• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Balljoint Replacement Adventure

ROLLIFAHRER

My '98 1100RT blew a fork seal, so I pulled the fender, wheel, etc. and didn't have any problems until I tried to remove the 2 bolts that attach the fork slider to the lower fork bridge. The studs on top of the fork tubes are rubber mounted to the top fork bridge (triple clamp), and with one fork off, the other just kind of flops around when you try to turn the bolts. Lesson 1: loosen both sides before removing one side.

I had felt a little slop in the steering at the bars, and decided maybe it was the balljoint. With a little heat, the ball joint top nut came off and the remaining fork came out easily enough for service. OK, why not replace the balljoint? The bike has 125K and I plan to keep it and it's a lot of work get to it and, and, and. Called my shop, yes they have it, $100.00. OK what if it fails far from home? What if I need towed 300 miles? What if I hav eto wait for the part? what if I get gouged on the replacment? OK 100.00 worth of insurnace.

According to Clymer, you need heat for the top nut due to LockTight, but the bottom just takes a 46 MM scocket. Well, not just a 46 MM, a 46 MM DEEPWELL, which of course the techs at my shop didn't have. No problem, I'll get one at NAPA and have it to share w other oilers. Uh, forgot to check the torque spec.: 96 ft/lbs. My vice is in a storage unit with no power, so I took my heat gun and 1000 watt generator. I put a pipe on my breaker and tried it. No go. I fired up the little Honda and put the heat on high. Also no go; breaker you see. OK let's try low; no go, not hot enough. Lesson 2: 96 ft/lbs is a LOT if you don't have a good vice and a huge breaker and/or an industrial heat gun AND 20 amps.

I took the whole shebang over to the shop that works on my cars. Yeah, no problem. Hey Rick, this 46 MM doesn't fit, too loose. Plus the nut is very thin and you lose some grip due the the thick wall of the socket catching the recess around the nut. I told the car tech the beemer tech said it might need heat. No, I won't hit this forged aluminum with oxy/acet., it'll freakin' melt, he explained. I thought, well how about propane or electric, but decided to let the meister do his thing. I was chatting with the owner when I heard the sweet sound of a pnuematic impact wrench grunt and groan then spin unloaded. Lesson 3: they're called pros for a reason!

Total cost: 105.00 with tax for part; 50.00 for socket and 1/2" to 3/4: drive adapter; 2 hours chasing parts and failing to remove it; 15 minutes and a case of cheap beer for a professional mechanic; significant ego damage.

Anybody need a 46 MM deepwell, impact socket? I won't need it for another 125 thousand miles!

Last edited:
I did both the upper and lower ball joints on my 94 R11RS last year, and it brought back the steering to what it sued to be, and got rid of the shudder I was getting in the front end.

I did it in mt garage, by myself. But I was fortunate to use the BMW factory tools since I work part time at Nick's BMW. But even with that, it took a pipe extension on my 3/4" breaker bar, along with a LOT of heat applied with my heat gun, to get those loose!

And getting the right torque after assembly was a challenge too. Really best left to your local BMW shop unless you got the moxy to take it on yourself. But I am glad I did it! Now my old friend handles like it did back in 95, especially after treating it/me to a set of Wilbers shocks. best moeny I ever spent on the bike!

Hey Andy,

I asked my beemer shop guys to swap out the balljoint when I picked it up, but they didn't have a 46MM deepwell socket. Embarassing! Otherwise a great dealer to work with.

I also put Wilbers on it last year, bought from Nick's, and was extremely pleased with the improvement.

BTW: I misread the torque spec and had to take it back to increase torque fron 96 ft/lbs (for top nut) to 170. The tech nearly twisted the vice off the bench, but I heard it click, so I should be good for another 100 or so thousand miles.

Rick, that is really surprising that a BMW dealer didn't have the tool for that work. Nick's BMW is big on serivce, both Jim and John come from engineer/mechanic backgrounds so to them the right tools are the only way to go.

I have a great time working part time at Nicks.

Jim claims I only do it to get parts close to dealer cost, but its a lot more than that alone. I really enjoy it!

Motohio is a very successful operation, but they also carry Triumph and Ducati. Owner's position on special tools is: if not needed for normal maintenance, they buy them as needed. It peeves the techs, but I can't say I blame the owners. Overhead eats up even the most profitable businesses. Aside from that, they are strait shooters and very accomodating to older bikes, including airheads. Their parts guy, who was GREAT, left recently and I keep threatening to take over his spot part time.

Back