• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Castrol oil from Amazon

$43.68 when I ordered just one 6 pack. When I changed the order to rwo 6 packs, the discount was not figured for the second. No problem. Ordered one and then logged into my wife's account for the other.

Just ordered two times for one case on each order. Shipping time estimated to be 1 to 2 months. Thats OK, I still have a small supply.

Great find, Thanks:wave

Paul, any comments on how this oil affects shifting quality over Advantec Ultimate? I am imagining it's the same on shifting and clutch behavior but just checking as the price is sure right on it. Also, have you ever done a Blackstone UOA on it and if so after how many miles? Thanks

I have been using the Castrol since 5000 miles so I could not comment, but the bike shifts fine!

Just ordered two times for one case on each order. Shipping time estimated to be 1 to 2 months. Thats OK, I still have a small supply.

Great find, Thanks:wave

If you check your tracking info it probably shows 1 or 2 weeks.

Racing engine oil

Castrol-Power-Racing-Synthetic-Motorcycle
tks, jason

On a different note, Try to remember that "racing" oil, contains minimal "anti-rust" additives.
On the belief that racing engines don't run 5000 to 6000 miles between oil changes.
max

Yep, and the spec for air/oil cooled camheads is 10W-40, but other than that...

10W-50 is listed equally in owners manual. The Service DVD lists only 15W-50. I'm using Motorex Boxer 4T 15W-50 in mine.

The xxW-40 spec for Wetheads has more to do with the wet clutch than anything different about the motor.

If you check your tracking info it probably shows 1 or 2 weeks.

You are correct. I got an email update for delivery on 10/3. They probably estimated long not knowing when their stock would be replenished. Always a good business practice to under promise and over deliver. That seems to be the case here.

Paul, any comments on how this oil affects shifting quality over Advantec Ultimate? I am imagining it's the same on shifting and clutch behavior but just checking as the price is sure right on it. Also, have you ever done a Blackstone UOA on it and if so after how many miles? Thanks

For me, I did notice a difference in shift quality, and not for the better.

I have a 2016 R1200GSW with the gear shift assist type transmission. I found this oil to have degraded the quality of shifting in my bike.

I have about 2100 miles on this oil and noticed a difference from almost the beginning. With this oil I have found neutral to be much harder to find. From neutral to first is much louder and more abrupt and shifts in the other gears not as smooth.

I personally won't be using this oil again and will drain it and change it early due to my dissatisfaction.

For me, I did notice a difference in shift quality, and not for the better.

I have a 2016 R1200GSW with the gear shift assist type transmission. I found this oil to have degraded the quality of shifting in my bike.

I have about 2100 miles on this oil and noticed a difference from almost the beginning. With this oil I have found neutral to be much harder to find. From neutral to first is much louder and more abrupt and shifts in the other gears not as smooth.

I personally won't be using this oil again and will drain it and change it early due to my dissatisfaction.

Much appreciated thanks :wave

It is an oil and manufacturer BMW recommends or did until they got a cheaper supplier. I use it and no change from current BMW labeled oil....everything functions as should. And at $8.00 less per quart....like getting two free oil filters per change.

Back