• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bench Racing: 2009 Formula One Thread

I suspect Paul was commenting on a post in my thread Bench Racing & The Morning Reads and posted in the F1 thread by mistake.

Yup - my mistake! I get so interested in the material that Mika posts that I get lost in time and space. :clap

reuters.com: Toyota to quit Formula One ÔÇô Report

I had posted that the announcement of future plans for F1 would be announced Sunday by Toyota. However; after the meetings of the Toyota board on Tuesday leaks began to appear that the decision was formally made to exit F1 and will be announced Wednesday.

The Fix ...

What I know about F1 racing could be written on the head of a pin with a railroad spike. I like the flashy cars. Honestly that's is the real depth knowledge of the sport.

The economic times have to be a consideration before spending hefty chunks of change on racing.

But I have heard about the "Renault fix". Bad news travels fast and deep. How much does that affect the sport.

So what's my real interest? If Mika writes it, I read it. Gresham's law in reverse.

The Fat Lady sang in Japan today.

Tokyo - TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announces it plans to withdraw from the FIA Formula One World Championship (F1) at the end of the 2009 season.

TMC, which had viewed its participation in F1 as contributing to the prosperity of automotive culture, remained dedicated to competing at the pinnacle of motor sports, even in the face of the abrupt economic changes that started last year. However, when considering TMCÔÇÖs motor-sports activities next year and beyond from a comprehensive midterm viewpoint reflecting the current severe economic realities,TMC decided to withdraw from F1.

TMC leaves F1 having compiled 13 podium and 87 point finishes over eight challenging seasons since 2002 with Panasonic Toyota Racing, a full-constructor team. It views its time in F1 - in which teams put forth their best efforts to fiercely compete at racings' highest level - as an irreplaceable experience that provided an opportunity to develop both human resources and its R&D operations. TMC expresses its deepest appreciation to its F1 fans and others for their warm support.

TMC also wants to express its heartfelt gratitude to all Panasonic Toyota Racing drivers to date and to all Toyota Motorsport GmbH employees who have helped make the teamÔÇÖs achievements possible. TMC intends to do its best to find a solution for those parties who will be affected by any inconvenience this decision may cause.

Drawing on its experience in F1 and other motor sports, TMC intends to move forward in developing exciting production vehicles, such as the Lexus ÔÇÿLFAÔÇÖ supercar and compact rear-wheel-drive sports cars. In motor sports, it will not only race in various categories, but will also actively contribute to further development of motor sports by supporting grassroots races and planning events in which it is easy for people to participate.

This is normally the time of year I put the F1 thread up on blocks turn out the lights close the garage door and try to convince myself I wonÔÇÖt do it again next season. Instead there has been more action in the three days after the last race of the season than fans have seen on track in the last three races. ItÔÇÖs time to review the week so far

Monday
F1 will be changing tires after the 2010 season. Bridgestone, F1ÔÇÖs current supplier of tires has announced they will not submit a bid to be the tire supplier again after their contract runs out at the end of the 2010 season. The search for a new tire supplier is on.

Tuesday
ToyotaÔÇÖs board met and rumors hit the street that moved an anticipated Sunday press conference to Wednesday.

Back to tires: Pirelli the supplier for World Superbike says it is not interested wanting to focus on building racing tires with street applications. The search for a new tire supplier continues.

Wednesday
Toyota announces that it will be withdrawing from F1 effective immediately if not sooner. This starts a series of releases hitting the wires.
-Ferrari issues their cryptic ÔÇÿTen Little IndiansÔÇÖ press release regarding ToyotaÔÇÖs exit

- The other little Indians aka FOTA make their press release which is politically correct and yet gives each team the latitude to respond in a way that protects their individual interests.

- FIA: Press Release ÔÇô Toyota and Bridgestone
BridgestoneÔÇÖs exit may present problems but at least they are honoring their agreement.
While giving Bridgestone a pass the press release is clearly a first shot across the bow to Toyota. Unlike BMW, Toyota signed the Concorde Agreement that was to bind them to the series for the next three years. There will be legal repercussions.

- Mario Theissen is leaving Hinwil and heading to Paris to talk with the FIA. ToyotaÔÇÖs exit opens the door for Hinwil F1 to be the 13th car on the grid.

- The tire supplier search goes on. Michelin and Goodyear are not interested.

All of this happened before lunch here in fly-over-land. I barely had the last bite of my sandwich eaten when I made the mistake of tuning the computer back on and refreshing my rss feeds.

- Renault called an emergency meeting to consider withdrawing from F1. The report I read says three options were to be considered. 1. Remain in F1 as is. 2. Sell their share in the Renault F1 team but remain as an engine supplier. 3. Withdraw completely with immediate effect. There is no news as to the outcome of the meeting.

- What is a F1 story without a bit of scandal? There is a new F1 SpyGate brewing. The design of the Lotus car that was recently wind tunnel tested was based on Force India design according to this brewing story. As strange as it sounds the ring of truth to the story is that Force India has been the slowest payer of its bills of all the F1 teams.

- Finally; I donÔÇÖt have any links for this one but there are a growing number of references to ToyotaÔÇÖs exit creating problems for USF1. Rumors have persisted that USF1 was trying to sell its position on the grid to Sauber or others. Sauber refused and with the Toyota exit will not need it. In addition the Brit tout sites seem to think Ross Brawn is furious with USF1 and their failure to have done any safety crash testing to date. Apparently Brawn does not see how they can have a car ready by March and not have done that by now. As much as I want USF1 to be a new version of Dan Gurney and American Eagle taking on the world more and more I have the feeling that this is going to be the F1 version of Bernie Madoff does Enron.

Man what a week and its only afternoon on Wednesday.

Renault made a non-announcement-announcement of its F1 intentions today.

"You will have to be patient," Renault Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn told reporters on Thursday.ÔÇØ We will make an announcement on our participation in Formula 1before the end of the year."

Jean-Francois Caubet, Renault F1ÔÇÖs managing director, has been denying all stories that the team will not be on the grid in 2010. He points to a working budget having been approved and the signing of new drivers as examples of the teams on going presence in F1.

He may be right. I wonder who he will be working for when the season starts and who will be funding the team. My guess as an avid F1 conspiracy nut is the special meeting of the Renault board was held to examine the impact of ToyotaÔÇÖs exit on a pending sale of the Renault F1 team to a third party. The in this theory Renault agree to sell their interest in the team but remain as an engine supplier through the new Concorde Agreements term as the quid for the quo of not receiving a major fine from the World Moto Sport Council during the Singapore crash scandal.

As always my theories and a $1 will get you a small coffee and change at the official fly-over-land gas station. I just left there after gasing the Roadster and they were brewing a new pot.

F1 News

The F1 week is closing quietly after a boisterous start. I have always had the sense that the people involved with F1 donÔÇÖt keep office hours so anything could happen at any time.

The search for a Bridgestone replacement will continue and undoubtedly take up a good portion of the 18 months available to do so. The key major companies involved in auto racing have made their initial position statements and will go home this weekend and begin to decide if that is their final stance. The series may not have a single provider doughnut provider in 2011 but they have other things on their plate right now.

ToyotaÔÇÖs shock announcement should not have been a surprise at all when you stop and think about it. Their exit has been rumored since Honda made theirs. Signs have been their all season with the failure to renew Timo Glocks contract or sign another driver to replace him the most recent. Surprise or not the exit will play out over the next days in several ways as Toyota responds to the FIA demands for clarification of their exit.

The first, and near and dear to the hearts of this thread, is the impact on Hinwil F1. They are slotted to replace anyone who did not make the 2010 grid. Their accent form paddock transport to gridded race team is not automatic. The major obstacle would be if Toyota sold their team instead ala Honda instead of shutting it down. Current reports are that Toyota has no plans of selling team thus it should be a fairly straight forward if bureaucratic process for Hinwil F1 to official join the grid. DonÔÇÖt look for an official announcement until next week. There are many details in this that could set legal precedent for how future exits are handled.

The Toyota F1 employees and the city of Cologne are waiting for news of what will happen to the Toyota F1 facility if it is not to be sold. The facility is one of the largest in F1 sporting approximately 700 employees. F1 was the major focus of the facility but it did support other projects and much of the plant could be refocused in other directions. Toyota is exiting F1 but it has not said it is exiting motorsport. Distilling the current speculation we should expect an initial cut back to approximately 150 employees to run the remaining core business while Toyota decides where it will go from here. The nod generally goes to the Le Mans series. F1 technology quickly translates to that motorsport form and has more of the illusion of having a relationship to the street than F1 while generally requiring smaller staffs to field a team. If this is the case some but not all of the laid off workers could have a chance to return.

Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone have been amazingly absent in the press.

TodtÔÇÖs silence may be a case of his being to busy his first week on the job trying to find his office to talk with the press. However; more likely he has found the office of the FIA layers and is going over every letter in the Concorde Agreement and their implications in the Toyota exit and future potential exits of teams such as Campos or USF1.

Ecclestone has been busy with other things and has dismissed most questions on the subject with a bit of ominous bravado. I donÔÇÖt have the direct quote but it runs along the lines: F1 will survive without Toyota we have other options, but they signed the Concorde Agreement and they know their responsibilities under it. ToyotaÔÇÖs legal team will not be laying off anyone soon.

The exit of Renault has been put on hold until further notice. I continue to believe they will sell their ownership stake in the team while remaining in F1 as an engine supplier. Look for an announcement around New Years or sooner if the legal implications of ToyotaÔÇÖs exit are quickly sorted out.

The brewing spy scandal may well turn out to be a business page story rather than the latest F1 my name is Bond, James Bond thriller. Aerolab, the scene of the alleged crime, has officially severed ties with Force India Formula 1. This may turn out to be the nexus of the F1 rules and the history of all F1 teams being notoriously slow bill payers. It is increasingly difficult for teams to field different cars due to the rules and risk of doing so. BrawnÔÇÖs finding a minute hole to wriggle through with its diffuser is an anomaly. FerrariÔÇÖs risk with their F60 design tangent was a mistake. The similarity between the Lotus and Force India designs may just be a case of interpreting the rules in the same way. Either way Force India has found some cash to pay its past bills and layers as this scandal figures out where it will be published.

Rumors: Silly Season and More

ToyotaÔÇÖs exit impacts the silly season as well. Three Toyota drivers, instead of one, are on the market. Raikkonen continues to hold out for big bucks from any team willing to sign him knowing that Ferrari has to pay a buy-out if he is unable to come up with a deal on the same or similar terms. Hinwil F1 needs to sign drivers. Kubica is lost to Renault F1 and Heidfeld has been linked with McLaren, Brawn and others. Time is running out. Teams need to have drivers signed so they can finalize their chassis and comply with safety testing in time to make the March 2010 starting grid.

F1 News

toyora-f1.com: ItÔÇÖs not over yet...

Well it actually is for the F1 team but the site promises some treats for fans as the team winds down. I donÔÇÖt know what is in store but you may want to check in on the site yourself over the next days.

It may be over at Toyota F1 but questions remain about if it is even started over at USF1. Peter Windsor continues to say they have..

Ecclestone never ceases to amaze me with inane comments.
crash.net: Ecclestone ÔÇô Button doesnÔÇÖt deserve to be F1 Champ
When you are the top promoter for the sport you make your living from why would you say things like this?

motorsport-aktuell.com places the contract figure World Champion Jenson Button closer to the 3.6 million euro Brawn GP offered than the and the 5+ million euro he was reportedly asking. The signing of the contract has not been announced as this goes to post.

Buemi ÔÇô I signed with Toto Rosso for 2010. No real surprise there. Buemi showed early potential in his rookie season that seamed to wear down as the season dragged on. The off season may be the break he needs to gain some perspective and focus to take on the 2010 season.

automot365.com: Villeneueve and Lotus

Along with others I have been trying to make sense of Kimi RaikkonenÔÇÖs 2010 negotiating strategy. Granted he is a former World Champion but his performance since 2007 has been lackluster at best until MassaÔÇÖs accident. Then he did step up for the team and his negotiating position. He was tagged by Ross Brawn as too expensive. McLaren is seriously interested but again have hinted they donÔÇÖt want to pay his price given the other talent out on the market. As people are trying to make sense of it the numbers are slowly coming out and the money makes it clearer.

Raikkonen stands to make more money in 2010 if he takes a year off. If the Finn accepts McLaren's current offer, he will earn Ôé¼15m in 2010, as opposed to Ôé¼17m if he has a season on the sidelines.

According to his deal with Ferrari, they promised to pay Raikkonen Ôé¼17m if he does not race in F1 next year, and Ôé¼10m if he finds suitable employment elsewhere.

Realizing this, McLaren has reportedly offered Raikkonen just 5 million for the 2010 seat, concluding that Ôé¼15m in total earnings is a very healthy amount for the 2007 world champion especially given his performance in the interim and substantially more than Button Vettel and Barrichello made this year while finishing ahead of him in the standings.

Damon Hill, when asked about Brawns struggle to sign Button, recently through the press told Jenson Button that winning a World Championship is not all about money. He may have a point particularly when you consider Barrichello paid his own way and earned only $600K in his title hunt this year.

It may not be about the money for Hill, Button and Barrichello in the end but for Deep Throat and Kimi Raikkonen Ôé¼2 million is to much money to give up for the chance to risk life and limb in a McLaren in 2010.

If I hear about drivers in the off season I like to hear about what they are doing. Robert Kubica, for example, is off driving rally cars. I guess this is the F1 drivers version of hockey players going off and playing golf when their season is ended.

F1 News

guardian.co.uk: Flavio Briatore to demand Ôé¼1m payout from FIA

f1complete.com: Belgium GP post loss

Taking a deep breath after a whirlwind first season Sebastien Buemi admits his view of F1 has changed

Raikkonen, Hamilton, Alonso and Massa may be disappointed they did not win the DriverÔÇÖs Championship but all are glad they are not Jenson Button right now. They may not have won the championship but they all have solid contracts that are going to pay as much or more than the ₤6 million the new champion is trying to get in a deal with Brawn GP.

The two sides have come close to a deal at various times. Last week Ross Brawn thought they were 99% of the way there. This week they have hit a snag and Brawn is suggesting he wonÔÇÖt pay ButtonÔÇÖs price. At the same time he thinks they can do a deal by altering ButtonÔÇÖs sponsor obligations to the team and allowing him to go out and get sponsor dollars for himself.

Brawn seems to have learned his lesson from Branson and the deal he made with the team for Virgin. Virgin bought space on the car like any sponsor but reserved the right to sell portions of that space off on a season or race by race basis to recover some of ViriginÔÇÖs costs or even turn a profit. Brawn is offering Button a variation of the same deal and has Button asking; whatÔÇÖs up with that?

If we believe Bruno Senna, what is up with that, Champ, is the way business is done in the new F1 economics. Senna and Campos Meta made their formal announcement that Senna will be driving for the team in 2010. Everyone was all smiles at the press conference especially Campos because Campos will not pay Senna this season.

Senna will receive no salary from the team but if he worked out a deal along the lines that Brawn is suggesting to Button and he does what he says teams were demanding of him as a base; the young Brazilian will make around Ôé¼5 million this season. At the current exchange rate about what Button is asking for if not a bit more. This is where it gets hazy because all the terms of his contract are not being reveiled.

Senna has been hunting around the F1 paddock for over a year trying to find a ride. In that time he talked with the existing teams and the new teams. He told reporters that ÔÇ£almost all of them demanded that I contribute Ôé¼5 million in sponsorshipsÔÇØ to the teams. Senna is claiming that he has not bought his seat and in some way will be able to live on what he can drum up for sponsorship. So if he does for himself just the base line for a ride he claims was required by other teams he signed a Ôé¼5 million deal.

Reuters News Service is confirming SennaÔÇÖs story in a way. De la Rosa looked to be SennaÔÇÖs team mate but now it is being reported that De la Rosa needs money to get Campos F1 drive. Are they putting an additional squeeze on him because of the Senna deal?

F1 economics have changed during ButtonÔÇÖs career. We are no longer in the champagne and caviar dream days when Schumacher was regularly the highest paid athlete in the world based on endorsements alone while racking up a substantial salary from SF on top of that. Which makes me wonder why rumors persist of his return in a third red car for 2010? He will not confirm nor flatly deny the possibility. Apparently he has more fire in the belly to race red cars in F1 than his Finnish successor.

On the Street

I started with Briatore and ended with Schumacher which all sets us up to go spend money in the F1 Flea Market, or the ebay branch in this case.

F1 News

Progress for the new teams?

autosport.com: Cosworth confident on new teams.
Cosworth general manager of F1 Mark Gallagher tries to dispel the question marks dogging the new teamsÔÇÖ viability. At the same he can be seen as working to give credibility to CosworthÔÇÖs ability which some have questioned.

racecar-engineering.com: Aerolab and Lotus F1 join forces.
No surprise here. Lotus, the late entry, is fast tracking itself very publicly.

USF1 is in the news with two stories that pull me in two directions.

f1sa.com: USF1 lodges $440,000 Formula 1 entry fee with FIA
It always helps credibility when you put your money where your mouth is.

- But -

Toyota has said it is not selling the F1 team but they may be selling their 2010 car design and USF1 is the team linked most closely as a potential buyer. Here are three versions of the same story.

motorsport-total.com: Toyota know how for the teams?

flagworld.com: Toyota would sell 2010 car design

motorsport-magazine.com: Toyota to sell?

If true this could leap frog USF1 back into the lead for development amongst the new teams. Yet the idea of buying the Toyota design and running it in 2010 raises more questions for me than it answers.
- How long has this deal been in the works? I doubt it has come up overnight.
- What has USF1 been doing all this time with its own design?
- Windsor claims the team has crash tested parts already in response to Brawns comments. Did USF1 crash test parts it designed and built or was Windsor referring to Toyota crash tests with the knowledge they would be buying the design?

I really would like to root for an American team in 2010. But how American is it going to be? The home office is in North Carolina but the track base is on the Iberian Peninsula, there are no drivers signed yet (US Canadian or other nationality), the engine is British and now the chassis design could come from the German arm of a Japanese firm that never won a race. Somehow this does not stir the jingoist fan ardor I first felt when I saw the name USF1.

YMMV

F1 News

Back to the important stuff ÔÇô F1 scandals.

The FIA is upset with BriatoreÔÇÖs press leaks and has responded with this press release. Todt has been very quiet in press terms compared to what we grew to expect out of Mosley and how he would have possibly handled this.

FIA.com
Press Release
Tribunal De Grande Instance
12/11/2009
The FIA condemns the selective leaking of extracts from Mr BriatoreÔÇÖs pleadings to the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris.

The FIA rejects the allegations made in these leaks and confirms that the decision to impose a sanction against Mr Briatore was made by an overwhelming majority of the attending World Motor Sport Council members.

In respect for the authority of the French Court, it would be entirely inappropriate for the FIA to comment further on this matter in advance of the hearing.

end

Still no news rumors or anything on Himwil F1 being accepted to the grid replacing Toyota F1.

F1 News

motorsport.com: Sauber ÔÇÿwaiting paitientlyÔÇÖ for 2010 entry

reuters.com: Lotus F1 looks to GLCs for cash

grandprix.com: FIA discusses overtaking

formula1.com: Bridgestone on 2009, Korea and 2010ÔÇÖs narrower front tires

racecar-engineering.com: F1 2010: Narrow front tires

The AT&T Williams blog takes a look at what is going on in the design office during the off season. All of this makes sense and leads me to wonder why Auto-Motor-und-Sport found things so quiet in North Carolina when they visited.

Bruno Senna has been to the Dallara factory for seat fitting. Dallara is build the Campos car and Campos is thrilled with DallaraÔÇÖs progress with the new car.

Crash testing is a major hurdle to making the grid and reports are that Lotus F1 has passed internal versions of the first FIA crash tests. Official testing is pending.

This is the longest silly season I can remember.

Heidfeld is confident he will have a ride in 2010 but is not certain with whom. Hinwil F1 remains a possibility but they are still not officially on the grid.

His now former team mate KubicaÔÇÖs new team Renault is on the grid but will they be there when the seasons started. His new team mate was thought to be Timo Glock but with RenaultÔÇÖs future in doubt he is talk with Manor. From the frying pan into the fire once again?

Jenson Button is reported to be talking with McLaren again. He toured the McLaren HQ. Whitmarsh the McLaren team principal gave Button the tour and gave the same tour to Raikkonen and his managers. ButtonÔÇÖs interest may make Raikkonen more pliable on salary if he in fact still wants another F1 Championship in his future. Would the newly crowned champion be able to deal with being second to Hamilton? How would Raikkonen deal with the same issues?

Louts F1 has signed its first driver but is not saying who that is just yet. Lotus has said a Malaysian driver is not essential even though they are seeking backing from government linked companies. But if not a Malaysian driver who?

With so many known names with out a ride or their rides having lingering questions about them there are also new names to consider. With a broad hint that he is the only North American with a valid super-license Robert Wickens says he has talked with many of the teams and is hoping for a call. He echoes Bruno SennaÔÇÖs comments that the new teams expect drivers to bring money along with their skills.

While all this has been going on the German press takes us back to Nick Heidfeld who it says Norbert Haug thinks would look good in silver.

On another front of the Sad Silly Season ÔÇô Briatore says secret talks led to F1 ban.

Kimi Raikkonen may want to win another title but he is taking a sabbatical and it will be Jenson Button who teams up with Lewis Hamilton for McLarenÔÇÖs renewed push in 2010. This leaves Brawn GP with no signed drivers and saying Button breached contract according to a ÔÇÿdisappointedÔÇÖ Ross Brawn.

Hamilton has made it clear that Button may be the current Formula 1 World Champion but he is still the number one driver at McLaren. For his part Button is ready for the ÔÇÖlions denÔÇÖ at McLaren.

The Brawn GP team will disappear for 2010 as Mercedes takes a controlling interest in the team. They will hold approximately 75% of the team with the current owners retaining the remaining shares.

Norbert Haug has confirmed the Mercedes has been in talks with Nick Heidfeld. They want a German drivers for their German team. Rosberg would be the second driver in this German super team, if they can come to financial terms. Brawn had not been able or willing to pay what Rosberg wanted but with Mercedes in control things could be different.

Trulli is in talks with Lotus but no confirmation of any contract yet.
Kovy is unemployed with the heart felt thanks of McLaren for his efforts.

Still no news on Hinwil F1ÔÇÖs grid future.

Still no news on the Hinwil F1 front.

This seems to be a simple F1 business story. All the teams are out scrambling for money right now. Yet I wonder if there are more changes to come at Williams F1.
formula1.news.com: Williams sells a minority interest in the team.

The silly season is brewing a nationalist fervor to it casting McLaren as waving the Union Jack and Brawn GP transforming into the Silver Aero. If you are going to have a German super team who better to head it than Schmi?

bbc.co.uk: Mercedes want Michael Schumacher to drive in F1

Meanwhile

uk.reuters.com: Mercedes play down Schumacher speculation

crash.net: Schumacher Mercedes F1 move is going to happen

Formula 1 News

autosport.com: Theissen ÔÇô Team still in the dark over slot.

formula1.com: Rosberg to race for Mercedes in 2010
No news on who will team with him. Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug would not rule in or out a return buy Schumacher.

Mercedes may be down playing the Schumacher speculation but [/url=http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKLL4472820091121?sp=true&pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=10174]uk.reuters.com[/url]ÔÇÖs story is full of mixed signals. "The possibility is being actively pursued and I believe it is going to happen," said Jordan, who gave Schumacher his Formula One debut in 1991, but Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm said she would be surprised if the German came out of retirement at the age of 41.

The more I see in print the less I think it will happen.
Therefore; SchumiÔÇÖs return is a done deal given my prediction track record. -:ha

formula1.com: Lopez poised to sign for USF1
Formula1.com the official F1 website rarely runs rumors, so we may actually see a driver sign with US F1.

F1 News

BMW AG reaches agreement with Peter Sauber regarding sale of the BMW Sauber F1 Team
ÔÇó 27.11.2009
ÔÇó Press Release
ÔÇó UPDATE
Munich/Hinwil. Yesterday (Thursday), BMW AG reached an agreement with Peter Sauber regarding the sale of the BMW Sauber F1 Team. The contract is subject to the condition that the team has a starting place for the 2010 Formula 1 season.

Dr Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG with responsibility for Development, stated this morning: ÔÇ£We are very happy with this solution. This fulfils the most important requirement for a successful future for the team. Our relationship with Peter Sauber has always been excellent and marked by absolute respect. We would like to express our thanks to Peter Sauber and the whole team for the excellent cooperation during the recent four years.ÔÇØ

Peter Sauber added: ÔÇ£"I am very relieved that we have found this solution. It means we can keep the Hinwil location and the majority of workplaces. I am convinced that the new team has a very good future in Formula One, whose current transformation with new framework conditions will benefit the private teams. Our staff here are highly competent and motivated, and I look forward to taking on this new challenge together with them. I would like to thank BMW for four shared years that have in the main been very successful."

This means that the sale to Qadbak Investment Ltd. that was initially planned will not be completed.

A further agreement with Peter Sauber proposes personnel cuts from the current level of 388 to around 250 employees. The restructuring of the team and compliance with future framework conditions have made this essential. Notices of redundancy have therefore been issued today. BMW AG regrets the need for these personnel cutbacks and will support the restructuring. At this moment in time, due to the aforementioned restructuring of the team, it is not possible to exclude the possibility of further redundancies in the near future.

This goes a long way to explaining why there has been no announcement to this point of Hinwil F1ÔÇÖs acceptance as the 13th team for the 2010 grid. This remains a hurdle for them to overcome. However; an announcement should be forth coming.
- Sauber says his driver short list includes Heidfeld. No surprise there. Other new names have been mentioned including several that should have the money teams are rumored to be asking.
- The team has a deal with Ferrari for engines already in place. This would put them a leg up on any other team looking to fill the slot at this late date.
- Mario Theissen has not ruled out staying with Hinwil F1 in some capacity. He has told the German press he will announce his decision December 5 when BMW formally announces their 2010 racing plans.

VW is considering supplying F1 engines according Hans-Joachim Stuck. Stuck says his VW would not be interested in becoming a partner with a team but would be up for supplying engines.

formula1.com: Sutil and Liuzzi to remain at Force India F1.

crash.net: Mercedes ramp up efforts to poach Schumacher

timesonline.com: Seven reason Schumacher will not make comeback with Mercedes

f1complete.com: Kubica may be freed to other teams

The Canadian GP is a secure deal wit a little helpd from the governments of Canada and Quebec, Montreal and Tourisme Montreal - who together have helped put together an ?ú8.5 million annual investment plan for the next five years.

telegraph.co.uk: Flavio Briatore will learn his Formula One fate on January 5.

F1 News

Today or Tuesday the provisional list of 2010 Formula One entrants should be announced and Toyota not Suaber – Hinwil F1 may not be on the list!

In order to avoid a rumored $150 million fine for breaking the Concorde Agreement, Toyota is rumored to be in the process of selling their F1 team, car and possibly the Cologne operation to Stefan GP. Stefan GP has a Japanese driver with the requisite $5 million in hand, Serbian arms money and the potential of retaining Panasonic as a primary sponsor.

Panasonic wants to continue in F1. It has been linked with Renault F1 but I guess the French team is a backup option if the Toyota sale does not quickly get done. Flavio Briatore continues to haunt Renault F1 and will at least until January 5.

Briatore’s appeal may give Robert Kubica a get out of France free card which would allow him to join Rosberg at the Silver Arrow team.

Even if the sale of Toyota F1 goes through there is growing speculation that Hinwil F1 will get a spot on the 2010 grid. Serbian arms money may be more appealing to FOTA than Qadbak dollars. With the exit of Qadbak the current speculation is a FOTA vote now would be unanimous in favor and the grid could be expanded to 14 teams.

When is the fat lady going to sing to close the 2009 F1 opera? Even Wagner would have been more succinct in his staging of this tragic affair.

Q&A with Peter Sauber

Ask anyone in Formula One racing and they’ll tell you Peter Sauber’s a real gentleman, even in the heat of competition. For the last four years he’s taken a back seat after BMW purchased a controlling share in the team he founded. But following the German carmaker’s withdrawal from the sport, he’s returned to the spotlight after buying it back. Though widely welcomed, the move has come as a surprise to many, not least Sauber himself. They may not yet have a confirmed grid slot for 2010, but Sauber is confident about stepping into the breach once more, with the Ferrari-powered C29 very much on schedule...

Q: Peter, what does the agreement with BMW really mean? Is it true to say that both parties wouldn’t have reached an agreement if there hadn’t been strong signals that the team had a slot on the 2010 grid…
Peter Sauber: This agreement means that the future of the team and the location in Hinwil are secured. I am very relieved about that development. It would have been a crying shame had one of the best Formula One factories closed down. Regarding the slot on the grid I am very confident that we will be given a final confirmation very shortly.

Q: Do you expect the confirmation to come during next month’s FIA meeting in Monaco?
PS: I am pretty confident that there will be a decision before that date.

Q: Did you feel obligated to keep the team alive?
PS: I was strongly focused on that topic before I made the decision to acquire the team. Now the responsibility rests solely on my shoulders, but be sure that I will do everything in my power to secure a positive future for the team.

Q: How have you got the finances in place? Will Qadbak, the investment group that had planned the original deal with BMW, get involved now? Or do you envisage something similar to what happened between Honda and Brawn last year?
PS: I have obtained the financial resources for the acquisition by myself. No other backers are involved.

Q: There was always an air of mystery surrounding Qadbak, with some suggesting the name was a composition of the initials of Qatar, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. Can you shed a bit more light on it now?
PS: I have not made any comments on Qadbak in the last two months and I want to keep it that way.

Q: You faced a difficult task to reduce the number of staff by around 130 to reach the agreed headcount of 250. The Hinwil workforce was a perfectly functioning unit. How have you tried to avoid slumps in quality?
PS: That was indeed a very painful procedure. In my 40-year career as an entrepreneur I have never before had to lay off staff on financial grounds. All departments were equally affected by the cutbacks and there is a hope that no quality issues will arise. Regarding performance, we will try to compensate for the lower headcount through efficiency.

Q: You could benefit from Toyota’s withdrawal. Without it, would you have to have waited for one of the new entrants to falter?
PS: The FIA had already promised us the 14th slot on the grid. Under that circumstance it would have been our obligation to persuade the one team that had voted against us to accept our entry.

Q: From your position as a minority stakeholder you have been propelled back into the team principal’s role…
PS: It was truly never my desire to return to the pit wall. But once I decide for myself to get involved with something, then I am fully committed and do it with all my passion.

Q: It seems as though the development of the 2010 car has not been affected by BMW’s withdrawal. What is the state of affairs?
PS: Our 2010 car is perfectly on schedule. The development and fabrication have been unaffected by the situation. Having been able to proceed with uninterrupted development was also possible thanks to excellent cooperation with Ferrari, who submitted all the relevant data very early. Regarding the performance of the C29 we are all very confident. Two months before the first tests, we have already reached a very good basis for further development.

Q: So after four years of racing a BMW engine, you’re back using a Ferrari engine…
PS: That was one of the fixtures very early on. Shortly after BMW announced its withdrawal at the end of July I talked to (Ferrari chairman) Luca di Montezemolo and in a very short time - and without any bureaucracy - we received an okay. We will use a Ferrari engine and drive train.

Q: How about the driver line-up? Is the market for good drivers already swept clean?
PS: No, definitely not. And we have two very attractive cockpits to offer.

Q: How is your schedule looking for the coming weeks?
PS: On my personal list there are two priorities - the slot on the grid and the Concorde Agreement. Then I will look for drivers. My guess is that a lot of time will be consumed by the restructuring from 380 employees to 250.

autosport.com: Sauber ‘very confident’ of 2010 slot

blick.ch: New drama for Sauber

reuters.com: Theissen to remain with BMW

speedtv.com: Toyota still awaiting possible Bernie fine

autosport.com: Stefan GP still seeking 2010 gridslot

grandprix.com: Renault looking to Panasonic?

bbc.co.uk: F1 2010 – Driver lineups [to date]

A 20 car grid? King Micheal continues to hold his own in the press speculation.

f1-live.com: Schumacher’s Ferrari contract

F1 News

Toyota's slot remains unfilled as Sauber's wait continues and Virgin Racing joins the grid.

FIA.com: 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship Entry List

The lead for us in this story is found at the end. The FIA announced a twelve team 24 car grid instead of the anticipated 13 team 26 car grid. In the closing footnote the FIA has chosen to hold Toyota F1ÔÇÖs feet to the fire while offering not direction to either Hinwil F1 or Stefan GP

ÔÇ£- Toyota Motorsport GmbH remains formally bound by the Concorde Agreement to put forward a team for participation, though it has indicated that it will not be in a position to do so. An announcement will be made regarding this entry in due course.ÔÇØ

For the FIA from a litigation standpoint this makes sense. Toyota signed the Concorde Agreement and either must field a team or pay a fine under the terms of the agreement. With this statement the FIA

For Hinwil F1 Stefan GP and from a fan standpoint youÔÇÖre left scratching your head and muttering questioning obscenities under your breath. What does in due course mean in days and weeks?
- Drivers need to be signed
- Crash testing needs to be done
- Certifications that require drivers must be done

The list goes on. The reality is no matter the litigation concerns if Formula One is going to field a thirteenth team as advertised or even a fourteenth team as rumored ÔÇÿdue courseÔÇÖ needs to be measured in days instead of weeks.

Now on to the other things revealed in the release.

Jenson Button will have the number one plate and Lewis Hamilton number 2. The chuckle here is Button is despite the plate number on the car he is McLarenÔÇÖs number 2.

The announcement is one of the last, if not the last time, you will see ÔÇÿBrawn Formula One TeamÔÇÖ listed in association with the 2010 season. It will soon become Mercedes GP.

Manor GP was the name originally accepted for the 2010 team roster but it is clear that Richard Branson controls this operation and the team is now Virgin Racing.

With McLaren as a glaring exception, the order drivers are listed indicates the pecking order for a team.
- Sophomore Sebastian Buemi gets the no 1 slot for Toro Rosso with the expectation they will sign a rookie for the no 2 slot.
- Campos Meta 1 made a splash signing Bruno Senna but they list him in the no 2 slot. The speculation is they are looking for a senior driver to aid with car development and help Senna mature into F1.

The lack of listed drivers for Lotus and US F1 is interesting. Both have indicated that they had or were ready to sign their first drivers but neither is apparently close enough to sealing that deal to list them as team members. This is not a major surprise for Lotus. They were the last team officially accepted into the 2010 hunt. US F1 is another story. Peter Windsor keeps saying the team is on track with its plans but we were told drivers would be signed and a tangible car would be revealed long before now. Neither has materialized.

This brings us back to the bottom of the press release. In short order look for
- Toyota to announce they have sold their F1 team to Stefan GP(this week)
- Hinwil F1 will be accepted by FOTA, FIA and Williams as the 14th team.(by the end of next week)
- US F1 and possibly Lotus will ÔÇÿunexpectedlyÔÇÖ fail their initial FIA car crash tests in January and thus will be unable to field a team for the start of the season. One will field a team eventually and one will ignominiously fade away.

fia.com issued a press release on the 25th that the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris has upheld the FIAÔÇÖs selection procedure for new teams in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship and rejected a legal action filed by UK company MSC. In itself this was no surprise to anyone. What I found interesting was that 15 new teams had placed their names in contention for selection to the F1 grid.

motorsport-total.com translated: WhatÔÇÖs going on at Toyota?

Back