• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Navigator V BATTERY

The BMW Navigator V is a matter of two screws and off comes the cover...30 seconds.

I just called Garmin today and guess what, the batteries are back-ordered and I have to wonder why. Not that I need it till next April.

So when I get the new one, I'll fully charge it and then remove the battery from my Navigator V and just let it sit for a month or two before the riding season starts. That'll tell me if it is self-discharging without being connected to anything, be it the battery itself or the circuit board part of the battery pack that was poorly designed.

Dave, if you followed my post above, Li-Ion batteries last a long time and pretty well maintain their capacity, but then they are single cell packs and easier to control for a long life.

If you have the part # off the battery unit, try to match it from someplace like BatteryMart.com. I've had good luck finding batteries for my other GARMIN units (I have 4 other units, all different models) from them. Good prices, comparatively speaking.

If you have the part # off the battery unit, try to match it from someplace like BatteryMart.com.

Tried both numbers: 010-11274-22 and 361-00063-00 and no go on Google as well. Lots of the 3.7V batteries though.

I'll just get it from Garmin next year.

The test I'll do will confirm if battery charge depletion is a battery pack issue or an issue with the Nav 5 unit.

Same here, my Nav 5 when stored in the cradle might be blank till I am on the road for 15 or so minutes till it charges up.

I'm going with nav battery. I don't leave mine in the cradle and after a full charge in the house, is very low in 3 weeks shut down properly. Little disappointing where the nav4 battery stays charged for months [ also off the cradle ].

Well being a "user", I have to agree.

My idea of planning a route: pick a Start Point and an End Point and let the program generate a route based on route options from a pull down menu, and if you do not like the route in between, pull the route down to another road...a-la-Google Maps.

Real easy!

This isn't really on the original topic, but I'll chime in anyway. What you describe is exactly how I create routes in Basecamp. Set my profile, choose a start point, choose and end point, then see what it comes up with. Add shaping points to make the route hit the spots I want it to. Send it to my Nav V. Done.

Judicious use of shaping points is critical. Even with the same map version loaded into my computer and my Nav V, sometimes the Nav V wants to navigate me on a slightly different route.

Anyway, this is the factory battery. Note the date code of 2016-03-07 for a BMW Navigator V bought in July of 2016.
View attachment 82088

FYI...
And this is the replacement battery installed in February 2021 with a date code of 2020-05-13.
BMW Navigator V Battery - 2020-05-13.jpg

Back