• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Concept 101 - by Roland Sands

Liaison
Staff member
I haven't seen this discussed yet...there is a news article on the main website:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/news.asp?id=233244

Also, there's a video about the Concept 101 - The Spirit of the Open Road:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tTs9lspSq0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Different strokes I guess. They still have pieces/parts that are low and wide to drag...but didn't go with the feet-forward approach.

I wouldn't buy one, but I also don't care if someone else does!

Can you image pulling up next to some guy on Screaming Eagle at a stop light? :whistle

jason

I think it's a reaction to the realization that the GS line has sold so well not because most buyers want to play on/off road but because of really comfy ergonomics and excellent tech and toys. The new 101 provides those same things in a very different platform. The look and (life)style of a cruiser with a very nice neutral seating position. I hope it does well. (and leads lots of folks to put their lightly used and well farkled R12GS on the used market!)

"The Concept 101 is the epitome of elegance, power and luxury on two wheels.” Not.

P90184377-702x395.jpg

Looks like they want part of Honda's market share.

2013-Honda-GoldWing-F6B1-small.jpg

If you like that kind of look there is always this.

Victory-Vision-Street-03.jpg

YMMV

Last edited:
Whoa, that is SERIOUSLY ugly. It's worse than one of those horrible Victory things. But I suppose someone will like it...

Love it. It isn't like anything else on the market. It has cues from others, but it is new enough. Lots of people on teh webz hating because it isn't like their Beemer. Mucho fine point for them. Not all Beemer toys are for them. They only have so much room in their garage anyway. This style is for all the others. The hot negatives, it sucks, is a good indicator of why MOA membership is in decline. To the negatives!
+1 It's too bad that the first problem is the glass is half empty :banghead
It looks OK to me but then again even if I don't really care for something, I can appreciate the effort that went into it's creation.
OM

Love it. It isn't like anything else on the market. It has cues from others, but it is new enough. Lots of people on teh webz hating because it isn't like their Beemer. Mucho fine point for them. Not all Beemer toys are for them. They only have so much room in their garage anyway. This style is for all the others. The hot negatives, it sucks, is a good indicator of why MOA membership is in decline. To the negatives!

I don't dislike it because it isn't like other Beemers. :wave

I dislike it because the styling sucks. But that's just my opinion. And, its worth just as much as anyones. :thumb

The hot negatives, it sucks, is a good indicator of why MOA membership is in decline. To the negatives!

A bit of a stretch, that one. BMW riders are more into function over style, and have always been that way. Besides, this is only a concept bike, not likely to ever see the showroom floor.

harry

The hot negatives, it sucks, is a good indicator of why MOA membership is in decline. To the negatives!

Hmm......If Mr. Sands wanted to build a derivative of the Honda or Victory product, then kudos to him. If on the other hand, he's suggesting that this is new or strikingly novel, he should review his work and other products on the market.

Can someone please ask Roland Sands to stop ruining every bike with which he comes in contact?

We get it Roland, you're a stylist now. Now just stop, willya?

Thank you.

:laugh

A bit of a stretch, that one. BMW riders are more into function over style, and have always been that way. Besides, this is only a concept bike, not likely to ever see the showroom floor.

harry

Sands also did the concept for the R9T. The production bike was more palatable.

I wouldn't buy one, but I also don't care if someone else does!

Can you image pulling up next to some guy on Screaming Eagle at a stop light? :whistle

jason

I can imagine smoking the screaming eagle pulling away from the light.

I actually owned an R1200C and rode it too. For nearly a decade. A work of art? Form over function? Huh... Never really applied that thinking to the chrome head.

They quit making that model because it didn't sell.

Harry

It looks like a "knock-off" of the Honda Goldwing F6B, which is a 'knock-off" of an HD Street Glide. I don't think the F6B has been flying off the showroom floors, so for BMW the dilemma is, will a $30,000 copy of the Street glide be a sales success? The BMW has the same useless sloping passenger seat as the Street Glide, and the seat height is so low that it looks rear shock travel might be around 2", same as the Street Glide. I am not sure anybody besides HD can make form over function sell.

I couldn't design a stick figure with any skill, but I know what I like.

I'll take Edgar Heinrich or even Chris Bangle over Roland.

Back