• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Changing My Own Tires? - Requesting Sage Advice

jbtex

My wife and I are fairly new to motorcycling. After having gone through a few different ones, we settled on an all BMW stable with an '18 R1200RT, an '18 G310GS, and a '19 F750GS.

I intend to change tires myself as is the case with most of the routine maintenance of our bikes. As we are about an hour's drive away from the next BMW dealer, I generally enjoy the mechanical aspects. I've scoped out various methods of changing tires, from having a mobile service come and do it, to taking the bikes in, to what seems to be a fairly straight forward matter of doing it yourself, given the right tools.

Never having changed a motorcycle tire myself, I don't want to be overconfident to the point where this is turning into a trial and error endeavor and wasting money. So, I prefer doing the research before diving in by asking this honored community for input. :)

I've looked at dozens of videos of folks changing their own tires. Some with simple tools such as tire irons, all the way to the various tire changing machines of the likes of No-Mar and the max2h.com.

Given the models I have listed, what would you say is the best set of tools to do so?

Here are some of the questions I have:

• R1200RT: Changing it with manual tools (tire irons, etc.), how much of a bear is the rear tire? Can it be actually done?
  • R1200RT: If not with manual tools, what "machine" would you recommend?
  • Breaking Beads: Better to use something like a BeadBuster?
  • Any suggestions or things to watch out for?

I don't mind spending money on tools, up to a certain point. However, they need to make sense in terms of not hurting myself and being effective.

Ambition fellow! I say go for it. A heavy tire like what you'll get on the 1200 will be a bear with only tire irons. I'm building a new shed in the next year or two and I plan to put in a No Mar tire stand, I have a friend who has one and he loves it. I'd say you'll be making your life much easier getting a machine of some sort. Don't feel bad, it's a 2 hour run to my mechanic, I have an 1100 tire waiting there to be put on.

Ambition fellow! I say go for it. A heavy tire like what you'll get on the 1200 will be a bear with only tire irons. I'm building a new shed in the next year or two and I plan to put in a No Mar tire stand, I have a friend who has one and he loves it. I'd say you'll be making your life much easier getting a machine of some sort. Don't feel bad, it's a 2 hour run to my mechanic, I have an 1100 tire waiting there to be put on.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

If it weren't for that 1200 rear tire, I think I'd try with all hand tools first. I've seen a No-Mar video where they are changing a Gold Wing tire and I figure that the 180/55 on that RT will be a similar experience.

I change tires on my bike, and have helped others. A few observations:
  • If you are REALLY picky about scratches on your rims, pay someone to do it. It's sometimes a little cheaper if you take wheels in off the bike.
  • A bead breaker is handy. I have used a big C-clamp, but life is better after I bought a bead breaker at Harbor Fright.
  • Not all tires are equally easy to change even on the same rim. I just mounted some Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO tires on my 2000 R1100RS and they were the stiffest sidewalls I have ever dealt with and hard to mount.
  • I have several small tire irons and a couple about 24" long. I needed the long one on the RS rear tire on that Bridgestone.
Overall, I prefer changing my own because of the convenience. I'm several miles from a shop that does cycle tires. I originally did it to save money. I don't pay installation and I don't pay inflated prices for tires AND I have my choice of tires. None of those are true at the dealership.

I've been changing our tires and other people's tires for many years. For the past nine years I've used a No Mar tire changer and before that a Harbor Freight, I recently got a pneumatic/electric changer. In general I find doing the front tire more difficult than the rear. The drop center on the narrower rims is small. The most onerous tires to change can be 21 inch tube type tires. My advice is to look on YouTube for videos on how to change a motorcycle tire, there are many. There are also examples of homemade devices for holding the wheel in place while you work. Having the wheel held firm and at waist level will be a big help. An extra pair of hands is also helpful. Enlist the aide of a riding buddy and the two of you can help each other and learn together as well. It is hard to over emphasize the importance of heat and lubrication. Better too much of both than too little of either. I use road racing tire warmers that can get a tire too hot to handle with my bare hands.

You should consider a Harbor Freight changer and balancer. The are pretty cheap but get the job done. There are many videos on using the HF changer and on modifications that make it easier to use and less likely to scratch a wheel.

Good luck!

I've been changing our tires and other people's tires for many years. For the past nine years I've used a No Mar tire changer and before that a Harbor Freight, I recently got a pneumatic/electric changer. In general I find doing the front tire more difficult than the rear. The drop center on the narrower rims is small. The most onerous tires to change can be 21 inch tube type tires. My advice is to look on YouTube for videos on how to change a motorcycle tire, there are many. There are also examples of homemade devices for holding the wheel in place while you work. Having the wheel held firm and at waist level will be a big help. An extra pair of hands is also helpful. Enlist the aide of a riding buddy and the two of you can help each other and learn together as well. It is hard to over emphasize the importance of heat and lubrication. Better too much of both than too little of either. I use road racing tire warmers that can get a tire too hot to handle with my bare hands.

You should consider a Harbor Freight changer and balancer. The are pretty cheap but get the job done. There are many videos on using the HF changer and on modifications that make it easier to use and less likely to scratch a wheel.

Good luck!

Good to hear that HF changers are a viable option. I've read various comments about them, so was a bit on the fence.

Watched plenty of YouTube videos and concur that a number of tricks in them are definitely helpful.

Curious, I've seen comments about the BMW rims having shallow drop centers, which makes the tire change difficult. What is your experience?

Those are all tubeless tires, so that greatly simplifies the task. My experience has been that the rear tires on BMWs are much easier to mount/dismount than the front; BMW puts enough “dish” into the rims to make the task easier. For years I changed tires by hand, then for years used a Harbor Freight setup enhanced with a couple of aftermarket add-ons, about a $275 investment all in. I then switched to a NoMar, a much better system but about $650 investment and well worth it. Two big advantages of using a machine are the ease of breaking loose a bead, and that the wheel, bearings, and brake rotor are not on the floor getting contaminated or bent.

Even with a machine you’ll need a pair of tire irons from time to time. I recommend the titanium ones from Aerostich and other vendors. They are strong without being thick and thus easier to work in/out of the bead area. You will definitely want rim protectors anytime tire irons are used. And, despite the fact that NoMar furnishes it’s own mount/demount bar, I find I get much better results using a MoJo Lever and Yellow Thing. (Google them)

Lastly, tire mounting paste is your friend when applied correctly. It is principally the RIM that gets lubed, along with the inside of the bead and the horizontal portion of the bead. I never lube the outside (vertical) face of the bead—if I feel the need for that when seating the bead I use a spray bottle with plain water. NoMar has good instructions on lubing.

You’ll also need to consider a tire balancing setup. Shops around here get $30-40 to mount and balance a carry-in wheel and tire, and several refuse to mount a tire they didn’t sell. And even on a carry-in you are plugged into their schedule, not yours. I do 5 to 7 tire changes/yr between my needs and my friends, so at local rates I have a 3-4yr payback on the NoMar. But, I also know that the internal surfaces of my rims are cleaned and inspected before mounting new rubber, and that my wheels are correctly and carefully balanced before going back on the bike and that they haven’t been down on the floor during the change. And my friends always bring beer with their tires...

Best,
DeVern

Another option is to remove the wheels yourself and carry them in.
No need to go to a BMW dealer, just make sure the shop has a adapter to balance the rear wheel.
I buy my tires from a independent shop one hour away and he charges $25 to mount and balance.

With great advice from this forum, I removed my rear tire and brought it to my local (non)BMW guy- $30 bucks mount and balance- he laughed when I said I had thought of doing it myself- the laugh of experience...He's seen the results of those attempts- not to denigrate those here who do it, but I'd save my learning skill for other routine maintenance.

With great advice from this forum, I removed my rear tire and brought it to my local (non)BMW guy- $30 bucks mount and balance- he laughed when I said I had thought of doing it myself- the laugh of experience...He's seen the results of those attempts- not to denigrate those here who do it, but I'd save my learning skill for other routine maintenance. Oh and don't worry about spending money on tools- there's plenty of opportunity- even without a tire machine.

I have a Harbor Freight changer with the Mojo blocks and lever. I have been changing my Harley tires for years with no issues, but my R1200RT tires kick my butt!
I use my HF changer to hold the rim and end up taking the tire off with irons. I have the yellow thing from Nomar, a couple rim protectors, a couple different tire irons, wood blocks to force the tire to the drop center, a couple small bar clamps and plenty of lube.

If you have never changed tires before a BMW is a tough place to start.

I have the exact same experience as Poorub above (except my RT is a 99].
Having said that, you can get it done with the Horror Freight tire and the extras as listed above but it is laborious and you will sweat! I use a static balancing stand and it works fine. I haven’t dented any rims....yet.
Good luck.

From my experience, either the sidewalks of tires are getting stiffer or I’m getting weaker. Technique will carry you pretty far; pneumatic power will push you over the line.

From my experience, either the sidewalks of tires are getting stiffer or I’m getting weaker. Technique will carry you pretty far; pneumatic power will push you over the line.

Could be that you’re getting smarter, too! :)

I finally got smart enough to stay away from Goldwing wheels and Michelin Pilot Activ tires on snowflake rims...
:nod
Best,
DeVern

I use my Harbor Freight tire changer for the spoked motorcycle wheels, with MoJo blocks. I do watch the NoMar videos and have picked up some new tricks to aid in dismounting tires, so they are really helpful regardless of the changer. When it comes to my R1100 wheels I buy my own tires and let the BMW dealer do them or another Pro. I have seriously considered buying a NoMar unit just to do the BMW tires and others, but I just can't justify the investment due the the miles I ride and coming up on 75.

Changing Your Own Tires

One question for the group here? Where can I get the adapter needed to balance the rear wheel of the GS? I've seen of few videos of a hack made from PVC piping but I'm looking for all alternatives before I consider going that route. Thanks.

Kent

After seeing the responses so far, I would guess you are getting a feel for the process. How about checking around with some of the “locals” and offer to assist during their next tire change?
“Experience- worth all the book learning in the world”.
OM

After seeing the responses so far, I would guess you are getting a feel for the process. How about checking around with some of the “locals” and offer to assist during their next tire change?
“Experience- worth all the book learning in the world”.
OM

Indeed! Very helpful information for sure. That's what I love about this community.

As for your suggestion, that is brilliant. I recently connected with a local rider's group. Very few of them are BMW riders from what I have seen so far, but that doesn't really matter for what we are talking about. What is unique to especially the R1200RT I can pick up from here. :)

Back