• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canadian gas mileage; revolution?

BCKRider

Kbiker
I consider myself a full-fledged Canadian having emigrated from the US in 1970, obtained Canadian citizenship, and even learned to understand temperature in degrees Celcius. (Want a good enough conversion, C. to F.? 0=freezing, 5=40, 10=50, 15=60, 20=70, 25=80, 30=85, 35=95, 40=105. Close enough for what to wear when riding.)

In 1970 temperature was still in Fahrenheit, distance was measured in miles, and gas in gallons, but IMPERIAL gallons (which were bigger: 1 Imperial gallon = 1.19 US gallon.) Lots of Canadians (and Americans) then couldn't understand why their gas mileage so suddenly dropped or improved when they crossed the border.

Then came the government imposed revolution somewhere before 1975; Celsius, kilometers, litres. Our nation converted to metric. For years questions such as "how cold did it get last night at your place" disappeared from small talk. Many of us didn't any longer speak the same language.

Canadians, over three decades later, have mainly adjusted to temperature in Celcius and distance in kilometers but mostly cannot talk sensibly about gas mileage with their American friends.

The government created the problem. Since our Canadian vehicles almost all measure distance in kilometers and we buy our gas in liters, you might think that new vehicle stickers, etc., would be in "KM/L" just as the Americans are "MPG." Wrong. The offical numbers on new vehicle stickers are "liters per 100 km:" far less useful since it requires yet another math exercise. Then they give MPG rating WHICH IS BASED UPON THE IMPERIAL GALLON. Anyone know if there is a country on this planet which still sells gas by the Imperial gallon?

So, Canadians, revolt! Set your trip odo to zero when you fill up. Get the receipt and write the trip distance. Do this a few times and the total distance divided by the total liters equals your average kilometer per liter. Multiply that number by 2.36 and you now have an accurate comparison with your friends south of the border when then they talk gas mileage.

I realize I'm raising other questions such as range, odometer accuracy which is generally good on the earlier K bikes, (other bikes?) even if their speedos aren't, and the question of riding a fuel injected bike so low in the tank that the fuel pump isn't covered with fuel for cooling reasons.

Whatever else, you Canadian members please respond to the plea that, at least in Canada, we discuss "mileage" as kilometers per liter. Then when we head south of the border, we can dig out out our little calculators, hit 2.36, and be speaking their language.

I think the Americans should change to galons per mile instead.

Stating fuel consumption as a volume to a standard measure of time or distance does make a bit more sense. Aviation uses gallons/hour or pounds/hour to quantify consumption. However, I do still tend to think in miles per gallon often since I'm so accustomed to it. I am learning to use the L/100 Km method now that I have the trip computer equipped F800GS which gives the constant readout and average fuel economy in that value.

Didn't you all know?

We are Borg.
You will be assimilated.
Resistance is futile.

:stick

Yea, but you Canadians always get good mileage when you come down to the states, 'cause its down hill.

I like to convert km/litre to mpg, using a factor of 2.8, for Imperial.

That way I get more miles per gallon, and feel better. :D

My RS used to get 52 mpg, in fact, but let me tell you about our Golf turbo diesel...

Last edited:
When speaking with others, I don't bother with MPG, km/h, L/100 km or the like. I can travel approximately 2 1/2 hours on a tank of fuel at normal highway cruising speeds. So, it's simple. I ride for 2 hours and stop to top up the tank and rest my tush. Or, when in commuting mode, I fill up when the fuel light comes on. I can usually make 5 round trips to work and not have the light come on.

I have kept a detailed fuel log over the past 2 1/2 years. My mileage has not changed in that time whether I am burning Canadian or American fuel. Over 30,000 km, I am averaging 5.73L/100 km (49.26 Miles per Imperial Gallon). And I figure I have at least 4,000 km to go this year (I'm hoping) before the ice settles on the roads.

Don't understand why;

Canada, at one tenth the population of the USA, why it doesn't change to our system:). 300 million here vs 30 million up there. Hmmmmmm? I love Canada and ride there as much and often as I can, doing the ocean to ocean a couple years ago up there:). One of my best trips, ever:). Metrics are fine, you keep it. It never went over well down here, as the experiment was tried a lot of years ago in the USA. Never got off the ground, except "Interstate 19 in AZ" still has the Kilo's for mileage from Tucson to the Mexican Border. We are different countries which makes us special. You have French, we have Spanish and so on...So many differences make us unique in the world:). Litres are not hard to figure either, as I know 3.78 litres to my USA gallon...8 gallons in my GSA equals 30.2+ litres and I know from there my mpg's:), so simple.....Randy:usa:ca:usa:ca

Canada, at one tenth the population of the USA, why it doesn't change to our system:). 300 million here vs 30 million up there.

Six and a half billion people in the world and only 300 million in the US using a non-metric system. Why don't they change to our system.:stick

:p:p:p

:ca:ca:ca

Metrics are fine, you keep it. It never went over well down here, as the experiment was tried a lot of years ago in the USA. Never got off the ground,

Seems metrics have taken over with hard liquor and illegal drugs down here. Everything else can't be far behind. :laugh

As Arlo's song goes:

"Flying into Los Angelees,

carrying a couple of kees,

don't check my bags, if you please, Mr. Customs man...."

And it's a good thing you can't hear me sing it, even if this is Campfire. :laugh

Speaking as a life-long American, metric measurements are far easier to work with than the irregular, oddball, non-decimal measurements that we usually use. Why we Americans haven't switched is a mystery to me. I suspect that it has something to do with obstinate stubbornness because I can see no other reason for keeping our goofy British-based measuring system that our friends up north and even the British have abandoned.

Never got off the ground, except "Interstate 19 in AZ" still has the Kilo's for mileage from Tucson to the Mexican Border. We are different countries which makes us special. You have French...
In British Columbia?
I read somewhere recently they're trying to drop the "Queen".

Anyway... I think there is a sign or two up in the Adirondacks of NY that have both miles and KM also. From back in the early Seventies when the conversion/switch was starting.
It never stuck. I guess working in tenths was too hard for us 'mericans, eh?

http://www.gometricamerica.org/

Back