• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Base Model 2024 R1250RT

riffian64

Riffian64
Long time BMW rider here.

Looking to transition to a 2024 R1250RT from a 2016 R1200GSA. Are there any base model RTs being shipped to the US? I want nothing to do with the "Premium Package". The dealers are either selling only premium package RTs or they are adding "market adjustments" to the RT price. I can't find an RT below $26K+........MSRP on the base model is $20K plus change.

I love the bikes but the dealers leave much to be desired...

Any insight?

You can custom order a bike from your dealer with the options you specifically want. Depending on time of year, the process takes several months. Dealers typically order bikes for the shop floor with all options.

Long time BMW rider here.

Looking to transition to a 2024 R1250RT from a 2016 R1200GSA. Are there any base model RTs being shipped to the US? I want nothing to do with the "Premium Package". The dealers are either selling only premium package RTs or they are adding "market adjustments" to the RT price. I can't find an RT below $26K+........MSRP on the base model is $20K plus change.

I love the bikes but the dealers leave much to be desired...

Any insight?

If you look at the list of what's in the "premium" package, I think you'll see it includes the components that make the RT a very good touring bike. Without them, it would be a far less capable ride. I test rode a bare bones RT a few years ago and it paled compared to the fully equipped model. As a result the dealer was practically giving it away - I declined because the bike still commanded a hefty price and not particularly good value compared to the loaded version.

I suspect the base + premium pricing is a marketing ploy to make the bike look more affordable. If you compare the pricing with the GS - they have very similar base prices and the add-on packages differentiate the models. Again, there's a lot of expensive stuff in the premium package. I've always considered the RT pricing of base+premium as the price of the bike - none of it as optional even though mine came without the ACC (which is fine by me). BMW kept pricing pretty flat for the R1250RT's first few years and the 2024 price increase reflects the past year's world-wide inflation - the 2024 model is about 4% more than my 2022. For reference, Honda's Goldwing increased by almost the same percentage this year.

For reference, Honda's Goldwing increased by almost the same percentage this year.

Better check those numbers! The 2024 Goldwing is the same price it was in 2023. Right to the dollar. It might have changed from 2022 to 2023, but not much, maybe 1%. I just bought a 2023 Touring DCT and watched prices closely. There was a lot of talk on a couple GW groups when the new models came out about Honda not changing prices, even though everyone expected them too.

As for the RT there are few out there without the extras added from the factory. I suspect if the OP really wants a base RT, he will have to order it.

You can custom order a bike from your dealer with the options you specifically want.

He can order the base model but if he wants to add something like TPM he's forced to take the premium package.
He can pick and choose Option 719 pieces but that's about it.
How you can setup the bike varies in different countries.

I'm tighter than an apple peel in June, but ended up with the premium and use all the options nearly every ride.

He can order the base model but if he wants to add something like TPM he's forced to take the premium package.
He can pick and choose Option 719 pieces but that's about it.
How you can setup the bike varies in different countries.

Agreed. Use BMW Motarrad's website to configure a bike. With that you get to see how options are bundled. If one truly wants one with no options, then thatvis definitely doable.

Better check those numbers! The 2024 Goldwing is the same price it was in 2023. Right to the dollar. It might have changed from 2022 to 2023, but not much, maybe 1%. I just bought a 2023 Touring DCT and watched prices closely. There was a lot of talk on a couple GW groups when the new models came out about Honda not changing prices, even though everyone expected them too.

As for the RT there are few out there without the extras added from the factory. I suspect if the OP really wants a base RT, he will have to order it.

If you go to the Honda website and chose the Goldwing (as opposed to the DCT), you can flip between the 2023 and 2024 models and see the price increase.

Base model RT1250s are hard to find.

I bought a 2023 base model RT in white from Cycle Werks in Barrington IL last Sept.

Only option was the tubular handlebar which is great for attaching a cell phone holder. Bike has a compartment for phone but case has to be removed.

I came from Concours 1400, so I missed the 'keyless ride' fob (my bike has a key) and the tire pressure sensors.

The old bike didn't have ESA, so not a big deal. $20K

What other have said .... if you want most any option you need to buy the packages. There are a few items I don't want but I DO want a few others. Hence I will probably be buying the premium. Also, if it matters, a bare bones bike is harder to sell in the aftermaket. I remember back in the Gold Wing 1500 days they introduced the "Interstate" version which had far less of the luxo features and it did not sell. (In earlier days the Interstate was the loaded up model but in the 1500 vintage it was the base version)

Thanks for all the comments. I've decided to keep riding the GSA I have and see what happens in a year or two. The GSA is a great motorcycle and I couldn't find a good enough reason to change models. See you down the road...

David Luttrell
2016 R1200 GSA (still)

Back