• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Beautiful BMW Damsels-Bikes and the Women who Pose with Them

Generations on the same airhead

Picture is from a rally showing myself, mom, son and my father. I am the current owner of the R90/6, mom was the prior owner and son will be the future owner. 200,000+ miles and still going strong!

Attachments

• 3generationsbmwriders 001.jpg
    3generationsbmwriders 001.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 608
More about Elspeth Beard

Information I found online:

"AIR-HEAD AROUND THE WORLD | ELSPETH BEARD ON HER BMW R 60/6
JANUARY 30, 2011 - by JP
Three decades ago, 24 year old architecture student, Elspeth Beard, set out to ride her bike around the worldÔÇô a trek that would take 3 years and over 48K miles. The young Englishwoman, whoÔÇÖd been riding since she was just 16 yrs old, had already taken a few solo journeys to Scotland and IrelandÔÇô and now was ready to take on more before she finished school and settled down into a career.
BeardÔÇÖs bike was a used 1974 BMW R 60/6 flat-twin, already with 30K miles, that she bought from a friend of a friend. Her around-the-world bike trek began in New YorkÔÇô ÔÇ£It cost $340 to send the bike and $197 for my own air fare,ÔÇØ she recalls. From NYC she rode up through Canada, then headed south through Mexico and Los AngelesÔÇô racking up 5K miles. From LA Beard shipped the bike to Sydney, while she first headed to New Zealand for a visit while her motorcycle was en route.

Elspeth Beard and her ÔÇÖ74 BMW R 60/6 that she rode around the world over the course of three years. ÔÇ£I worked for months in a pub saving the money to buy my BMW 600. That gave me the bug for travel on a bike. ItÔÇÖs the best way to get around ÔÇô cheap, efficient and I enjoy the freedom.ÔÇØ ÔÇôElspeth Beard (photo of Elspeth shortly after returning home by Peter Orme) She also made her BMWÔÇÖs lockable top-box and panniers out of riveted aluminum sheets while living and working in Sydney during her around-the-world trek. It was a necessary stop when the funds sheÔÇÖd scraped together as working student ran outÔÇô sheÔÇÖd end up spending a total of seven months apprenticing with a firm in Sydney.

In Australia, Elspeth Beard had her first big accident on a dirt road near Townsville, in Queensland. The BMW R 60/6 somersaulted and she suffered a bad concussion which put her in the hospital for two weeksÔÇô but thankfully, no broken bones. She still has the Bell ÔÇ£bone domeÔÇØ helmet that sheÔÇÖs convinced saved her lifeÔÇô and which she wore for the rest of her trek. (via) In Singapore BeardÔÇÖs luck ran out again, when all her valuables were stolenÔÇô including her passport with all the visas for the countries sheÔÇÖd yet to visit, and the registration and shipping documents for her bike. It would cost her six weekÔÇÖs time to replace all the lost documents. Beard then rode up the Thai-Malaysian peninsular to Bangkok and beyond to Chiang Mai and the Golden Triangle.

With the overland route to India (via Burma) out of bounds she headed back south to load the bike onto a boat from Penang to Madras. On the way she had her second and final big crash when a dog ran under her wheels from behind a truck, on the dangerous main road south. The bike hit a tree and Elspeth was once again battered and bruised but miraculously unbroken. She spent two weeks recuperating in the care of the impoverished Thai family into whose garden she had crashed! ÔÇ£They didnÔÇÖt speak a word of English and I didnÔÇÖt speak a word of Thai, but we communicated with sign language,ÔÇØ she said. via

The Thais were fascinated by the rivet gun with which she repaired her battered panniers and Elspeth was surprised to find half the remains of the dog sheÔÇÖd hit in the family kitchen, having already unknowingly eaten the other half! ÔÇ£I understood why they were happy to look after meÔÇô IÔÇÖd provided them with food for a fortnight!ÔÇØ Elspeth also repaired the R 60′s damaged engine herselfÔÇô ÔÇ£I took the cylinder off, straightened the bent studs as best I could and packed the cylinder base with gaskets and goo to get enough compression back.ÔÇØ

When Elspeth Beard left England for NY to begin her bike trek across the world, she was as strong and healthy a young woman as youÔÇÖd findÔÇô weighing 143 lbs. Life on the road would take its toll. By the time she reached Turkey, sheÔÇÖd weigh a mere 90 lbs.

Upon returning home, Beard immediately went to work stripping and completely rebuilding the BMWÔÇÖs engine herself, but tragically, she threw out the home-made aluminum panniers when she later left London. ÔÇôphoto of Elspeth Beard by Peter Orme

Today, Elspeth Beard is still an active and enthusiastic BMW riderÔÇô with her own award-winning architectural practice."
Article reproduced from: http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.co...und-the-world-elspeth-beard-on-her-bmw-r-606/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• elspeth-beard-bmw-motorcycle.jpg
    elspeth-beard-bmw-motorcycle.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 609
1200 Hits in ONE day!

OK, so many of us are "hitting on" this thread more than once, but 1,200 hits in ONE day? I'd say this thread might just put Campfire back on the "must-see" list, and it will no longer be one of the stepchildren of the site. . .I've already spread the word to several friends, and I bet they're each going to tell several of their friends. . .

How can the idea of MORE WOMEN be any kind of b-a-d? Anyone?

. . .something is happening here, and you don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones?

Walking Eagle

Who Knew?

OK, so many of us are "hitting on" this thread more than once, but 1,200 hits in ONE day? I'd say this thread might just put Campfire back on the "must-see" list, and it will no longer be one of the stepchildren of the site. . .I've already spread the word to several friends, and I bet they're each going to tell several of their friends. . .

How can the idea of MORE WOMEN be any kind of b-a-d? Anyone?

. . .something is happening here, and you don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones?

Walking Eagle

Who would have guessed girls and bikes would be a hit? Like I said this will be a very watched thread and rightfully so. I have asked the Moderator to please simply reinstate the thread to the original Airheads section because that is where it belongs, we will see. In the meantime, enjoy the pictures.

Thanks,
Shane

2 Damsels

Picture is from a rally showing myself, mom, son and my father. I am the current owner of the R90/6, mom was the prior owner and son will be the future owner. 200,000+ miles and still going strong!

Great photograph, thanks for sharing your 2 damsels.

Leather

Miles of leather. I guess even BMW Corporate understands the hand in hand affair of men wanting to see women near machines, particularly German made air cooled machines!

Attachments

• bmw girl.jpg
    bmw girl.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 597
2 Girls, 2 Bikes

Cute picture, looks like they are having fun.

Attachments

• tumblr_lhwqykEAbV1qgolyao1_400.jpg
    tumblr_lhwqykEAbV1qgolyao1_400.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 598
774707612_YXLGE-M.jpg

I like motorcycles, especially the ones that get ridden.
I also like women , especially those of a certain age and maturity.

Motor bikes and women make a great combination.

I like this thread, it's classy not trashy .

Airheads

Awesome pictures everyone, lets keep the pictures to include older Airheadd bikes only, much more interesting that way in my opinion. There are tons of modern pictures with the newer bikes.

Thanks,
Shane

I'm not sure Voni and Ardyss want to be "damsels", but they deserve to be here....celebrating their million miles on BMW's. Besides, Paul already slipped in a picture of Voni...

Attachments

• Glaves_Kellerman_BMWmilbnr1.jpg
    Glaves_Kellerman_BMWmilbnr1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 604
Back