• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Roadside assistance causes chaos & $$$$$$

Sigh, I have to say it. Why would you have bike towed for a flat, when it was in your garage??????

On the road in the middle of nowhere, when you have a large slit that you cannot plug, I understand. Just because it is free doesn't make it smart.

Really! a benefit that tI am entitled to no matter where it is, i had tire insurance and had to have the dealer look into it! Nothing to do w smart it is the process that I have paid for. Yeah I'm to blame because some monkey has got a clue what is job is or could care less about. right!

I'm not saying you have to wrestle with a K1600, but it is unfortunately a fact of life that towing a motorcycle should always be a last resort. Waay too many tow guys just don't know how to do it right, or think they know a better way, or some are just ignorant. I owned a towing business many years ago and prided myself in getting it right, but it takes time, patience, and some knowledge to do it right. You need all 3. Two out of three is still not good enough. Too many guys are in a big big hurry because they're already late for their next tow job, or, since this bike tow is not due to a crash, so there's no chance of the body shop part of their business making some $$$, so they want to rush and get rid of the bike as fast as they can.

+1

Really! a benefit that tI am entitled to no matter where it is, i had tire insurance and had to have the dealer look into it! Nothing to do w smart it is the process that I have paid for. Yeah I'm to blame because some monkey has got a clue what is job is or could care less about. right!

Not blaming you, but as evident by your own experience, I stand by my statement that just because it is free, doesn't make it prudent.

A $3 plug kit and a bicycle pump, or a can of fix-a-flat from the corner gas station could have saved you a bunch of agony. The weight of the bike is irreverent, scooter or 200 ton earth mover, plugging a tire is the same process.

Last edited:
As I see it, BMW provided service to the customer and sublet the work to the towing company. BMW is liable for all damages and it is up to BMW to get reimbursement from the towing company. The o/p has a contract with BMW. It is perfectly reasonable in my opinion to expect that a company offering towing services for motorcycles would be able to transport motorcycles without damaging them. I would also insist that both handlebars be replaced as BMW states that the motorcycle is not to be secured in this manner. Ask if anyone is willing to offer a written guarantee that the other handlebar will never fail due to being stressed in this way.

I would also have hundreds of digital images of the motorcycle and a statement from the dealer and the towing company that the bike suffered cosmetic damage while being transported and was not involved in a crash. This should ease the worries of a future buyer.

As I see it, BMW provided service to the customer and sublet the work to the towing company. BMW is liable for all damages and it is up to BMW to get reimbursement from the towing company. The o/p has a contract with BMW. It is perfectly reasonable in my opinion to expect that a company offering towing services for motorcycles would be able to transport motorcycles without damaging them. I would also insist that both handlebars be replaced as BMW states that the motorcycle is not to be secured in this manner. Ask if anyone is willing to offer a written guarantee that the other handlebar will never fail due to being stressed in this way.

Sorry that isn't the way it works, AAA, AARP, AMA, Ford, Mercedes, and every other company that offers roadside assistance use independent contractors, and in no way are responsible for the damage.The "contract" or Roadside assistance book clearly states it is handled by a 3rd party company, and clearly has a disclaimer that puts any liability on the service provider, NOT BMW.

To expect every manufacturer or organization to be able to fully vet, an then continually monitor them is absurd.

You don't have a contract with BMW for towing. BMW offers to connect you with towing. You have an agreement with whatever towing company shows up. If you don't like the looks of things you can say- "Stop."

If I tell you that my neighbor has a clean looking K75 for sale and you look at it and buy it and it turns out to be a royal headache, what are you going to do, sue me?

Hmm? When reading this thread the lyrics from a Dire Straits song popped into my head...
"That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and chicks for free
Now that ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya, them guys ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb"
:dance

what are you going to do, sue me?

And that, sad to say, is how disagreements like this get settled in the U.S. of A. these days. Good luck throwing money at a giant international corporation. Sometimes your only feasible recourse in an ugly situation like this is to not deal with the offending (in your opinion) party in the future.

You don't have a contract with BMW for towing. BMW offers to connect you with towing. You have an agreement with whatever towing company shows up. If you don't like the looks of things you can say- "Stop."

If I tell you that my neighbor has a clean looking K75 for sale and you look at it and buy it and it turns out to be a royal headache, what are you going to do, sue me?

It's not that casual of a relationship. BMW also sells the same service. I doubt the conditions are different. They do more than just facilitate as they pay the tow driver and as such there's consideration there, just as there is in buying a BMW motorcycle and part of that consideration is that it comes with roadside.

....{snip} The dispatcher called me to get details and since I wasn't home my wife would be there to open the garage for access. The dispatcher after some instructions from myself to be careful assured me I was in good hands and that she will send an experienced driver!{snip}....

.....{snip} If you don't like the looks of things you can say- "Stop."{snip}......

As much as we would all like to think we don't have to pay close attention to this type of thing- we really do. One time my motorhome need a tow (long story).
The tow truck operator's first look was to lift it from the rear. Lifting from the rear is a lot easier cuz you don't have to disconnect the driveshaft etc.
I said "you know this has frame extensions", he said "oh ya, I know". That brought him around to the lift from the front.
I did tip the driver $50.00 and asked him to take care of my rig. Being there and a tip does make a difference.
YMMV
OM

After (at least) 2 of the exact same threads and multiple responses I guess you will never understand what people are trying to suggest to you.........and help you possibly avoid a similar outcome in the future, when you don't need to unnecessary expose yourself to such a risk.
Just where is anyone blaming you for the damage? ..... people are trying to help suggest an alternative to a high risk option.

Go ahead, use your "entitled benefit" Roadside Assistance for everything and have the tow outfit pick up your bike next time for an oil change.........we'll look forward to your next thread on the subject. ;)

Sure!

"If I tell you that my neighbor has a clean looking K75 for sale and you look at it and buy it and it turns out to be a royal headache, what are you going to do, sue me?"

If you SOLD me the service of evaluating the bike, you would be liable for doing a poor job. Not the same as a non commercial transaction.

OK, I looked up the Roadside Assistance Plan...

From pages of the plan-

"This is not an insurance contract. This is not a service contract and does not comply with any financial responsibility laws.

Dear BMW Rider:
Welcome to the BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance Plan. You are now entitled to many fine benefits and services, which are provided to you by the Cross Country Motor Club (CCMC).

12. The Emergency Towing, Road Service and/or Lockout Service will be performed by independent service providers for whose actions neither CCMC nor BMW shall be liable.

13. In no event shall CCMC or BMW be liable to you for any indirect, special or consequential damages that you may incur in connection with this Plan. "

Threads on these forums often turn into school yard shoving matches. So glad to see that this one is no exception. In some states BMW's disclaimer of liability is worthless.

I see no shoving:dunno Just some cold hard facts and experiences.
Why is a disclaimer not valid in some states...which states?

Roadside Service sent a sedan with a tiny plywood floored flatbed single trailer to pick up my bro-in-laws new R12R up in N.Carolina. I was his wingman and chuckled at the set-up. He was approved thru some process and did the job to satisfaction.

Have had rescued bikes dropped here with various roadside plans on rollbacks and often issues with how they loaded it...it's on the tow operator, that's why they are insured. Suggest pics before you say goodbye.

AND a reminder to those who tie their bikes down by the handlebars...don't! Don't care if it worked on your other models or you have just been lucky...bad practice. Don't let the tow operator do it either!

Threads on these forums often turn into school yard shoving matches. So glad to see that this one is no exception. In some states BMW's disclaimer of liability is worthless.

Yes, in most states that disclaimer would not shield BMW if BMW was found to have been guilty of gross negligence. Good luck on that one in this case. The tow operator maybe. BMW by contracting with Cross Country? Not a chance. Cross Country by hiring this tow company? Maybe but that would depend on his/her towing record. The tow operator? Maybe negligence, maybe even gross negligence but I personally doubt it.

Sometimes people screw up.

Folks, what is the OP trying to get, compensation for a bike being worth less after repairs have been done and paid for by insurance. Has anyone ever heard of that? Not me.

Back