• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BCR/1100S First ride impressions.....and a question at the end

pampero

Round L(ew)
Happy Holidays and a pleasant Christmas Day to all your families!

I rode my BCR for the first time yesterday, and even though most of you will think of a bike like this as your old ride, it's a new one to me. My impressions follow and I'd also like to see what the wrenches here think about the difference in exhaust gas temperature from one cylinder to the other (mentioned later on).

The ride:

This bike is so nicely finished. Things that bother me on my Ducati like panel fit and detailing are satisfying on the BCR. The paint's fun too.

It cold starts after two cranks and quickly settles into a steady 1000 RPM idle. Clutch pull is medium light and it engages naturally just where I expect it to. The shift feel may be the best I've had on a BMW. Not much clunkiness and it drops into first gear from a stop without the stomping, the fiddling and the accompanying lurch and grunch. Shifts are positive in normal street riding. I'm accustomed to the old style BMW turn signals and it was pleasing to have them back. Everything is unmistakably BMW. Even blind, you'd still know it's an oilhead boxer. Mine sounds good, both mechanically and exhaust. It is fitted with the new cam chain tensioner, nice. The Laser's (cat deleted) exhaust is more toned down than I expected especially with the cat delete. It has an even, subdued basso that has nice authority but no screech or raspiness.

The ergonomics are good for me, not cramped, very adult. It's not light no denying that. I'd say it feels Rubenesque but well balanced. My legs and hips will be good for the distance on this bike. The reach to the bars, even with the bar backs, is just a bit long for me in surface street stop and go but works fine on the road. I liked the Sargent seat at first blush (for the 90 minutes I was on it) but longer rides will reveal the truth for me. Overall, it's a luxurious package compared to a hell for leather sports bike.

Fueling felt good, no surging, no misses, starts right up but I'm not convinced this bike is giving all it has to give. It's fitted with a PC3 by a prior owner, supposedly with a tune. I don't know the story there but power was a bit disappointing. I did smell "exhaust" on my ride, something I'm not that fond of. The bike pulled with less authority than I expected and having owned an 1150GS I don't think I had unrealistic expectations but maybe that's the way it is. I've been riding a 1200S Multistrada that is a real rocket sled so maybe my frame of reference needs more adjustment. Low end power is smooth and abundant as expected but it never builds any rush. Straight line stability is superb and reassuring at legal speeds and above. Airflow was smooth and quiet in the bubble, which is perfectly placed for me. The gauge package on mine is very simple with no gear position indicator, no fuel gauge, no RID or oil temperature, but the nice white faced analog tach and speedo are lovely and easy to read. I'll miss having a fuel gauge and gear indicator but I can still count to six so I'll get by.

I didn't ride aggressively and most of what I did play with were high speed sweepers, on ramps, off ramps....you know. It's clearly suited to that but as this was a "let's get acquainted" ride, there was no heavy petting. It has BattleAx 016s that look OK and very nice feeling Wilburs that are set up for a heavier rider, which I am. I'm impressed by them. My prior experience with good boingers has been with Ohlins, WP and Penske. At first blush I'd say the Wilburs stand up to and invite comparison with those. This package feels well suited to me and my riding style. The ride itself is excellent. It's compliant but well damped, tight feeling, smooth, civilized, a big thumbs up. I always have liked the anti dive characteristics of the Telelever and it seems to work well here. Steering is neutral and medium light. It's not as light as my Mille or Falco were but much superior to my old K1200RS, the slowest steering motorcycle I have ever owned. I like it think it splits weight and responsiveness well. I have never felt the Telelever is inherently as vague as other critics sometimes express and you just know BMW has the geometry for this design down pat for every application. This is the third BMW (model) I've owned with the Telelever and I think it's weighted differently on each bike. It feels biased towards high speed stability on the BCR but overall it's not a chore to make transitions. The (non-ABS) brakes feel very good, progressive, competent, no mush.

As I said though even with the straight through Laser (and the mystery of the PCIII), the bike feels lazier to me than I thought it would and I truthfully wasn't expecting it to rock my world. Since the fueling feels good in that there are no stutters, mumbling, hunting or surging I'm a bit perplexed. When I got home I put my hand behind the two exhaust outlets and noticed the left one was blowing hot air but the other (right side) was quite cold and felt as if the right cylinder wasn't firing. But it was as the cylinder head and header were hot.

I'm not sure what my unscientific observation means or what idle EGT signifies, but I've decided to give it a full tune and maybe clean the injectors as well as checking for spark at all four plugs. This is a dual spark motor, so I'm thinking....well, I don't know really. Fuel? Spark? Maybe it's just by comparison to my Multistrada with its spirited Testastretta? I don't have a proper standard of reference for this bike but I'm thinking it should pull harder. I have a hard time believing a bike in this condition with this few miles has lost compression so I think if there's an issue, it's likely elsewhere.

Anybody who wants to point me in a direction regarding that cold exhaust feel, I'm all ears and even open to ridicule. But not too much, please! (Ridicule, that is)

The stock muffler has an internal routing that sends nearly all the exhaust gases out one muffler outlet, while virtually ignoring the other. The Laser is similar, tho not quite as pronounced.
Keep the revs up over 5K if you want to feel the best of what the motor has to offer.
lots of info on these bikes at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/

welcome to the fold.....the R11S is one of the finest, most versatile and soul-satisfying bikes BMW ever produced, tho it does fall a bit short as a dual-sport.

Thank you biker. That explains my observation and makes me feel better on this nice Christmas day. I have been watching the Pelican boards but asked here knowing someone would have the answer. That would have been you!
Happy holidays, it's nice to be here.

Anybody who wants to point me in a direction regarding that cold exhaust feel, I'm all ears and even open to ridicule. But not too much, please! (Ridicule, that is)

Sounds like, after your first ride, you're going to keep it. :thumb

Bikerfish has already chimed in with accurate info on your exhaust temp question. And with a good suggestion on how to best extract the most performance from the engine.

I've got an S from which I have removed the cat. I didn't add any aftermarket fuel system modifiers as the bike runs perfectly. If you're "smelling exhaust" then I might venture a guess that you're running rich. What do the inside of your pipes look like? As well, the generally accepted fuel system modifier around here is the AF-XIED. If you need something like this, they're available here http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafo2sema.html

I also own a Testastretta-motored Ducati. As you're probably aware, it puts out about 50% more power than our opposed twins. That may be the reason for your bike's "lazier" feeling :D. The BCR is an EXCELLENT sport-touring bike. Ride it with that expectation and you'll get along just fine.

Yup, you found its natural environment, big sweepers. I have owned two and no bike I have ever owned did high speed big sweepers better. Very tight twisties and hairpins are not its strong suit, but they are still fun on the S.

I found the torque curve or sweet pulling range was down in the rpm range, not up. I know, we all know that. I really enjoyed canyon carving and almost not having to shift the bike because she would pull like a tractor from almost anywhere above idle.

Sounds like, after your first ride, you're going to keep it. :thumb
I also own a Testastretta-motored Ducati. As you're probably aware, it puts out about 50% more power than our opposed twins. That may be the reason for your bike's "lazier" feeling :D. The BCR is an EXCELLENT sport-touring bike. Ride it with that expectation and you'll get along just fine.

Thanks, BC. We're formerly from your neck of the woods (Seattle) and still have a tie to the place, including a lot of friends up your wat that we made while boating in your waters and riding your roads.

I've been thinking the bike might be running rich from the somewhat sooty layer of schmutz at the mouths of the pipes.....and the smell. Although, as I mentioned, it actually fuels well if by that one means no surging or stumbling. I have yet to examine the plugs/do a plug chop or check the throttle bodies as I received the bike here not yet 48 hours ago and the seller, whom I trust completely, just had the annual service done.

I'm not a big fan of fueling/timing dongles or really even messing with the factory set as a rule since I prefer not to open that can of worms but this machine came to me with all the attachments. I'll keep the Boneyard's AF-XIED in mind; I've done business with them before and buy the usual stuff from them; gaskets, filters, etc. It would not be out of character for me to disable the PCIII and see what comes of that.

I'm keeping the bike. It pairs nicely with my Multistrada. I love riding that bike, and it runs stock exhaust plumbing. At this point in my life I'm done with selling off the children anyway. I've always wanted to be a collector :)

Last edited:
Yup, you found its natural environment, big sweepers. I have owned two and no bike I have ever owned did high speed big sweepers better. Very tight twisties and hairpins are not its strong suit, but they are still fun on the S.

I found the torque curve or sweet pulling range was down in the rpm range, not up. I know, we all know that. I really enjoyed canyon carving and almost not having to shift the bike because she would pull like a tractor from almost anywhere above idle.

Typical for the breed and exactly what I expected. My K1200RS was fabulous in sweepers (talk about big girls!), not nearly as much fun in tighter circumstances. This bike is considerably more nimble than that was though.

Thanks, BC. We're formerly from your neck of the woods (Seattle) and still have a tie to the place, including a lot of friends up your wat that we made while boating in your waters and riding your roads.

I've been thinking the bike might be running rich from the somewhat sooty layer of schmutz at the mouths of the pipes.....and the smell. Although, I've seen and as I mentioned, it actually fuels well if by that one means no surging or stumbling.

I had a PC3 for a time, I pulled it off. Bike ran rich and had terrible gas mileage. Mine never surged or stumbled with or without the PC3.

I've been thinking about the exhaust gas routing since hearing from you that most of it is routed to the left muffler and it has raised this question that may or may not have an answer: why'd they do that?:scratch Is it a matter of "so much for balanced exhausts, equal length headers, etc etc" or is there something I'm missing?

I've been thinking about the exhaust gas routing since hearing from you that most of it is routed to the left muffler and it has raised this question that may or may not have an answer: why'd they do that?:scratch Is it a matter of "so much for balanced exhausts, equal length headers, etc etc" or is there something I'm missing?

Uh, you'll note the single pipe up from the cat converter to the muffler (or from where the cat was). It's simply cosmetic that there appear to be two mufflers at the end.

Here's something you can take to the bank: BMW's middle name is motor and NOBODY can design a better exhaust system.

Uh, you'll note the single pipe up from the cat converter to the muffler (or from where the cat was). It's simply cosmetic that there appear to be two mufflers at the end.

Here's something you can take to the bank: BMW's middle name is motor and NOBODY can design a better exhaust system.

I'm not pitting myself against the engineers, but in the event, why not just a single properly sized can at the end of the run, styled however they liked? Why bother with the second one at all....weight, expense, etc? Does that make sense? I assumed both cans served a function, as they are part of the exhaust plumbing. Even if that purpose were solely to make a particular sound, which I am lately given to understand was a part of including the Laser package in the first place. If it was simply a styling exercise, so be it. Expressed with full respect for BMW who know worlds more than I ever will about making motors. I found it initially a concern but when disabused of that idea and having given it a day's thought, I just wondered why.

Don't overthink this...it's just prettier :dance

On another line of thinking...BMW factory installed an Akropovic system on our R12S...must have been approved by the MOTOR company as being a good design.

Alright, no more on this unique feature then! I'll ring you guys up next time I have another discovery that needs explanation though.....count on it.

Had me thinking...ours doesn't do that:scratch

Full Staintune system (no longer available new) , no cat or Y pipe. Both cans have equal pulses of fire. Only complaint on this bike is the headers under your tail get really hot under heavy throttle use...but I accept it since the bike makes me grin regardless.

Stumbled upon this site...can't believe it took this long to have it pop up. If nothing else, a fun read on a cold day. BTW, they have an opinion on engine mods and even poke fun at the system on ours. They are big V twin guys, but BMW and other makes are in their catalog of mods.

The pic with single can from their Black Hole system on the S looks funny to me. Some of you YamaHonZuki and Ducatista's owners may not:wave

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackhole/bmwr1100exhausts.html

On another styling set up is the dual exhaust appearance Thumper 650 GS. Right side can has exit, the left one just gets really HOT!

These guys at least sound like they know what they're talking about. Thanks!

Yeah, if you go to their site, lot's of history and stories of what they are about and have done. Reads like an ADV thread!

Pretty big changes for the ol' S with their full kit. Regardless of original engineering...who doesn't like folks who tweak things? Well, I know a few who don't:whistle

Steve, The StainTune is a true 2-into-2 system. The Lazer is a 2-into-1-into-2ish.
That 2ish part makes all the difference in exh pulses.

There were very active discussions years ago on the Pelican site regarding those Blackholes. Unanimous consensus was "elephant butt ugly". Very few, if any reports of actual performance, iirc. Most who tried to contact RBRacing said it seemed like they really didn't want to sell you anything.

Back