• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bench Racing: MotoGP 2009

mika

Still Wondering
MotoGP

The MotoGP history of Laguna Seca

Laguna Seca Racing Numbers

MotoGP World Championship Standings

Yamaha-motor-europe.com: Fiat Yamaha Team looking to continue domination in Laguna Seca

Motorsport.com ÔÇô US GP Previews:
Bridgestone
Fiat Yamaha
Ducati
Honda
Repsol Honda
Grensini Racing
Parmac

Stoner cautious about chances in United States

Hayden on Laguna ÔÇô WeÔÇÖll go full gas

crash.net: Pedrosa feels capable of ÔÇÿstrong raceÔÇÖ

bbc.co.uk[/url: Injured Kallio will miss US race

motorcyclenews.com: Honda confirms Yuki Takahashi departure

MotoGP comes to Laguna Seca this weekend to contest the eight round of that championship series. American fans celebrating the holiday weekend at Laguna Seca should be in for some good on track fireworks.

Nine points separate the top three riders. The rest of the pack is sixty two points or more behind the podium leaders at this point. On paper that would seem to be a formula for a boring race but for anyone who has followed the season on TV they know the season has produced some great racing.

Fiat Yamaha riders lead with Valentino Rossi currently in first and Jorge Lorenzo in second position in the standings. Casey StonerÔÇÖs Ducati is holding down the third spot in the standings. Dani Pedros, the second Ducati team rider is currently in fifth. However; he has been hampered by injuries in the past and is reported to be fit for this race and could be a factor in upsetting Fiat YamahaÔÇÖs desire to continue its string of 1,2 finishes to a hat trick at Laguna Seca.

When the green flag drops on SundayÔÇÖs race Rossi will set another record if he is on the starting grid. At Assen Rossi joined legendary Giacomo Agostini as the only motorcycle GP riders to score 100 victories. This weekend Rossi will tie Alex Barros for the GP Ironman title of 158 GP starts if he in fact makes the grid in any position. A victory for Rossi would move him one race closer to the 22 victories he needs to tie AgostiniÔÇÖs 122 GP victory record.

To the pleasure of fans the Fiat Yamaha team does not have team orders guarantying Rossi preference. Lorenzo and Rossi have been swapping positions race after race. This weekend should be no different. While Rossi took the victory last year Lorenzo exited the race by crashing. But that was last year and he was in a very different point in his career development. His performance going into this race weekend should have him confident to compete.

Ducati has taken a back seat to the recent Yamaha show. Stoner has been ill for the last two races. While he has been able to race his performance has not been up to snuff. Hopefully he will be back in form. Pedrosa has been dealing with a hip injury that has severely hindered his riding. Reports have him confident he is in shape for this race. The Ducati has been a contender when the riders are fit.

Good racing is in store for this holiday weekend.

TV schedule

Anyone know when the Laguna Seca MotoGP race will be televised? It does not appear that SPEEDTV will show it. Thanks

MotoGP

Slow start for Hayden on West Coast

Edwards with suspension issues to resolve

Pedrosa fourth as he reacquaints himself with Laguna

autosport.com: Hayden hampered by poor acccelaration

bridgestonemotorsport.com: Friday practice report

autosport.com: Rossi says Yamaha can go even faster

autosport.com: Illness strikes Stoner again in practice

speedtv.comL Demanding day for Ducati duo

rizla-suzuki-motogp.com: Crash costs Vermeulen valuable set-up time

motorcyclenews.com: James Toseland not worried by lowly 13th

Motorsport.com ÔÇô Friday practice reports:
Fiat Yamaha
Tech 3 Yamaha
Ducati
LCR Honda
Rizla Suzuki
Parmac Racing

MotoGP

Crashes for Lorenzo as he takes Laguna pole

Classification

autowsport.com: Lorenzo takes pole then crashes

Saturday Pre Qualifying

Late Lorenzo tops timesheet in first Saturday run

Results Saturday Free Practice

Video:Burgess looks at Yamaha MI
Crew Chief Jeremy Burgess answers questions about the Valentino RossiÔÇÖs 2009 bike

Video:Rossi gives a Corkscrew guide

autosport.com: Lorenzo leads Laguna final practice

crash.net: Mika Kallio to have skin graft

motogpmatters.com: Marco Melandri Interview ÔÇô ÔÇ£My goa is a good bike for 2010ÔÇØ

motogpmatters.com: Ben Spies ÔÇô World Superbikes in 2010, MotoGP in 2011?

Friday Leftovers :eat

motogpmatters.com: Friday photos from Laguna

bbc.co.uk: Matt RobertsÔÇÖ Laguna practice report

MotoGP

Saturday qualifying was full of drama which continues on to this morning. The grid has been set with qualifying times but it will be up to the doctors to see if pole winner Lorenzo will be able to race today.

Jorge Lorenzo took the pole and crashed shortly after. Less than a second separates the top 10 qualifiers with teammate Rossi 0.167 and Casey Stoner on his Ducati 0.232 adrift of the pole time.

Lorenzo crashed twice in qualifying. The first a low side get off that allowed him to continue on to win the pole position. The second crash, a high side get off, had Lorenzo carried away to the track clinic with a separated shoulder. It will be up to track physicians and officials to decide this morning if the Spaniard will be able to race today. SundayÔÇÖs twenty minute MotoGP warm up begins a 9:40 AM Pacific time. We will know then if he past his medical and feels up to riding.

Stoner continues to have medical problems. His mysterious medical condition has flared up again this weekend. A new treatment was begun coming into the race weekend which has had no positive impact and in some reports is described to leave him sicker than before. This problem was compounded by bumps and bruises he suffered in a qualifying crash of his own.

Tires are being blamed for LorenzoÔÇÖs and others crashes. Bridgestone brought a hard compound for the race. Riders complained about problems getting them up to a working temperature and a resulting lack of grip.

The race will be shown on FOX. My listing shows a 5PM eastern show time. Check your local listings.

Lorenzo explains big high side crash

mtorcyclenews.com: Jorge Lorenzo vows to race at Laguna Seca

motorcyclenews.com: Tyres to blame for big crashes says Valentino Rossi

bridgestonemotorsport.com: Round 8 USA GP qualifying report

Motosport.com: US GP Qualifying Reports
Fiat Yamaha
Tech 3 Yamaha
Ducati
Repsol Honda
LCR Honda
Pramac Racing
Rizla Suzuki

motorcyclenews.com: Crash was my fault admits Casey stoner

autosport.com: Hayden concerned about accidents

speedtv.com: Second row sweep for Honda

motogpmatters.com: Saturday Laguna photos

Saturday Leftovers :eat

teamteach3.fr: Edwards to start home challenge from third row

rizala-suzuki-motogp.com: Bruised Vermeulen battles to the third row

Great Stuff - can't wait for 5pm EST

Thanks! Looking forward to the race later today. Don't see how it can top last year's MotoGP races for the ages but we'll see.

Pity about Lorenzo crashing. Guess a major difference between a legend like Rossi and superb talents like Lorenzo and Pedrosa is Rossi is learning to keep on the safe side of the razor edge. Stoner seemed to have learnt that after his first year in MotoGP. I cringe everytime Pedrosa crashes. Little guy is amazing riding so hard hurt. Maybe nuts too ... but that's what makes them what they are.

Go ROSSI!!

MotoGP

Lorenzo was slower in Sunday MotoGP warm ups but back on the track. Stoner led the warm up session times with Rossi, Pedrosa, Edwards and Lorenzo following in that order.

Warm up Results

Is it race time yet dad, huh is it, huh is it? Can't wait myself. :lurk

I watched qualifying last night and saw both high-sides, each was extremely violent and similar in that the bikes virtually spun 180 degrees out before launching their riders. Ugly. Hopefully, they "get a grip" for the race shortly.

Dani Pedrosa on his Repsol Honda took the early lead from the pole. In the early laps Rossi first then Stoner dueled for the second position. Jorge Lorenzo had a slow start from pole was slow off the mark and found himself having to work back to 5th position.

TalmacsiÔÇÖ Scot Racing Team Yamaha was the first rider to loose grip and crashed in turn nine of lap six.

Capirossi was next to suffering problems. After climbing back on his bike he did feel he could continue with the race.

Andrea Dovizioso on a Repsol Honda and running in P5 through his bike off the track next.

On the same lap Sete Gibernau on his Ducati was the last to crash.

With more than 25 laps to go there were four riders out. Tires remain the primary suspect of the problems. Bridgestone supplied a hard single compound tire that did not seem to work with the track at all this weekend. In a starting grid diminished by world economics this year it is a shame to see it further shrunk by tire issues.

21 laps remaining Rossi was able to get around Stoner for P2. Pedrosa continued his charged in the lead with a 2.81 second lead. With 17 laps to go the racing fight was

James Toseland on his Tech3 Monster Yamaha was black flagged with 17 laps to go. Officials said he jumped the start then failed to comply with a pit lane ride through penalty in time and was taken out the race.

12 laps to go and Rossi was building a lead on Stoner. The Ducati rider was having to deal with Jorge Lorenzo and his Fiat Yamaha who had worked his way up to P4. Just before crossing the start finish line to tick the lap count to 11 remaining Lorenzo passed Stoner for P3.

9 laps to go Pedrosa was still holding a 3.12 second lead over Rossi who previously had been gaining. Lorenzo was increasing the gap on Stoner in P4 while reeling in teammate Rossi at the same time.

Dang! According to the clock on my computer the race started about 36 minutes ago but thanks to Fox I think we have only seen 15 minutes of racing. When the live coverage returned from local commercials I was treated to race commentators pitching Major League Baseball. Good Grief, whatÔÇÖs up with that

4 Laps to go Lorenzo ducked pass Rossi for P2 only to run to deep into the corner going wide and Rossi took the position back.

3 laps remain the lead was down to 1.976 seconds.

2 laps to go the gap to the lead was back over 2 seconds.

1 lap to go

Pedrosa
Rossi
Lorenzo
Stoner

Pedrosa was able to hold off Rossi whose last minute charge had him losing the drag race from the last turn to the finish line. Pedrosa and Honda are on the top of the podium with Rossi in P2 and Lorenzo in P3. Stoner in P4 and Nickey Haden in P5. Colin Edwards the other American in the race finished in P7.

Rossi continues to lead the Championship standings after Laguna Seca. Lorenzo and Stoner follow in that order for the remaining podium standings as they stand now. After that the standing shift around.

The race began at the top of the hour and at the top of the following hour my local Fox channel went to paid programming.

Official Race Results

MotoGP :thumb
MotoGP on Fox :sick

I will post a race round up later.

Not a bad race, but other than Pedrosa nearly letting himself get caught off guard by The Doctor, nowhere near as exciting as the past couple, or last year's race at Laguna.

I agree about Fox's coverage, they were barely in time for the start, and it just got worse from there. Speaking to the audience as if we've never seen a motorcycle race before was a really thoughtful thouch. :rolleyes
I'm glad the rest will be back on Speed.

Not a bad race, but other than Pedrosa nearly letting himself get caught off guard by The Doctor, nowhere near as exciting as the past couple, or last year's race at Laguna.

I agree about Fox's coverage, they were barely in time for the start, and it just got worse from there. Speaking to the audience as if we've never seen a motorcycle race before was a really thoughtful thouch. :rolleyes
I'm glad the rest will be back on Speed.

I could not believe that with access to Casey Stoner's back up bike the only thing they could do was explain the massive piece of carbon fiber the announcer was hiding was called a swing arm. GIVE ME A BREAK! I watched the race with my soon to be second grade 'pit crew member'. She looked at me after that and said "that was really dumb wasn't it Mika" On second thought I shouldn't diss the guy, his coverage gave my granddaughter one of the best lines of the race coverage.

MotoGP

US MotoGP Gallery

Pedrosa thankful after tasting victory again

Rossi pleased with 20 important points

Lorenzo: ÔÇ£IÔÇÖd thought that it was all overÔÇØ

Hayden aiming to build on U.S. result

Pedrosa ends Honda win drought in stunning fashion

Race Results

motogpmatters.com: Last corner lunge fails to take win

autosport.com: Pedrosa thanks Honda for its loyalty

autosport.com: Lorenzo shrugs off ÔÇÿterribleÔÇÖ pain

SuperbikePlanet.com reports DornaÔÇÖs tally for the US MotoGP attendance at 46,689. I have not found an official number for 2008 but various sources report the average MotoGP race in Europe drew in the range of 150,000 fans for each race.

I am still fuming five hours after the finish of the commercial show interrupted by infrequent MotoGP racing on Fox. The network that gave us House, a show that for 59 minutes of its hour on air canÔÇÖt find the diagnosis until it magically appears in the 60th minute, has the audacity to discount Casey StonerÔÇÖs medical problems as is inability to deal with the pressure of being the lead Ducati team rider. What utter rubbish.

MotoGP

autosport.com: Yamaha refuses bidding war for Lorenzo

Ben Spies has made it clear his ultimate goal is racing a MotoGP bike. Rossi seems content to stay in 2010 with rumors having him going racing on four wheels in 2011. The duo of Rossi and Lorenzo has left no place in the factory Yamaha team for him. If Lorenzo were to be picked up by another team would this open the door for Spies to move to MotoGP?

Edwards cites front end problems after finishing seventh

Yamaha-motor-europe.com: Sixth double podium for Fiat Yamaha Team after intense Laguna finale

motorcyclenews.com: Black day for James Toseland

motogp.com: Dovizioso provides explanation for second successive crash

motogp.com: Suzuki camp react to difficult weekend

MotoGP

motogp.com: Lorenzo injuries confirmed in Bacelona
Reports have him able to return for the German round.

What will the DOD and Homeland Security think of this?
motogp.com: Bridgestone to consider asymmetrical compounds for 2010 Laguna Seca race
Oops wrong asymmetrical topic for those guys. :blush

Very interesting piece from MotoGPMatters -
motogpmatters.com: Guy Coulon interview No. 2: EdwardsÔÇÖ crew chief talks Moto2 testing and tires

I am still fuming five hours after the finish of the commercial show interrupted by infrequent MotoGP racing on Fox. The network that gave us House, a show that for 59 minutes of its hour on air canÔÇÖt find the diagnosis until it magically appears in the 60th minute, has the audacity to discount Casey StonerÔÇÖs medical problems as is inability to deal with the pressure of being the lead Ducati team rider. What utter rubbish.

One of the (really) downsides to when MotoGP and WSB comes to the US is that means network coverage. They shorten it so much that as soon as the program starts the race begins and they assume everyone is an idiot. I'm glad Greg White explained what a swingarm is. They also don't seem to know the riders very well. The racing's fun to watch, but the announcing makes me long for Jonathan Green - how bad is that?

I'll be at the Indy GP again this year so at least I won't have to watch network coverage.

Back