• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bay Area - Can You Look at a Bike for Me?

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Hi Folks,

About 20 years ago Bob Higdon got a bug in his bonnet, as he often does, and decided to ride Rt. 50 from the old track in San Francisco, through Sacramento, and all the way to Ocean City, Maryland. In all the riding all the world over he has done, he still looks fondly on that ride - and ever since he got back I've been wanting to take it myself. I now have the time in August and a kitchen pass, and I figured the easiest way to do it would be to buy a bike in San Francisco and ride it back.

Enter the MOW MOA :)

I've found a bike I'd like to buy, but am in great need of someone who has a few hours free to go take a look at it. It is a 2013 F800GT, and I have swapped a bunch of email with the seller, a nice guy named Jim, who is fully informed of my plans. The bike is in/near a place called "Sharp Park" - sooooo, anyone have a few hours they would be willing to give helping me check off a top item on the bucket list? I'd just need an independent set of eyes to look, maybe while on the phone with me, and maybe take a few pics or facetime.

Thanks!

Ted

Sharp Park is a neighborhood of Pacifica, a small town on the coast about 13 miles south of SanFrancisco.
It’s about 8 miles west of the San Francisco airport.

Unfortunately Ted, I know nothing about F800s.

:dance:dance:dance

Hi Kurt - great suggestion, will try that too!

Hi Lee and Paul!! My K75RT isn't going anywhere, though it does need a new fuel pump (starting to take "whining" to a new level!) It is however now just shy of 30-years old, and I've been looking for something to use for longer rides. I rode the F900XR and liked it, sat on the S1000XR (2019) and loved it, but settled on the F800GT due to it being light, easy to ride, upright seating, and dependable (not to mention affordable.)

I don't think I am in need of an expert, more just someone who can look at the bike as well as the seller and let me know thoughts (does it start and idle well, no obvious accident damage, etc.) If anyone has some time I'd sure appreciate it - please PM me and I will send along details.

Best,

Ted

Dave Swider lives close to Pacifica. I pm'd you his phone numbers.

F800GT is a great choice... I was drooling over one in Germany a couple of weeks ago.

Looks like I am all set - can't believe this actually might happen! Though I am guessing August in Nevada might just be hotter than a set of Bloomsburg jet trucks ;-)

Looks like I am all set - can't believe this actually might happen! Though I am guessing August in Nevada might just be hotter than a set of Bloomsburg jet trucks ;-)

Sitting far up the stands, wearing shorts, I can still remember my legs sweating once those beasts were fired up. :D

Sitting far up the stands, wearing shorts, I can still remember my legs sweating once those beasts were fired up. :D

We were in the front row of the stands. Voni was due to be called up on stage for a mileage award. So was I going to be called to the stage, but I didn't know I was getting the Knocklein Award but she did, so she insisted I go with her up on stage. I was so hot I just wanted to leave. So during the Doomsburg Flame Cars I was in row 1 of the stands. All I can say is ouch!

Last edited:
Hah - yes, I remember it being hotter than a K75 gas tank in rush hour traffic on the 14th St. Bridge in August!

Now if I could just track down an F800GT oem tank bag and top case (and NAV V with cradle, but that might be asking too much ;-)

I arrive in California at the end of next week!

Back