• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Buying a Used Bike Online

poco183

Poco183
Last year, I bought a 16 RT on a Fly and Ride. Everything was very easy and the deal went without a hitch.

Now, I'm selling my 09 RT. I have an interested party in California and I'm in Michigan. I suggested he do a Fly and Ride but he is concerned about the cost of the flight ($500) and the ride back home. I guess it's too long for him.

He has asked me to ship the bike after he gives me a deposit. I have refused to send the bike without full payment and the check clearing my bank. Am I being unreasonable? Maybe my 27 years as a law enforcement officer have jaded me and made me suspicious. I'd like to sell the bike but don't want to be screwed in the process.

How do sales go when you ship a bike?

Thoughts?

No money no bike

I would never ship, give or give title to someone who has not paid in full.

Nor wouild I take payments for something.

If someone won't come to you, pay you and make their own shipping arrangements they don't want the bike bad enough.

Don't trust anyone! St.

I would never ship, give or give title to someone who has not paid in full.

Nor wouild I take payments for something.

If someone won't come to you, pay you and make their own shipping arrangements they don't want the bike bad enough.

Don't trust anyone! St.

Part of the harsh reality.
What happens when the purchaser isn’t happy......
OM

Last year, I bought a 16 RT on a Fly and Ride. Everything was very easy and the deal went without a hitch.

Now, I'm selling my 09 RT. I have an interested party in California and I'm in Michigan. I suggested he do a Fly and Ride but he is concerned about the cost of the flight ($500) and the ride back home. I guess it's too long for him.

He has asked me to ship the bike after he gives me a deposit. I have refused to send the bike without full payment and the check clearing my bank. Am I being unreasonable? Maybe my 27 years as a law enforcement officer have jaded me and made me suspicious. I'd like to sell the bike but don't want to be screwed in the process.

Thoughts?

Bike doesn't leave until cash is in hand. I have sold 3 this way.

Thoughts?

Find another buyer, this smells bad already!

Do not take a cashiers check either. It will clear all right after a couple of days but if it's fake it could take weeks before that is known.
In that case your bank will demand reimbursement from you. There is no way out.

I would take a personal check no problem, and when it has cleared the bank he can have his bike. But you are talking about a deposit, and like mentioned, I'd simply quit corresponding if that's the best he can offer.

I bought a nice travel trailer from a fellow in western MT two years ago from an ad on Craigslist. I knew when I was talking to him that he was sincere, I bought it sight unseen and sent him a personal check. He was apprehensive but since it was in November, I told him to cash the check and let me know when he was comfortable with everything and I would come get the trailer. 3 weeks later I went to pick it up, and it was everything I had expected. As far as I am concerned, I, the buyer, was the one sticking my neck out.

Best of luck with the sale of your bike. If you have any doubts, make it cash only. Somebody will want it.

Anyone buying a BMW who is afraid of doing a fly and ride is someone who shouldn't be buying a BMW. To add on to this scenario, this guy wants you to ship a bike with only a deposit? yea, NO. Thanks for your time, have a nice day.
Your opinion on people may be jaded from being a PO BUT your initial impression is spot on, don't do it.

poco:

I've done four out-of-province deals, including an international one.

What you do is call your buyer and get to know him. You can make up a list of talking points. I quickly developed a rapport with each of my buyers/sellers. You find out their names and what they do and then do some Google searches.

Set up a separate bank account with a nominal deposit. Once you've established a price, he WIRES you a deposit and you can then take the bike to a technician of the buyer's choice for the pre-purchase inspection. Ensure that the buyer is responsible for the inspection fees, so that your bike is not held for non payment.

Assuming the inspection is satisfactory, he WIRES the balance of the purchase price to your account, flies in and rides it home, or arranges for shipping.

I would avoid getting into escrow arrangements, as there can be disputes on the terms of the release. If the buyer is not willing to do this, the deal can probably not proceed.

All of my transactions went smoothly, with respect to exchanging documents and funds.

Payment in full!

Thoughts?

Trust your instincts! There is now way you should ship that bike without the agreed upon funds!!

Back