• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clutch Switch Replacement

rolandj727

I have to replace my clutch switch on my '98 1100RT and have two problems.

1) have the wrong switch. BMW gave me with two prongs instead of 4. Will exchange on Tuesday when they are open.

2) what is the best way to get the handlebar connection off? It is buried at the back of the clutch leveler? The replacement has wrench head on it, but don't see how you could ever get a socket or wrench on the installed one. Do I need to take whole clutch handle off handlebars?

Thanks,

Roland

Two or four prongs? Not sure what you mean but the clutch switch you need has two pins in the electrical connector. The wires leading from the switch into that connector are yellow.

Cut the wire off the old switch, then twist the rubber boot off. That will give you better access to get to the wrench flats. They are 11mm. I use a cutaway socket to loosen them. There's no need to tighten the new one; the wire will keep it from unscrewing.

Back