• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cell Phone Wireless charger issues

mosrrt

Have a 22 RT with a cellphone wireless charger in the right glove box.
I can’t get the iPhone 12 mini to charge when using this charger .
The Green charging light will come on and then go out to yellow .
Tried moving the phone around on the pad and even took off the skinny phone cover . Still no luck with the charger …..

Something I am missing or any ideas how to get this working ??

Thanks , Mike

Have a 22 RT with a cellphone wireless charger in the right glove box.
I can’t get the iPhone 12 mini to charge when using this charger .
The Green charging light will come on and then go out to yellow .
Tried moving the phone around on the pad and even took off the skinny phone cover . Still no luck with the charger …..

Something I am missing or any ideas how to get this working ??

Thanks , Mike

Are you securing it with the clamp? And the phone is snug against the clamp? I find my iPhone 13 behaves as you describe if I've forgotten to clamp it down. I have an Otto box cover and it charges fine with the cover installed.

Are you securing it with the clamp? And the phone is snug against the clamp? I find my iPhone 13 behaves as you describe if I've forgotten to clamp it down. I have an Otto box cover and it charges fine with the cover installed.

Yes clamp and not charging…………………

I was told when I picked up my 23 RT that some smaller phones slip in too far and end up past the wireless charging pad. The salesman suggested in that situation some owners found adding a bit of filler padding or something into the end of the slot held the phone back where it would contact the pad. My Pixel 5 seems to be fine.

I was told when I picked up my 23 RT that some smaller phones slip in too far and end up past the wireless charging pad. The salesman suggested in that situation some owners found adding a bit of filler padding or something into the end of the slot held the phone back where it would contact the pad. My Pixel 5 seems to be fine.

That's what the clamp is for. You pull the phone against the clamp and it holds the phone from slipping past the charging pad.

That's what the clamp is for. You pull the phone against the clamp and it holds the phone from slipping past the charging pad.

Clamp in with or without my iPhone cover …..it does not work on the 12mini …….wife’s 10R iPhone charges fine on the pad ……..I
iPhone 12 mini also charges fine in the cars wireless pad ……

Clamp in with or without my iPhone cover …..it does not work on the 12mini …….wife’s 10R iPhone charges fine on the pad ……..I
iPhone 12 mini also charges fine in the cars wireless pad ……

Is it flashing yellow or solid?

Flashing yellow
It goes from solid green , in a few seconds it goes to flashing yellow

Pretty sure that's an alignment issue. It made an initial connection with the phone but couldn't maintain it. The manual also states excess temperature or foreign object - but it sounds like it's not that with yours given the other phone charges. I have this issue if I put the phone in with the top of the phone towards me - reversing it and putting the top towards the front of the bike is more reliable.

I was disappointed with the rate/speed the wireless charges the phone, very slow. I have an older Samsung Galaxy S10 with the Quad Lock case. I also didn't like the heat it created in summer, a few times it got hot enough that it shut itself off, I learned to ride with the door open. I've gone back to plugging it in the USB, when I don't have it mounted on the Quad Lock mount. Not a big deal.

I will try reversing the phone … tail end first ……I do think it’s a position issue , just not lining up the the charging pad …….other wise I will just plug it in and be done with it 😁

Just one more example of why "owner complaints" measured by Consumer Reports and by J.D. Power have tanked BMW "reliability ratings" to a point well below Harley Davidson and Kymco.

Just one more example of why "owner complaints" measured by Consumer Reports and by J.D. Power have tanked BMW "reliability ratings" to a point well below Harley Davidson and Kymco.

All this high tech stuff is “designed”to make motorcycle travel easier ……… I like you , have put a lot of miles on bikes and cars with just a map ……no gps , no phone …..
🤪

I had similar technical issues with a new 5 Series - the difference between the "complaints" I've had with the car versus the bike, is that the car dealer could always answer my question or get an answer from BMW. With the bike, it's mostly "no idea" from the dealer, as though the technology came from somewhere else. The car dealer seemed to understand/appreciate they sell a premium product and delivered premium service. BMW seems to understand that as well, at least with respect to the cars. Doesn't bode well for the future of the Motorrad.

iPhone charging

When I picked up my 2021 RT the wireless charging would not work with my iPhone 12. Dealer contacted BMWNA and BMW Germany and the official factory response was the system won't work with iPhones (I have the official letter in my file). Finley after the most recent software update installation to the bike it seems to have cured the problem... most of the time, but I keep a small lightning cord in the left storage compartment just in case. FYI the software update at the dealer will take about 4 hours. Luckly, they didn't charge me for the update.

Newer iPhones "Too Thick" for Charging

Repeating what others have already described, the newer iPhones have a very tall/thick camera lens assembly, preventing the phone from laying flat enough for the induction charger to work on the '21 and up R1250RT's.

I am now using a 1-foot USB A to Right Angle Lightning connector cable for charging while on the road. It is a little fussy but you get used to it quickly.

R1250RT_PhoneCompartment_10.jpg

Repeating what others have already described, the newer iPhones have a very tall/thick camera lens assembly, preventing the phone from laying flat enough for the induction charger to work on the '21 and up R1250RT's.

I am now using a 1-foot USB A to Right Angle Lightning connector cable for charging while on the road. It is a little fussy but you get used to it quickly.

View attachment 92168

I have been looking for something like this . Where did you purchase it ?

Thanks

Back