• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Carbon helmet lifespan

hive1969

As a general rule we are all told to change our standard fiber glass / composite helmets every 5 years, however carbon fiber does not break down like standard composite helmets. So what is an acceptable lifespan for a carbon fiber helmet? Until the interior no longer fits or is there a better gauge?

Last edited:
The shell may be different but the internals, not so much. The EPS that provides energy dissipation is still susceptible to degradation, as are the internal liner fabrics and foam. I don’t see increased shell longevity as providing significantly longer helmet life unless the manufacturers want to get into rebuilding and relining helmets.

Best,
DeVern

The shell may be different but the internals, not so much. The EPS that provides energy dissipation is still susceptible to degradation, as are the internal liner fabrics and foam. I don’t see increased shell longevity as providing significantly longer helmet life unless the manufacturers want to get into rebuilding and relining helmets.

Best,
DeVern

What he said. As all things, YMMV, as the amount of use, your body chemistry, environment of use all play a part in how long the interior of the helmet will last. I changed helmets more frequently when I was daily commuting in SoCal due to the amount of use and sweat the helmet was subjected to. With 250 or so riding days to work, and a 100 mile round trip, the helmet gets a lot of use. Wear becomes a factor too.

Should be about the same, as stated above, and the same "replace after impact" rule should also apply.

My AGV SportModular carbon helmet is very light, quiet and well finished enough to justify the cost to me. The warm-weather/ cold-weather reversible crown padding really works, too! It may not have any additional lifespan, but it sure feels good while using it.

I don't know if this is true or not.
But when I was a young rider, the older guys told us punks don't leave your helmet stored near your bike; The slight gas fumes would attack the foam and degrade it

True?

Nick

Old helmets

I don't know about gas fumes degrading the liners of old helmets, in my experience they started to degrade as soon as they came out of the box, lol. I laugh now at what we wore back then as compared to now. But, it was the best technology/design of the times and was better than nothing. St.

In the olden daze of carbonators, gasoline was more likely to leak into the nearby air, whether from a vent cap, a leaky fuel line, or the carb itself. I have to think that distance is a major factor here.

On the other hand, gasoline will certainly degrade any kind of styrofoam (try putting a few drops into a styrofoam cup) ... so it's still probably a good idea not to keep the helmet near a potential gas source.

Thank you all

Your’all responses have been fantastic. I was thinking about longevity of the outer shell, but the interior is critically important and does not last as long as the exterior. So I Carbon helmet is great for looks and light weight, but lasts no longer than a conventional helmet.

Back