• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

bosch starter issues and recommendations

typ181r90

Superkraut
It looks like the original Bosch starter in my R90/6 finally bit the dust. Seemingly out of nowhere the bike wouldn't start, it would crank really slowly and difficultly like it was a weak battery. I thought the 2-year old Odyssey may have been the issue and replaced it with the same results, then proceeded to check the ground, relay, and all connections which all seem fine. Figured I'd pull the starter since the next likely culprit would be the bushings and when I pulled it to investigate I noticed this wear/pitting on the bendix drive.

IMG_20140324_135534_425.jpg

It doesn't look like EME has 8-tooth drives anymore, and since this isn't even related to the bushing issue I was trying to check in the first place, the costs of rebuilding may approach the costs of buying new. What do people generally recommend now as far and rebuilding or replacing? Oak just said in this month's airmail that Valeo starters are junk, the Enduralast is essentially a Taiwanese copy of the Valeo, and I've heard mix reviews of the Nippondenso starter.

Honestly, I'd rather just go with a rebuild from Motorrad Elektrik, but would like to hear some other people's experiences.

Attachments

• IMG_20140324_135534_425.jpg
    IMG_20140324_135534_425.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 196
Fwiw - you can rebuild the Bosch. Interesting In that Oak doesn't like the Valeo, but I think some of the guru's on airheads@micapeak like them. (Search the archives to be 100% sure)

Fwiw - you can rebuild the Bosch. Interesting In that Oak doesn't like the Valeo, but I think some of the guru's on airheads@micapeak like them. (Search the archives to be 100% sure)

Oak may have been referring to the stock ones in the 80's bikes and not necessarily a replacement, either way he said to replace with Bosch. I'm really opting to just go with a rebuild, unless people are totally blown away by the other aftermarket options.

Did you check snobum's pages? I think I remember reading that he was a rebuild fan but it's been a long time so don't quote me on it.

A buddy of mine runs a Nippon-Denso on his R90S with no complaints in the three years he's had it. It's a monster too when it comes to spinning that engine, it doesn' even sound like a BMW turning over. It's lighter than the OEM too.

I had a local "starter/generator" shop rebuild my Bosch; it ran about $50 I think it was. The increase in performance was not that satisfying.

You may also want to check your regulator output. I found that mine was only delivering about 12.7 volts. When I replaced the ancient regulator, and got the voltage up in the 13.7-14.1 range, my starter took on a whole new life. No balky starting problems since.

A buddy of mine runs a Nippon-Denso on his R90S with no complaints in the three years he's had it. It's a monster too when it comes to spinning that engine, it doesn' even sound like a BMW turning over. It's lighter than the OEM too.

I had a local "starter/generator" shop rebuild my Bosch; it ran about $50 I think it was. The increase in performance was not that satisfying.

You may also want to check your regulator output. I found that mine was only delivering about 12.7 volts. When I replaced the ancient regulator, and got the voltage up in the 13.7-14.1 range, my starter took on a whole new life. No balky starting problems since.

Funny you mention that, I was actually planning on replacing the starter relay and voltage regulator as I have both sitting on my shelf and currently have everything apart for easy access.

Bosh Starters are usually rebuildable and last a long time and take much abuse BUT THEY PUT MUCH MORE DEMAND ON BATTERY during cranking than more modern replacements

For a /2/5 conversion with good Bosh but small battery I had been fighting with for years I finally went with the Nip from Vech last summer

Slight modification of the nose casting was necessary for very early /5 flywheel (no flat on bottom of nose) but I am very satisfied with the starter - cranks like a champ even with less than perfect 3yr old Walmart 10LA2 battery

No longer necessary to start the bike cold with the kickstarter

Only a few thousand miles on new starter but I am happy so far

If you confirm the starter is the problem
and
If it is your bike to ride and money is not the only consideration I suggest go with the new Nip starter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.benchmarkworks.com

12 41 1 357 500R--$350.00--Nippondenso replacement starter 8 tooth 1970-1976
12 41 2 306 700R--$350.00--Nippondenso replacement starter 9 tooth 1977-1995

Lots of positive feedback on the price/performance of the EME Enduralast starters. What makes you say that the 8 tooth is not available?

Barron

Lots of positive feedback on the price/performance of the EME Enduralast starters. What makes you say that the 8 tooth is not available?

Barron

As a rebuild part for the Bosch, not as a new starter. Apparently the bendix drive for a 75 /6 is a one year part and super rare. I called Rick at Motorrad Elektrik and I think I'm going to go the rebuild route, he doesn't seem to think that the bendix wear is anything to worry about. I'll see how it works.

Just wanted to give an update. I wound up going with a rebuild from ME since Oak recommended the Bosch over the Valeo and my 57 R60 project has been eating up the "extra" $$$s I have laying around that would have went to purchasing a new Nippon Denso starter.

It came in today and I'm blown away by it. I can safely say my starter must have never been working optimally as now it whirs like a turbine engine - which I don't remember it ever doing in my ownership of this bike.

I wish the 75 bikes still had kickstarters (or the 74s had good kickstarters so I could swap the trans) as that would have at least kept my bike in action. In the couple weeks it sat idle I was using my 67 Aermacchi (kickstart only) as a daily ride and marveling at the fact that this is probably the first time in history than a vintage Italian bike was more reliable than anything German built.

I think you will be happy enough with the Bosch. About 5 years ago i also had mine rebuilt by ME and it has worked really well. But, back then they didn't have the lighter, cheaper, less current draw alternatives we've got today. In 30 years, when the Bosch is due for another rebuild, i'll probably try something different.

Barron

Enduralast Starter

When the Bosch starter on my /7 wore out a few years back, I took it to a local starter shop to price a rebuild, and weighed it against the Nippondenso and Enduralast starter. I ended up going with the Enduralast starter. I don't think it cranks the engine much faster than the old Bosch did in its better years, but it is much smaller and lighter than the Bosch. I believe the draw on the battery is less than the old Bosch as well. In any event, it has been plenty dependable over the past two years or so that I've been using it- I would not hesitate to buy another.

Back