• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bench Racing: 2009 Formula One Thread

F1 News

Malaysian newspaper The Star is into numerology with its F1 analysis. Within their speculation we find out that Lotus will announce their driver team next week. Villeneuve continues to be high on everyone’s list of names that will be announced.

Jerez is busy with F1 testing as the young guns fire up for testing. BMW Sauber is there to honor its commitments. In Monday’s first round Andy Soucek led the field of F1 hopefuls.

For all the speculation about if and when Hinwil F1 will make its appearance on the grid list preparations for the new season must continue. Currently the news is about drivers. Crash.net has seven drivers in competition for the open slots with de la Rosa and Petrov as the front runners bringing skill and money.

After putting together my brilliant plan in the Rumors Silly Season and More section I checked back with a few web sites for Jerez updates and found the following.

Baguette has been added to the Sauber-Ferrari lineup.

Heidfeld is still confident he will end up with a good ride. Now add a line item in the Silly Season.

Rumors: Silly Season and More

I think Crash has it all wrong.

Sauber-Ferrari will announce Michael Schumacher Nick Heidfeld and a rookie (possibly Petrov) as their drivers for 2010 and in the process secure the teams spot on the grid, secure sponsor dollars in a major way and set their direction for at least the term of the new F1 racing formula. Schumacher will drive in the 2010 season with the intention to transition into the role of team principal in 2011 taking it over from Peter Sauber.

Remember this section is has the word Silly in its title.

- Schumi has been kart racing and still working out to prepare for what?
- Ferrari wants him in a third car but has been rebuffed by other FOTA members so why not put him in a car with a Ferrari engine?
- Peter Sauber has taken back the role as team principal but wants to turn it over to someone else in the future. Schumi wants to stay in F1 the transition from driver to driver/principal to principal could work. It is not unheard of for a Ferrari driver to become a team principal. Gerhard Berger did it without the driving part when he became a principal in the Red Bull/Toro Rosso early years.
- Ecclestone would be overjoyed. He has often said that Schumi’s return would be great for the sport.
- A return like this would lower the expectations on Schumi to be an instant champion while giving Sauber-Ferrari credibility at the same time.
- Nick Heidfeld will be the number two driver bringing continuity for the first season and will assume the role of senior driver in the subsequent seasons.
- The focus for driver testing now is to find a ‘test driver’ who can do that job as he is being seasoned to move up into a full time seat ala the experience of Sebastian Vettel with BMW Sauber F1.

I like it. It gives Hinwil F1’s struggles a happy ending as Sauber-Ferrari, brings back Schumi for me to cheer for and others to hate and gives me a reason to follow F1 again.

Remember you read it here first. :rofl

What do you think?
:lurk

F1 News

autosport.com: Toyota not planning to sell F1 entry

f1sa.com: Prodrive to buy the Renault Formula 1 team
-related-
nytimes.com: Renault to cease building F1 chassis?

formula1.com: Jerez day two ÔÇô Paffett leads younger rivals for McLaren

motorsport-total.com translated: Tion with a solid debut with Renault

:scratch
telegraph.co.uk: Ferrari sign French youngster Jules Bianchi

automoo365.com: What about Heikki?
Kovy had a disastrous ÔÇÖ09 season. Some of it was his fault yet he did suffer inordinately form a poor performing car in the early season and multiple mechanical problems beyond his control.

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Young Driver Day - Day 1
Press Release

Young Driver Days in Jerez.

December 1st ÔÇô 3rd 2009

Day one ÔÇô Tuesday

Weather conditions: sunny and dry

Temperature Air: 4 ÔÇô 19 ??C, Track: 8 ÔÇô 25 ??C

Number of drivers participating: 12 from 9 teams

Fastest lap overall: Andy Soucek (Williams) 1:19.158 min

Circuit length: 4.428 km

Alexander Rossi (US)
Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.09-07 / BMW 86/9
Test kilometres today: 363 (82 laps)
Fastest lap: 1:20.227 min

Programme:
Alexander Rossi and the BMW Sauber F1 Team both enjoyed a smooth test day in Jerez with ideal track conditions. In the morning the 18-year-old from Nevada City, California (USA), focused on familiarising himself with the track and the car. After each stint the driver and engineers exchanged information and talked about their respective impressions. In the afternoon the team made several changes to the carÔÇÖs set-up ÔÇô both aero and mechanical - in order to give Alexander the opportunity to evaluate the changes and get a better feeling for the car. The team was very happy with AlexanderÔÇÖs feedback and how he coped physically with driving an Formula One car. Also the team decided not to send him out with an extra low fuel load.

Alexander Rossi said: ÔÇ£I very much enjoyed this day. It is impressive what the car does, how predictable and precise its reactions are, and how high the overall grip level is. But I have to admit I am also a little bit disappointed because being a racing driver you always want to be the fastest! I think in the afternoon we didnÔÇÖt manage to find the perfect balance. Physically I have to say it was as demanding as I expected it would be. The power steering is a great help compared to GP2, but the g forces obviously are higher.ÔÇØ

What comes next:
Tomorrow, Wednesday, it will be 18 year old Mexican Esteban Gutierrez who will be enjoying his first taste of driving a Formula One car.

Report Young Driver Days Jerez Day 2
Press Release

Day two ÔÇô Wednesday

Weather conditions: dry in the morning, some light drizzle in the afternoon

Temperature Air: 13 ÔÇô 19 ??C, Track: 13 ÔÇô 22 ??C

Number of drivers participating: 12 from 9 teams

Fastest lap overall: Gary Paffett (McLaren Mercedes) 1:18.718 min

Esteban Gutierrez (MX)
Test kilometres today: 301 (68 laps)
Fastest lap: 1:20.190 min

Programme:
To ensure a fair comparison, the BMW Sauber F1 Team today started with the same programme for Esteban Gutierrez as it did yesterday with Alexander Rossi. In the morning Esteban familiarized himself with the car and the track. After the lunch break the team made set-up changes for Esteban to evaluate. The focus was on mechanical set-up changes and the engineers were very happy with the feedback from the 18-year-old driver from Mexico. Due to some light drizzle the afternoonÔÇÖs programme had to be adapted several times, but the track conditions never allowed intermediates or wet tyres to be run as it remained far too dry. The team also stuck to its rule not to send out one of the youngsters with an extra-low fuel load. Unfortunately Esteban had to stop an hour early because of a hydraulic leak.

Esteban Gutierrez said: ÔÇ£It was a very positive day for me. The main idea was to live that experience, to enjoy the day and to learn. This very high professional level means you have to be very calm and use your intelligence. Due to the hydraulic problem in the afternoon I was unable to make use of two more sets of fresh tyres, but on the other hand I had five sets, which of course is more than I ever had before on one day! I really thank the team for this much appreciated opportunity. I learned a lot for the day when I can hopefully jump into a Formula One car again. In the end, with the grip level getting higher, my neck was a bit stiff and it was good to evaluate my own physical condition. The extra training I did paid off.ÔÇØ

What comes next:
Thursday will be the third and final day of Formula OneÔÇÖs joint junior tests. After two youngsters from Formula BMW have been at the wheel of the BMW Sauber F1.09 for the third day, it is the turn of crowned Formula Renault 3.5 series champion Bertrand Baguette from Belgium. As a reward for his 2009 success (5 wins) he already had his first taste of Formula One on Tuesday in Jerez, where he was driving for the Renault F1 Team. Bertrand Baguette was born on 23 February 1986 in Verviers (BE).

crash.net: Jerez test times day 2

Just when I had given him a seat at Sauber-Ferrari Heidfeld comes out and says Mercedes seat would be ÔÇÿdreamÔÇÖ.

motorsport.com: Soucek's sponsors can't afford Campos seat
auto-motor-und-sport.com: Stefan GP does not get Toyota launch

F1 News

Sauber Toyota and Renault have been providing all sorts of news today so here is an update.

autosport.com: Sauber secures 2010 Formula 1 slot
The FIA site has not published this yet but autosport is normally a very reliable news source.

autosport.com: Renault meets to discuss F1 future

blick.ch: Relief in Hinwil! Toyota has officially returned to the Formula 1 grid position for 2010. The BMW team will follow suppl?®ants
-related-
motorsport-aktuell.com: Good opportunities for Sauber

independent.co.uk: Renault debate Formula One future

williamsf1.com: Q&A with Frank Williams.
This follow up to the change in ownership at Williams has been on the back burner to post for some time.

Press Release

FIA Formula One World Championship - BMW Sauber 03/12/2009

The FIA has written to inform BMW Sauber AG that their application for an entry in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship has been successful. Subject to their signing the Concorde Agreement, BMW Sauber will be awarded the 13th entry in the Championship, taking the place of the departing Toyota team.

The FIA has worked closely with the Commercial Rights Holder and the teams involved over recent weeks and is grateful for their support in achieving the best outcome for the sport.

An updated Formula One entry list will be published in due course.

:D

F1 News

bild.de: Schumi & Mercededs ÔÇô There is something
motorsport-total.com: Schumacher in Stuttgart on Monday

reuters.com: Raikkonen switches from Formula One to rally

formula1.com: SauberÔÇÖs 2010 Championship entry secured

autosport.com: BWM delighted over Sauber grid slot

reuters.com: Prodrive linked to Renault F1 team takeover

None of this should be a surprise any more given what was said by Renault in the last few months and the timing of these emergency sessions.
- The genesis of ÔÇÿcrash-gateÔÇÖ was an effort by Briatore to keep Renault from leaving at the end of the 2008 season.
- Renault has indicated that it would stay as an engine supplier.
- It accepted the FIA punishments without protest.
- It began a reorganization of the team and sponsors. While this would be expected it was done in a way that the team remained independent and could be sold.
- All of the emergency board meetings have taken place around the time that Toyota or the FIA took actions related to the Toyota exit. The meetings undoubtedly discussed the implications what Toyota was doing on their plans to sell the team but remain a supplier.

Prodrive was in the original round of new applicants for a F1 grid spot. I was surprised that it along with Lola is not on the grid given some of the teams that have been selected.

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Young Driver Days - Day 3
ÔÇó 03.12.2009
ÔÇó Press Release
Young Driver Days in Jerez.

Day three ÔÇô Thursday

Weather conditions:
sunny and dry in the morning, light rain around lunch time, then sunny and dry again

Temperature Air: 14 ÔÇô 18 ??C, Track: 15 ÔÇô 23 ??C

Number of drivers participating: 16 from 9 teams

Fastest lap overall: Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 1:17.418 min

Bertrand Baguette (BE)
Test kilometres today: 310 km (70 laps)
Fastest lap: 1:19.356 min

Programme:
For the third and final young driver day in Jerez the BMW Sauber F1 Team had a rather more mature driver at the wheel! Bertrand Baguette from Belgium is the 2009 Formula Renault champion, and had already tested the French manufacturerÔÇÖs F1 car last Tuesday at the same track. Despite this the 23-year-old started work with a similar programme to that the youngster who tested on Tuesday and Wednesday had to become familiar with the car. In the afternoon the team let him run aerodynamic tests, including downforce measurements on different configurations. The engineers were very happy with BertrandÔÇÖs feedback and comments, as well as with the useful overall results of the day.

Despite several interruptions because of rain, red flags and mechanical changes to the car, Bertrand managed to get good mileage under his belt today. Just like the other two drivers on Tuesday and Wednesday, Bertrand was not sent out with an extra low fuel load.

At the end of the day a still fresh and chirpy Bertrand Baguette commented: ÔÇ£I am very happy with what we did today. In the morning I was worried because of the weather conditions but, apart from the rain at lunch time, it turned out to be a very nice day and we completed our entire programme. Of course IÔÇÖm also happy that I managed to get in a good lap time on my very last run despite a lot of fuel on board. The balance of the car was very good, I enjoyed the driving a lot. I was able to work with the engineers and want to thank the team for all that I have learned today.ÔÇØ

autosport.com: Renault considering rival bids for team

timesonline.co.uk: Renault set to be taken over by David Richards, chairman of Aston Martin

guardian.co.uk Buyers move in as Renault prepare to sell Formula One team

motorsport-total.com: Tung manager confirms Lopez interest in Renault buyout

auto-motor-und-sport.de: Location remains but 500 must go

f1tecnical.net: Fisichella to Sauber?
Fisichella is in the Ferrari test cockpit for 2010 but could go to another team if he had the chance. Could he team up with Schumi at Sauber-Ferrari?
:ha

More seriously motorsport-total has a wide ranging Q&A with Peter Sauber. On the driver front Sauber is playing his cards close to the vest saying, "I [wonÔÇÖt] mention any names. Only this: I assume that we will compete with an experienced pilot and a junior rider. This mixture there was with us earlier on several occasions, and it is working well for us well."

F1 News

Schumacher comeback speculations continue in Germany. Norbert Haug has not ruled out a place with Rosberg on the Mercedes team for Schumi. He is scheduled to meet with his manager in Stuttgart Monday. Who knows?

Fisichella is creating his own bit of press. He is signed to be the reserve driver for Ferrari after leaving Force India but says he is still looking for a team ride with another team. In the F1 rumor mill the other team that is being talked about more and more is Sauber.

No matter where or if Fisi finds a team ride Silverstone will be one of his stops for the 2010 season. The terms of the deal are expected to be announced tomorrow but an agreement has been reached that will keep the British GP on the schedule and at Silverstone.

Yesterday BMW Motorsport had is annual awards banquet and announced its 2010 cage racing plans.

BMW Motorsport presents 2010 programme: focus on production car racing, continuation of junior promotion.

ÔÇó 05.12.2009
ÔÇó Press Release

Munich, 5th December 2009. Having bid farewell to Formula One, BMW will intensify its involvement in GT and touring car racing in the forthcoming year. The company released details of its 2010 motorsport programme on Saturday at the BMW Sports Trophy Award Ceremony in Munich (DE). The BMW M3 GT2 will see action in selected GT races, primarily the 24-hour classics. The BMW drivers will fight for victories in the FIA World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) and the American Le Mans Series (ALMS), and will be setting their sights on the titles. BMW will continue its successful promotion of young talent in the Formula BMW Europe and Formula BMW Pacific series, which feature on the same bill as Formula One races. Customer racing also remains an important component for BMW Motorsport: a BMW Z4, which complies with GT3 regulations, will be added to the range of products for private teams.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen says: ÔÇ£I am pleased that we are able to offer our fans an attractive motorsport programme in the first year since our withdrawal from Formula One. In production car racing, BMW has enjoyed countless triumphs throughout the course of its long racing history ÔÇô whether with close-to-production touring cars or imposing GT sports cars. We want to follow on from this success in 2010, in both the World Touring Car Championship and the ALMS. In addition, our programme will include works entries at 24-hour classics for the first time since 2005. Promoting junior racing drivers remains an important pillar of our activities: Formula BMW Europe is once again a permanent feature in the general Formula One programme, and we will also be supporting talented youngsters in Formula BMW Pacific as they take their first steps in single-seater racing. Furthermore, we will also expand our customer racing programme, and will be offering a new car in the form of a BMW Z4 that complies with GT3 regulations. In general, we are well positioned to demonstrate the performance of our cars to our customers around the world in 2010.ÔÇØ

BMW will be represented at numerous GT events by its long-term test and development team Schnitzer Motorsport. The focus of this commitment is on the classic 24-hour races. As well as the 24-hour race at the N??rburgring (DE), it is also planned for the BMW M3 GT2 to start in Le Mans (FR) and Spa-Francorchamps (BE). BMW Motorsport is currently in positive discussions with organisers and governing bodies regarding the approval of the car.

In addition, and as preparation for these classics, the programme also includes race starts in the VLN Endurance Championship at the N??rburgring and in the Le Mans Series (LMS). J?Ârg M??ller (DE) and Dirk Werner (DE), who joins the 2010 BMW works drivers line-up, will be the regular drivers for the GT races. Works drivers Andy Priaulx (GB), Augusto Farfus (BR) and Dirk M??ller (DE) will also be involved with the GT programme. Uwe Alzen (DE) and Dirk Adorf (DE) complete the strong squad for the 24-hour race at the N??rburgring.

As last year, the BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team, under the flag of BMW of North America, will send two BMW M3 GT2 cars into battle for the GT2 title in the ALMS. In 2009 Bobby RahalÔÇÖs (US) team celebrated a one-two result at Road America (US) and finished on the podium seven times. Next year the driving quartet will once again consist of Dirk M??ller, Tommy Milner (US), Bill Auberlen (US) and Joey Hand (US).

BMW will be lining up in a different format to previous years in the World Touring Car Championship. Priaulx and Farfus will be battling for points and victories as team-mates. Bart MampaeyÔÇÖs (BE) RBM team will be responsible for the two BMW 320si WTCCs. While Priaulx won three World Championship titles between 2005 and 2007, Farfus was the most successful BMW driver last season with six victories and third place overall. The two drivers have a combined total of 27 victories so far in the World Touring Car Championship.

In past years, Formula BMW has proven to be the ideal springboard into the world of Formula One for many drivers. Last season alone, five former BMW drivers lined up in this series ÔÇô and with great success. Nico Rosberg (DE), Timo Glock (DE), Adrian Sutil (DE) and S?®bastien Buemi (CH) all scored World Championship points. Sebastian Vettel (DE) even celebrated four Grand Prix victories and finished the season as runner-up in the DriversÔÇÖ Championship, behind Jenson Button (GB). Nicolas H??lkenberg (DE) and Bruno Senna (BR) will join the quintet in 2010 as regular F1 drivers. A number of other Formula BMW graduates can also hope to get a taste of Formula One as test and reserve drivers

BMW has bid farewell to F1. The 2010 season news is just about done. Three stories still have my eye. Who will Sauber-Ferrari select as drivers? Will Schumi join Mercedes, Sauber or stay home in 2010? Who will Renault sell the chassis part of their team to? When those are in I will stop regular posting in the 2009 Formula 1 thread.

I would really like to participate in a 2010 F1 discussion in a thread someone else starts but I will not be starting a 2010 F1 thread. BMWÔÇÖs decision to go racing as a team owner instead of just and engine supplier was the impetus to start aggregating F1 news on this forum. I have done that in various forms for four years. BMWÔÇÖs exit provides a good point to stop being an obsessive aggregator and return to being a tifosi.

I will post about the three stories I mentioned until there is a resolution to them or the year ends. After that, if no one starts a 2010 F1 thread, I have no doubt F1 will make an occasional appearance in the the Bench Racing & The Morning Reads thread.

2009 Formula One Thread

Mika,
I want to thank you very much for all of the time and effort you have expended to bring those of us who love F-1 up to date all these years.
Lee

Thanks Lee, it has been a fun obsession. :wave

F1 News

Two stories remain in need of a resolution after the formal announcement that the British GP will stay at Silverstone for the next 17 years at a reported cost of ₤300m.

retures.com: Silverstone signs 17 year British Grand Prix deal

autoport.com: Q&A with Damon Hill

mclaren.com is pleased that Silverstone will continue to host the British GP.

motorsport.com: 17 year deal for the British GP.

Schumi Watch could come to an end today or tomorrow.

auto-moto-und-sport.com: Bernie Ecclestone ÔÇô Schumacher return to F1 would be ÔÇÿmagicalÔÇÖ
But Bernie wouldnÔÇÖt do it if he were Saint Michael

Renault has more bidders than we were led to believe. Ecclestone is hopping for an early resolution to the sale (his comments indicate the sale of the team by Renault is a foregone conclusion) but will probably have to wait for the full Renault board meeting. IIRC that is scheduled for next week.

f1sa.com Bernie Ecclestone ÔÇô Four bidders for Renault F1

motorsport-total.com: Four bidders? Ecclestone is hoping for a early decision

Sauber-Ferrari
The driver selection story is gaining momentum. A multitude of names - including Nick Heidfeld, Jarno Trulli, Heikki Kovalainen, Giancarlo Fisichella, Pedro de la Rosa, Christian Klien, Anthony Davidson and Kamui Kobayashi - have been mentioned. (and in this thread only ÔÇô Michael Schumacher :ha) Fisichella and Heidfeld seem to be the current front runners in various press reports.

Fisichella has several advantages. His presence would strengthen ties with engine supplier Ferrari. He could bring money to the team in the form of help from Ferrari to secure sponsor deals.

The physical dimensions of the primary driver impact some of the carÔÇÖs final design features. This means a decision for the number one seat needs to happen sooner than later to keep the development on schedule. This would seem to put Heidfeld in the lead for the seat.

One down two to go.

F1 News

Monday has come and gone with no news of Michael Schumacher; seriously, no news on Monday and only a couple of stories after that. The press was talking about the Silverstone deal and Renault with no mention of Schumi. Tuesday broke with Haug and SchumiÔÇÖs agent saying there will be no announcement of the second Silver Arrow driver until possibly after Christmas and SchumiÔÇÖs agent still saying he had no clue what the seven time champ would do.

flagworld.com: Haug not promising a driver announcement soon
ÔÇ£We need time and I cannot promise today that the present will be unwrapped before ChristmasÔÇØ

motorsport-total.com: Rosberg about Schumacher

The Renault F1 sale story is churning in the press and blogs but nothing really worth posting. That will be the case until there is a credible leak from Renault or a press release after the upcoming board meeting.

While were waiting there are a couple things that make me wonder.

Tyres or is it Tires in 2010?
formula1.com: Q&A with BridgestoneÔÇÖs Jun Matsuzaki

and

Stefan GP unexpectedly came out of the woodwork, for me at least. It was not one of those household names associated with racing that would seek to ascend to F1 heights. I was surprised when they were linked to a possible acquisition of the Toyota F1 team. When that failed I expected them to go quietly into the night as we waited to find out who would buy Renault. Yet they have been talking with the press saying they expect to make the grid this year or next. Now Stefan GP invites the redundant Toyota staff to join their team.

As interesting as that story is there is the ÔÇÿlost submarine of ToyotaÔÇÖ story out there that no one is picking up.

One of the cable channels (maybe the Hysterical Channel I donÔÇÖt recall) has piece they periodically run called something like ÔÇÿHÔǪÔÇÖs lost submarine.ÔÇÖ It is about a submarine that leaves Germany in the last days of the war carrying untold secrets and is lost at sea.

In the 2009 F1 remake of that story Toyota HQ announces that they are ending their F1 wars. In the closing days of the Toyota F1 base in Cologne a file containing all the designs plans and specifications for the 2010 car is sent out Germany reportedly headed to the US. Serbian forces try to capture the Toyota F1 base but fail to do so and it is declared a DMZ to be dismantled and turned to peaceful purposes (at least in F1 terms).

Yet that secret file is out there somewhere. Did it make it to the US and the hands of USF1? Is it in some other shop? If the guys at SpeedTV wonÔÇÖt track down the story would someone please call the Hysterical Channel to get them on the story?
:lurk

Formula 1 News

Press Release
F1 Commission
10/12/2009
The FIA today hosted the first meeting of the F1 Commission in its new structure since the signing of the 2009 Concorde Agreement. Chaired by Commission President Bernie Ecclestone and with FIA President Jean Todt in attendance, the F1 Commission is made up of key championship stakeholders from F1 teams, promoters, suppliers and sponsors.

The F1 Commission agreed that the Brawn team will be allowed to change its chassis name from Brawn to Mercedes. The team will continue to receive payments based on its historical performance. This has been granted on a one-off exceptional basis due to Mercedes-Benz’s long-term involvement and commitment to Formula One.

The F1 Commission also proposed a number of amendments to the sporting and technical regulations, which will be put to the FIA World Motor Sport Council for final approval tomorrow morning. They include:

- Due to the expanded grid of 13 teams, a new points system for the 2010 season:

1st - 25
2nd - 20
3rd - 15
4th - 10
5th - 8
6th - 6
7th - 5
8th - 3
9th - 2
10th -1

- A strong mandate has been given to the Sporting Working Group, a sub-committee of the F1 Commission made up of the FIA and F1 teams, to develop detailed proposals to improve the show. These will take effect from the 2010 championship.

- The FIA and FOM will further collaborate to enhance the communication and promotion of the championship to the media and its worldwide fanbase.

The next meeting of the Formula One Commission will be held on 10 March in Bahrain.

Interesting.

bbc.co.uk: Renault to remain in F1 according to this intersting article. This is consistent with the speculation to date that the chassis side of the team would be sold and Renualt would stay as an engine supplier.

F1 News

crash.net: Heidfeld in promising talks for 2010
Heidfeld was mentioned in contention for the second seat at McLaren that went to Jenson Button. He is a logical choice to continue as Peter Sauber’s senior driver in the experienced/rookie driver combination. That is where I expect him to end up; however, he is seen as the number 2 choice for the Mercedes GP seat. After…

bbc.co.uk: Schumacher return looking increasingly likely

People may question Schumacher’s ability to truly compete in the sport at age 40 after a long lay off but no one is questioning the his ability to electrify the sport and bring in sponsor revenue for anyone remotely connected to F1; but at what cost?

For Mercedes GP the price is reported to be €7 million to put the German in the cockpit. He may be a seven time world champion but the key point for Mercedes GP on Schumacher’s CV appears to be his German nationality. The rest of his CV makes it easier for the Silver Arrow team to off set or rationalize the expense.

The question that is unanswered is what the cost is for Schumacher himself.

Schumacher paid a price for retiring. He is a racing junkie. Reports say that he has had difficulty in adjusting to life without the drug of racing. Racing motorcycles helped him deal with his ‘habit’. Yet for the seven time champion motorcycle racing has been what methadone is to heroin junkies; a way to manage their addiction but it’s not the same thing as horse. Horse is one of the slang terms for heroin and provides a transition to the price he will pay at the Prancing Horse.

Tifosi will be torn. That is one price but Schumi is accustomed to being inordinately loved while being vehemently hated at the same time. He may well see this as a zero sum gain in terms of change.

The price at Ferrari will be more complicated. Despite the speculation that he can race without violating his contract with them this may be too much for Ferrari to bear for implications off the track rather than on. Mercedes is moving into competition with Ferrari in the car market with its new supercar. That competition makes the race for the turn 1 lead at any GP seem like a Sunday church social. I sincerely hope he calculates the cost at Ferrari v the value of a one year deal with Mercedes GP carefully.

Mine remains the best solution.

Mercedes GP should sign Nick Heidfeld. They would have a good if not great German driver.

Ferrari and Sauber-Ferrari should put their heads together and get Saint Michael to sign with the Swiss team. This would be the neutral choice for all. I keep waiting for them to contact me to broker the deal.

Bild.de claims only a signature is needed and Schumacher will be in a Silver car for 2010. They expect the announcement to come next week. Scuderia Ferrari has, according to this report, removed any obstacles that would hinder the 7 time championÔÇÖs return.

Damon HillÔÇÖs assessment is "If I can win a race when I was 37 in a Jordan, then Michael can definitely win a race in a Ross Brawn car at 41."

Rosberg, already signed by Mercedes GP, has said he would welcome Schumi. Yet he has to seriously wonder about where his career is headed. Who will be the number one driver in 2010? 2010 could be his one chance to establish himself as more than a journeyman F1 driver. Often in 2009 he was fast in practice decent in qualifying but disappointing during races. If Mercedes GP were able to snatch Vettel from Red Bull he could see his hopes for being a team leader again disappear.

Next week looks to be a big week with a possible announcement of a Schumacher return and the details of a sale of Renault F1. I may be able to close this thread before Christmans!

Big day for Lotus F1. They introduced their drivers Jarno Trulli and Hekki Kovalainen and a new Lotus team logo. Over at Manor/Virgin they announced that Lloyds had taken a stake in the team. Heidfeld is waiting with us for news on Schumacher’s decision. Vettel slipped in an interview and revealed that Red Bull will use Renault engines in 2010. During this flurry of activity US F1 remains in full stealth mode.

autosport.com: What the new points mean for F1

Reuters.com is reporting that Ferrari would let Schumacher go. Motnezemolo says he has not talked with Shumi but he gives a pointed, at least to my eye, explanation of what will happen if he does sign with Mercedes GP. Motnezemolo is fully capable of stereotypical Italian drama but his words are always carefully chosen. To see a man who has spent the better part of the last decade behind the wheel of a red car or on the pit wall described as ÔÇ£not a member of the teamÔÇØ is chilling. Make your decision quickly Schumi. In the trench warfare that F1 has become no manÔÇÖs land is no place to stand for long.

Mika, I sure have enjoyed your contributions. I've gained a lot of appreciation and thus interest in F1 due to your postings. Thank you.

Beckgr, youÔÇÖre welcome!

Thank you for the most wonderful compliment. I am truly pleased you got something out of the threads that brought you enjoyment of this motorsport.

F1 News

Monday Lotus took the top spot on the F1 news podium. For the next days we will be back to waiting and the drama related to answering the question will he or wonÔÇÖt he.

La Gazzetta dello Sport has drunk deeply from the Tifosi koolaid goblet, yet its reporting can be interesting and informative. While Saint Michael was off Kart racing Luca Motemezolo was speaking at the Ferrari Christmas party. The head of Ferrari had all sorts of nice things to say about everyone associated with Ferrari in 2009; even Kimi Raikkonen who after signing with Citroen to go rally racing instead of with a F1 team just cost him 17 million in some sort of currency. Everyone that is except the guy he tried to get a third F1 car for and just signed a multi million dollar three year consulting contract with.

F1 pundit and columnist for the BBC, James Allen, tells us that Mr. Schumacher and Mr. Motezemolo will lunch latter this week. Perhaps that is when Mr. Motezemolo will say those things he failed to this past weekend.

While the luncheon is going on Mercedes GP is going to be out looking for cash to pay the tab if Schumi comes away ready to sign a contract with them. Mercedes had signed a Ôé¼90 million sponsorship contract with Henkel that is suitable for framing as comedy club bathroom art. The former Henkel employee had no authority to sign such a deal. If that sum sounds familiar it is roughly the euro equivalent of the proposed budget cap that started the FOTA wars this past summer. Now Mercedes GP has no sponsor and is going to pay its lawyers to sort the failed deal out while looking for several millions in some currency to pay Schumi if things go their way at the luncheon.

On the sidelines Nick Heidfeld is nervously waiting for SchumiÔÇÖs decision while aging at such a fast rate he will be 50 and nine years older than Schumacher (instead of 32 and nine years younger) when the 2010 F1 season starts. He mistakenly is thinking that he will have an answer by Friday. Wrong.

A pesky reporter from Motorsport-Magazine asking if Mercedes has verified that Schumacher can drive or not; or are they about to make another Henkel like mistake by signing a contract with someone who can not deliver? The pesky reporter has a very valid question. Karting is not F1 nor can a lab test fully compare with the track. There must be a track test. This would be and extraordinary event and require the approval of FOTA. This brings us back to luncheon with Luca.

In the past Luca had several luncheons with a gentleman named Frank Williams when Luca wanted special approval for driver testing. Frank saw this as giving the red cars an unfair advantage over his blue and white cars and said no. Is it possible that Luca might think that Mercedes buying its way into the current World Champion team run by his former tactician and signing his former multi time world champion driver out from under him gives Mercedes GP an unfair advantage and say no?

It would all be so simple if they would just listen to me. :ha

Renault announced today it will sell a large portion of Renault F1 to Genii Capital, a Luxemburg based firm.

So what does all of this mean and how does it play out?

- Renault remains as an engine supplier to F1. They will supply Renault F1 and others. This gives F1 teams four engine options for the duration of the current Concorde Agreement ÔÇô Renault, Ferrari, Mercedes and Cosworth.
- Renault F1 is essentially split in two. The chassis and team management side will be more and more the responsibility of Genii as the deal progresses through the current Concorde Agreement that runs to 2012.
- GeniiÔÇÖs chairman is Gerard Lopez and is the driving force behind this for two reasons. First he heads Gravity Management who manages drivers and secondly his companies are heavily involved in technology along with the internet and want to bring there services and ideas to F1.
- Robert Kubica will remain at Renault F1 and may be joined by Chinese driver Ho-Pin Tung. Tung is managed by Lopez and showed well the recent Jerez rookie tests. He brings money and a Chinese face for Renault and F1 who both want to expand in that market. Stay tuned.
- Nick Heidfeld has been linked with Renault F1 to team up with Kubica again. The sale to Genii puts that as a very distant option. If he is to make a return to the 2010 F1 grid he will more than likely do it in a Sauber-Ferrari.
- Flavio Briatore is further blocked out of a F1 return if his January appeal of his life time ban is successful. This makes it even more difficult for him to find an opening to make a return.

F1 News

autosport.com: Kobayashi joins Sauber for 2010
Sauber signs its junior driver with this deal. Now they need the seasoned veteran to provide the balance Peter Sauber described he is looking for. What else does the Japanese driver bring to the team?

Kobayashi will no doubt bring the 5 million (insert currency of choice here) and perhaps a bit more. He was linked to various versions of the Toyota breakup and Panasonic, ToyotaÔÇÖs primary sponsor. Reports have said Panasonic would like to continue to use F1 as an advertising platform. A Japanese driver would help secure such a link.

The other major sponsor prospect for Sauber has been long term sponsor Petronas. When Sauber was in the nether world Petronas had said it would remain as a sponsor if the team were able to return to the grid. At the same time Lotus F1 was using its Malaysian government links to pressure Petronas to become their sponsor.

All of this indicates Sauber is on track to make their return. Two questions remain. The Ferrari engine should be strong but how is the development of the 2010 car coming? When will Schumi be announced as the senior driver? Alright when will someone be announced as the senior driver?

Official statement regarding Kobayashi

By BMW Sauber F1
December 17 2009

Kamui Kobayashi has been signed on as a BMW Sauber F1 Team driver as of season 2010. The 23-year-old Japanese drew attention to himself in 2009 with two strong performances as a substitute driver for Toyota.
ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm very much looking forward to working together with Kamui,ÔÇØ said Peter Sauber. ÔÇ£In the final two Grand Prix of last season he was granted an unexpected chance to show his skills, and he made impressive use of it. Particularly in the Abu Dhabi race he demonstrated not only that he can drive fast and aggressively, but also his ability to successfully implement a strategy. I am convinced he has a great deal of potential and will be able to make the most of it in our team.ÔÇØ
Kobayashi hadnÔÇÖt been inside a Formula One race car for seven months when he climbed into the Toyota cockpit for free practice in Suzuka on 2nd October 2009. Two weeks later he was contesting the first of his two Formula One races to date. His debut race in Interlagos saw him finish in ninth place (11th in qualifying), falling just short of the points. At the season finale in Abu Dhabi he started from 12 th place, made his mark as best driver on a one-stop strategy, and crossed the line in sixth to collect three points. Both races highlighted his prowess in head-to-head battles.
ÔÇ£Ever since the start of my career I have dreamed of racing in Formula One,ÔÇØ said Kobayashi. ÔÇ£Now this dream has come true. I am very happy that my two races in 2009 have earned me a cockpit place. I will do my very best for Peter SauberÔÇÖs team and I am proud to be able to carry on flying the Japanese flag in Formula One.ÔÇØ
Kamui Kobayashi was born on 13th September 1986 in the Japanese city of Amagasaki. He took up karting at the age of nine. ToyotaÔÇÖs Young DriversÔÇÖ Programme was the passport to Formula Renault in 2004 and 2005, after which he took part in the Formula 3 Euro Series, winning the race in Magny-Cours, France in 2007. Further podium places earned him fourth place in the final rankings ÔÇô and with it promotion. At the end of 2007, Toyota had already signed him on as a Formula One reserve driver from 2008 on.
At the same time, Kobayashi was competing in the GP2 Series in Asia and Europe in 2008 and 2009. He claimed an early maiden win in the European GP2, and in winter 2008/2009 he took a convincing title in the GP2 Asia.
Kamui Kobayashi lives in Paris. He speaks Japanese and English. He is 1.70 m tall and weighs 63 kg

reuters.com: Kubica not sure of staying at Renault, Says manager.
If Kubica is to stay in F1 Renault appears to be his best option at this point. He may be concerned with his position as number 1 driver with new ownership and if Lopez brings his driver along. Mercedes seems a very long shot. The Sauber option could be the one especially if Ferrari were to sweeten the deal in some way. Ferrari was interested in the Pole but they have too many drivers under contract already. There is the option that he could go rally driving like Raikkonen. Kubica has been driving rally cars since the end of the F1 season.

f1network.com: Kobayashi and Baguette set to join Sauber.

f1technical.net: Wirth develops Virgin Racing car without windtunnel
Cool, I wish they would tell us more.

fia.com: Court announces new system for F1 appeals
The Congress of the FIA International Court of Appeal to discuss and adopt a new system for nominating judges for appeal hearings in the FIA Formula One World Championship.

reuters.com: F1 teams allowed to test stand-in drivers

This is a change in the rules to avoid some of the problems that teams faced as they put rookies into seats in 2009. It does not appear to provide the ÔÇÿoutÔÇÖ needed to avoid any fuss around a Schumi test that I suggested might happen.

Design on a dime race on two cents. Virgin is set to be the budget racer team of the 2010 season. How it does rest on the car design according to Nick Worth, team technical director.

Branson has set tight budget guidlines for his Virgin F1 team to work within along with the unheard of goal of making a profit from the endevor. How these match up with grid performance and fan support will be a story to watch

flagworld.com: Canadian GP tickets now officially on sale

OK... I have lurked long enuf...

Mika (or anyone who knows the biz...);

Is, or has anyone stated as of late that F1 is going the way of America's Champ Car and IRL... i.e. a spec race type of venue with the bowing out of some of the previous engine / chassis / tire manufacturers?

At the end, Champ Car had one engine, one chassis, one tire type and a whole boat load of rules that I think detracted from what racing is all about. As the "econ crisis" continues and companies see cash exiting via the F1 racing moniker, does anyone get the feeling in the sport that F1 may become a spec race sport as manufacturers decide to no longer support (or provide equipment for) an F1 team?

Rules and rules and rules... It also seems that we are getting ruled to death as of late in F1. If you so much as breath on another car during the race, you are relegated to the back of the pack / fined to death / asked to take a powder for a race or two... Dang it... racing is racing... You may have a little blocking going on, bad passing, driver mistakes, etc. It's what makes racing fun to watch. Cramping the racing style by ruling it to death (or allowing course stewards to affect the outcome of a race by making decisions during and well after the end of the race) is starting to drive me away from F1. Heck, I'll take a local kart race any day...

Any particular reason that we are starting to hear about rev limiters? And why?

Does anyone see the new points system in F1 as trying to parallel other types of venue point systems. I had no problem with the previous F1 points system... why the change?

In my mind, open wheel is true design type racing. To see America's open wheel racing venues get stoopid, bothers me. If it happens to F1... well... may it rest in peace, but I sure as hell won't be happy about it.

I've read what the pundits have to say... I'm interested in what the minds here have to say...

Back