the coming of the R nineT. Sand’s BMW Concept Ninety made a major splash before the release of the Ninety Year Bike - the R nineT

David Robb's Lo Ridder was a two part concept. The obvious one was the motorcycle itself. The second concept component was the idea of mass customization by BMW. Individual owners would be presented a menu of parts to choose from and BMW would build and deliver the machine. The picture of some of the various combinations inspired many of us but apparently proved too complicated for BMW and dealers to pull off.

BMW Motorrad under new head Stephan Schaller and Heinrich direction has commissioned a number of outside shops to do concept bikes. The range of naked bikes has been expanding in large part to demand by the various national BMW Motorrad heads. In turn the “Make life a ride” marketing campaign builds on taking a BMW Motorrad and customizing it to your desires. To facilitate this we will see the MotherShip continue to expand custom parts ranges like they have for the R nineT and partner with outside companies like RSD and others.

BMW Motorrad and Orlando Bloom present the BMW S 1000 R Custom. Michael "Woolie" Woolaway from Deus Ex Machina turns Orlando Bloom's vision of a custom bike into reality.

BMW Motorrad Japan initiates Ignite Straight Six project. Fascination of six cylinders spectacularly interpreted by Japanese customizers.

Expect more.

Last edited:

No I wouldn't.

Take a look at the pricing for the S1000RR. It was very competative with the existing UJM superbikes and below the Italians. The second reson I don't think so is I don't believe this bike, if and when it goes into production, will be targeted to the US. Yes it will be sold here but I think it is inteded to stave off the influx of H-D, Victory and others to Europe along with competting with them in India and Australia. The more Americans complain the concept 101 is not a BMW and they would never buy the more it validates that they may be doing something right to fight in the "Bagger" segment in other than US markets. To be successful they must get both design and price competatively right.

Off topic but man I wish they'd hurry up and bring something from their partnership with TVS to the NA market. I'd love a 250-400cc Dual Sport bike with BMW heritage.

Back to your regular programming.

Spy photos of a 300 have been floating. It is expected to be debuted at EIMCA for delivery next year.

Victory-Vision-Street-03.jpg

YMMV

AH HA! :dance

Helmet chin strap fail? :wave

wow

Not that I would buy one, I think folks at HD and Victory will be taking a hard look.... and we will likely win some new riders to the expanding BMW world.

Why you're not published in the ON, or even linked from our home page, is beyond me. :dunno
Really should be referenced from the magazine........IMO the magazine should reference the forum. That's why McDonald's, Wendy's and Burger King locate near each other- they hope to drag each other up.
Before the "new" home page, there was a clickable link to BR&TMR. Probably needs an insertion.

All you need is a spell check... :ha
I'm not worried, with the amount that is typed and "linked" in, it's all good :thumb

Gary

Back