• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bridge collapse on route 95 In Philadelphia- 6-11-23

That might affect some riders returning from the rally who live in North East.

That might affect some riders returning from the rally who live in North East.

Yeah, hopefully the receive some sort of notification on this. During perfect times, route 95 is horrible.

This will take months to be repaired.

OM

Philly Altetnatives

For travelers heading past Philly to points further north, I'd suggest looking for I-295 after leaving the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I-295 avoids the area of the collapse, and carries traffic into Northern NJ. It's easy to get over to the NJ Turnpike once away from the Delaware River.

That's a bummer.

This will take months to be repaired.

OM

On April 29, 2007, a similar thing happened in the MacArthur Maze (four highway's converging) in the San Francisco Bay Area. Caltrans predicted it would be months before it would be rebuilt. However, things were expediated and a contactors familiar with rebuilding freeways was hired and it the section was reopened on May 7, 2007. I hope Pennsylvania acts in a similar fashion.

For travelers heading past Philly to points further north, I'd suggest looking for I-295 after leaving the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I-295 avoids the area of the collapse, and carries traffic into Northern NJ. It's easy to get over to the NJ Turnpike once away from the Delaware River.

Google Maps now shows I-95 closed in the area of the fire and routes you to I-295.

That's a bummer.

On April 29, 2007, a similar thing happened in the MacArthur Maze (four highway's converging) in the San Francisco Bay Area. Caltrans predicted it would be months before it would be rebuilt. However, things were expediated and a contactors familiar with rebuilding freeways was hired and it the section was reopened on May 7, 2007. I hope Pennsylvania acts in a similar fashion.

Are you saying in like 10 days? I’m sure it will try to be expedited but sounds optimistic.

OM

Are you saying in like 10 days? I’m sure it will try to be expedited but sounds optimistic.

OM

I misread the information. While a portion of the maze was reopened, but it was not the collapsed portion. The collapsed portion was reopened on May 24, which is still pretty amazing that it got done as quickly as it did. The process was expediated in many ways, since everyone wanted the section opened ASAP. The state waved any plan approvals, etc., and the plans from the original construction were "dusted off" and used. It was reconstructed as it was originally designed decades ago. The contractor was given incentives to complete early depending on which day it was completed. They worked 24/7 to complete the rebuild. I think what helped in choosing the right contractor was that they had recently rebuilt portions of the LA freeways that were damaged in an earthquake. While 10 days is probably not reasonable for the I-95 rebuild, there are ways that the rebuild could be expedited.

I misread the information. While a portion of the maze was reopened, but it was not the collapsed portion. The collapsed portion was reopened on May 24, which is still pretty amazing that it got done as quickly as it did. The process was expediated in many ways, since everyone wanted the section opened ASAP. The state waved any plan approvals, etc., and the plans from the original construction were "dusted off" and used. It was reconstructed as it was originally designed decades ago. The contractor was given incentives to complete early depending on which day it was completed. They worked 24/7 to complete the rebuild. I think what helped in choosing the right contractor was that they had recently rebuilt portions of the LA freeways that were damaged in an earthquake. While 10 days is probably not reasonable for the I-95 rebuild, there are ways that the rebuild could be expedited.

They need to figure and build a short-term bypass around that bridge; down a ramp, up a ramp, etc. Trying to use local streets will be an accident-prone disaster. Lay some asphalt, put up some signs, and then get new bridges built by October.!

Watch a livestream of the repair work

<iframe width="800" height="374" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kNPxJU7LZcs" title="Watch live: Construction crews race to repair the I-95 collapse near Philadelphia" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From USAToday

Pennsylvania officials said there was no timeline yet for reopening seven miles of I-95 closed by the fire – but repairs are anticipated to take months.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...BlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

The short-term plan is to completely fill in the space under the former I-95 overpass with a very substantial sand. Once filled and in place they'll pave a road over the sand filler. In the interim, they'll begin construction of the new pieces of the roadway off-site, and at some future date move them into place. After that, sand comes out, road reopens and all is well.

Side-note: They liken the filler sand (which comes from Delaware) to be very substantial and similar to sand used as a component in glass production.

Here's a description of the process:

After a tanker fire and bridge collapse in Philadelphia shut down portions of I-95 near Cottman Avenue, officials announced plans to create a temporary roadway using innovative materials.

In a press conference, Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro announced Wednesday that temporary lanes will be constructed on I-95 near the accident site. A backfill mix will be used to fill in the gap before being paved over, opening the roadway again while a permanent bridge is constructed around it.

The special backfill mix will be brought in by Aero Aggregates, a company located 25 miles away from the collapse in Eddystone in Delaware County.

Here's a description of the sand/glass material:

The material in the special fill is known as Ultra-Lightweight Foamed Glass Aggregate and is made from recycled glass baked at high heat with a special foam, creating a material similar to rock.

Aero Aggregates anticipates shipping nearly 20,000 cubic yards of the material to the collapse site, which will then be layered between metal caging on the roughly 100-foot-long accident site before being paved over to create six lanes for drivers.

Buckley & Company, a Philadelphia-based contractor that previously rebuilt a section of I-95 in Port Richmond in 1996 following an arson incident, will spearhead the reconstruction using UL-FGA, officials said.

Here's a description of why they're using it:

UL-FGA is known for being durable, lightweight and staying in place, qualities that are needed to prevent the road from sinking, according to officials.

If a heavier material is used, the additional weight on the soft soil beneath the structure could cause problems.

This material is reported to be in use across the state already, having bolstered the tarmac at the Philadelphia International Airport.

I’m not familiar with UL-FGA. A little looking around makes me think this may be a really big test of the product.
At first blush, I would think an instant benefit would be the 25 mile, comparatively short haul trip time.
Closest thing I have seen is a lightweight aggregate that was once produced locally by cooking rock that ended up looking like the rocks in a gas grill.

No Bailey Bridges around? :p

OM

Thanks. I wondered if maybe my post bordered on "Too Much Information," but I tend to think BMW MOA folks are detail-oriented, so I guess it's OK.

No I find it interesting. It's a product I'm not familiar with.

Watch a livestream of the repair work

<iframe width="800" height="374" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kNPxJU7LZcs" title="Watch live: Construction crews race to repair the I-95 collapse near Philadelphia" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From USAToday

Pennsylvania officials said there was no timeline yet for reopening seven miles of I-95 closed by the fire – but repairs are anticipated to take months.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...BlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

Wish the video quality was better.
Several years ago I watched the livestream of the emergency bridge construction at Kingsland Texas.

Back