• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brightest halogen headlights

scottfischer

I have read numerous threads about headlight bulbs and and watched countless youtube videos, and I am just thoroughly confused. I would rather stick with halogens instead of LED's because of the possible problems with the canbus system. I dont really care if they look yellow or white to oncoming traffic. I just want the brightest bulbs to help me be able to see better if I end up out at night. Does anyone have the definitive answer for this? I am seeing lots of good things about the Phillips X-TremeVision 130 (I think).

This is for my 2016 RT.

When you're in a parts store or the auto section of a big box store the different H7 bulbs are usually arranged by brightness.
The price goes up and the bulb life gets shorter as the bulbs get brighter.
Bulb like is usually marked on the package.

I don't know what you have seen or heard but I've been using this LED H7 https://stores.advmonster.com/headlight-replacement/ in my 14R1200RT for years and about 35,000 sMiles. Never a cambus issue, the pattern is great as is the light. No error codes either.

When I look in the manual, it looks like there are 2 of the H1 bulbs and 1 of the H7 ? Are you running those advmonster bulbs in all 3 positions?
Someone else told me that all 3 bulbs are supposed to be H7?

I run the Cyclops LED setup on my 2016 and I haven't had any CANBUS issues. Just bright white light for tens of thousands of miles.

Welcome to the forum scottfischer :wave

My new to me GSA came with one of the mentioned kits. I have driving lights for the occasional night rides tied to my hi-beam circuit on a few bikes as well as the GSA. Realized quickly the regular headlights now are blinding to others even on low beam. Not an issue as I’m typically off the road after dark and not commuting or LDR’ng through the night anymore.
Some don’t care , I’m in the camp of trying not to cause issues for others. Yes, I want the candlepower but don’t want to be that guy either. I have been stopped for using my aftermarkets in small towns... bored junior LEO’s!

So many new vehicles are too bright coming my way nowadays and I cuss a few. I have installed many of these for folks and a few failures of bulbs or module. I will prob revert to stock at some point on this bike.
Off my soapbox :wave

Welcome to the forum scottfischer :wave

My new to me GSA came with one of the mentioned kits. I have driving lights for the occasional night rides tied to my hi-beam circuit on a few bikes as well as the GSA. Realized quickly the regular headlights now are blinding to others even on low beam. Not an issue as I’m typically off the road after dark and not commuting or LDR’ng through the night anymore.
Some don’t care , I’m in the camp of trying not to cause issues for others. Yes, I want the candlepower but don’t want to be that guy either. I have been stopped for using my aftermarkets in small towns... bored junior LEO’s!

So many new vehicles are too bright coming my way nowadays and I cuss a few. I have installed many of these for folks and a few failures of bulbs or module. I will prob revert to stock at some point on this bike.
Off my soapbox :wave

If your headlight has a height setting, are you sure its set properly for one rider instead of two? Asking because having that on the wrong setting is a good way to blind other drivers regardless of which type of bulb you're using.

Just a thought...

When I look in the manual, it looks like there are 2 of the H1 bulbs and 1 of the H7 ? Are you running those advmonster bulbs in all 3 positions?
Someone else told me that all 3 bulbs are supposed to be H7?

You're correct the 2 H1 bulbs are high beam and the one H7 is low (it's the center bulb). I only replaced the H7 since I avoid riding at night.

Back